Net Neutrality question

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
According to the FCC all data needs to be treated equally.
An Open Internet means consumers can go where they want, when they want. This principle is often referred to as Net Neutrality. It means innovators can develop products and services without asking for permission. It means consumers will demand more and better broadband as they enjoy new lawful Internet services, applications and content, and broadband providers cannot block, throttle, or create special "fast lanes" for that content. The FCC's Open Internet rules protect and maintain open, uninhibited access to legal online content without broadband Internet access providers being allowed to block, impair, or establish fast/slow lanes to lawful content

But according to Networx instant internet usage report, Excede does not participate in Net Neutrality. When loading a website such as Facebook, or this website, speed goes around 150 KBPs. When loading YouTube speeds often run at 56KBPs, and don't break 100 KBPs. But it gets even worse when trying to log into a minecraft server, as speeds can drop as low as 5KPBS making it impossible to log into a server.

The difference in internet speeds is not consistent, some days it all loads at around the same speed, but other days I get throttled to death. The throttling occurs both before and after I run out of priory data.

So just let all data through at equal speeds and I can be happy. 
Photo of Jonathan Marhold

Jonathan Marhold

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Exede isn't doing the throttling, except when you run out of data or your beam is overloaded to where the demand can not be met.  Outside of prime time, differences in speeds are usually based on server loading and also how those servers respond to the latency created by a satellite Internet connection. 

And actually, with speeds as low as you are reporting, if accurate, you might want to have someone from Exede look at your system.  You could have an equipment or configuration problem.
Photo of Brian Shackelford

Brian Shackelford

• 848 Posts
  • 244 Reply Likes
Based on the speeds there, it almost seems like you might be over your Priority Data on a classic or Evolution plan. What plan are you on with Exede and do you know if you have gone over your data allotment for your current billing cycle?
Photo of Jonathan Marhold

Jonathan Marhold

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes I am out of priority data, but YouTube loads at 240p (56kbps) just fine. And FB loads up to 500kbps, and yet MineCraft loads at 5kbps or slower, just very irritating. 

I would simply go metal detecting instead of playing games, but it is the middle of winter, and digging through snow and frozen earth isn't as much fun as it sounds.

Here is a screen shot.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
The Networx graph you're showing is a measure of throughput (the amount amount of data measured against time for all current applications) not speed. In order for it to approach 12 Mbps (1.5 MBps) something would have to be sending data at that rate.

All ISPs play fast and loose with the term speed in their marketing - the figure they give is more a measure of capacity than one of speed (hence the asterisk on most of them that says "up to"). In order to gauge the actual speed requires a sustained file download over a lengthy period of time (or even watching a video) in a controlled environment. This is what speed test sites do - a sustained download while averaging the result over a period of time since internet traffic is bursty by nature.

While not fond of analogies, a friend of mine recently got a Mercedes Kompressor with a ridiculously high speedometer limit. Try as much as he could, we never got above 35 mph in a trip up I-95 into DC during rush hour. While I have little doubt it could reach its top speed based on acceleration, we'll have to wait for more the ideal circumstances and a visit to Bonneville or the Autobahn (even then it will have to wait since he traded it in once he figured out what gas mileage he was getting and what his insurance premiums were - opting for something a little more practical, a Civic).  .

One of the speed test sites will provide a more accurate gauge of your speeds, but then again they're only a general indicator of your connection's health for a sustained download at a given point in time.        

Personally, I put little faith in speed tests since they don't reflect the reality of how I use the internet (downloads and videos are limited to the free zone or a trip to the library; even then free zone use is limited to the latter part of it as are most speed tests since they then reflect what I'm doing) - the only real measure for me is it fast enough to get the things done that I want to do in a timely fashion (so I rarely bother to do them on a regular basis since they're simply chewing up data that can best be used elsewhere and that's what I'm paying for). Like many here, the best I can expect is satellite internet and its limitations.   
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I'd guess that the Minecraft speed has more to do with how their servers handle high latency connections than with the speed Exede allows you at any given time. You might want to contact their support people about it.

I've faced that problem with three different game companies and, two of the three worked with me to adjust things on their end and, solve the problem. Once they understand that adjusting for high latency will not affect low latency players, and figure out what to do, most are happy to make the small changes, especially if you can find other players with the same problem, for the same reason.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 497 Posts
  • 167 Reply Likes
This further confirms what I knew all along: any website can be made to work with satellite internet; the website owners just have to want to do it.  Also, I get the impression that the problems that people are complaining about here are the fault of the websites they visit and not Exede.
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 675 Posts
  • 305 Reply Likes
Official Response
Net neutrality rules primarily are aimed at content. With our service, we enforce a data allowance policy to better manage our network, which is permissible. Here's from the FCC rule book:

Any person engaged in the provision of broadband Internet access service, insofar as
such person is so engaged, shall not unreasonably interfere with or unreasonably
disadvantage (i) end users’ ability to select, access, and use broadband Internet access
service or the lawful Internet content, applications, services, or devices of their choice, or
(ii) edge providers’ ability to make lawful content, applications, services, or devices
available to end users. Reasonable network management shall not be considered a
violation of this rule
Photo of Don Anderson Sr.

Don Anderson Sr.

• 71 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
Reasonable network management is also reasonable pricing of data with/use of data caps which the FCC says is way out of line in outlying areas.
(Edited)
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 497 Posts
  • 167 Reply Likes
You can thank the FCC and other government agencies for this.  Further, Exede has made and continues to make great progress on data allowances, and their pace is accelerating.  Exede now has unlimited data plans.  This, even with the government headwinds they no doubt face.
Photo of Jamie Baudizzon

Jamie Baudizzon

• 30 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
exede has been the absolute worst internet company I have ever dealt with.  I believe that johnathan has a valid point and the official response avoids the real issue.  this company has been deceitful and absolutely takes terrible advantage of the customers and plays fast and loose with the truth to say the least.  we all should be filing complaints with the fcc
(Edited)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Specific complaints?