Need modem relocated within my home

• Question
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
Curious about cost to have someone come out and make the change.
Photo of Bonnie Jane Rhine

Bonnie Jane Rhine

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 374 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
Service calls are $95 and are a crap shoot, you could get someone well equipped and skilled or some kid who shows up with his girlfriend in tow and nothing but a screw driver in his pocket. Good luck to you. The last line is a true story when I had Viasat.
(Edited)

Bonnie Jane Rhine

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Appreciate the info very much!
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 374 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
www.doityourself.com

That is a great place to learn to do things yourself. Not sure if your modem move is a major project or something simple, are we talking going into another room and drilling through an outside wall? If it is not a simple job I would try to get a referral and hire a local handyman. The Viasat 3rd party contractors as I said are a crap shoot.
(Edited)
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
It would be easier to give some advice if we knew what kind of move you had in mind and what kind of construction is involved.  Basement, crawlspace, attic?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
Exactly, let's first determine why the OP needs the modem relocated. There may be other options.

$95 is a bit on the light side - you'll be looking at more than without Easy Care and even then it may not qualify as a relocate - a relocate applies to moving the dish not the modem.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 324 Posts
  • 282 Reply Likes
P.S. Even with Easy Care a relocate costs $95.

Bonnie Jane Rhine

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well, it's really not a major move but I will still need assistance.  If I can't get help from someone within the neighborhood, I'll just have to pay the $95.00.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 374 Posts
  • 148 Reply Likes
Can't you just run a Lan cable from a router along the baseboards? Not the prettiest, but functional.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1620 Posts
  • 943 Reply Likes
Yes why. And why not just install a better router if coverage is an issue.

Bonnie Jane Rhine

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
thanks but coverage is not the issue I need the modem relocated So I can put my grandson's Xbox in a different room.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1620 Posts
  • 943 Reply Likes
Okay.  Is that because the Xbox is connected directly to the modem?

Can the Xbox connect via Wifi?

Bonnie Jane Rhine

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yes ,  Xbox is connected directly to modem.  I'm not real saavy with all this, but we live out in the country and I am using Viasat along with my Dish network to enable the usage of the Xbox.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1620 Posts
  • 943 Reply Likes
Okay. You could connect it via wifi and them you wouldnt have to move the modem. To pay $95 to move a modem with cabling to another room, not sure an installer will be too happy to do that.
Photo of Harvey Mueller

Harvey Mueller

• 161 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Or if it has to be hardwired use a powerline range extender. Something like this. $68 and move it anywhere in the house

TP-Link AV1000 Powerline Wifi Extender, Powerline Adapter - Dual Band WiFi, Gigabit Port, Noise Suppression Design, Plug&Play, Power Saving(Tl-WPA7510 KIT) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0725LPTZR/...

Bonnie Jane Rhine

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks everyone.  I'll see what I can do.    Your information/suggestions have
 been very helpful!
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 92 Posts
  • 50 Reply Likes
Most newer Xbox have wireless built in (I'd think).  Some older ones had an adapter to add on, I think....  So, if you already have wireless set up, for connecting things like laptops without a cable, you might have everything already, might not need the cable, unless it doesn't transmit strong enough to go through walls at the distance needed.

I didn't see if you had wifi or not, and maybe you don't know.  Does the satellite modem plug into anything other than the xbox?  Like a little box with antennas?  Describe the satellite modem, (shape, color, all details).  Model of the xbox would also be helpful, perhaps, might be on a tag under it (I have never actually looked at an xbox to know if it's tagged).

Here's a flat ethernet cable.  https://www.amazon.com/Ethernet-Internet-Network-Computer-Connectors/dp/B00WD017BG  I've got a shorter one similar, work good.  They are easy to put under things like rugs, along walls, in cracks, wherever, different than a round cable, perhaps.  Might not be practical for what you are doing or where it's going, but just an option if it would work.
Photo of John Postizzi

John Postizzi

• 40 Posts
  • 36 Reply Likes
WiFi extenders are inexpensive. You could leave the modem where it is and use the WiFi extender to reach other places in you house.

Bonnie Jane Rhine

• 7 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Okay, thanks. Guess I will Google WiFi extenders and find out what all is needed to accomplish my goal.