Nearing 1 year of service

• Praise
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
At first with gaming online, we quickly understood that "split second" gaming was out of the question. No big deal. I am happy with my service (gaming, telephone, browsing, and roku). Viasat is both dependable and reliable. Any prospective customer should research satellite internet to make sure it is right for them. Subsequently, I believe that might alleviate most of the forum negativity. GET THE EASY CARE PLAN! For $10 a month it is certainly worth it. You never know when things might happen. 

EXAMPLES:
I had a roommate drunkenly knock my dish out of line cause I wouldn't give them the Wi-Fi password.

I got an eviction notice for my dog doing $35 in property damage and barking at neighbors.

IF I DID NOT HAVE EASY CARE, it would have been $95 for each instance and quite possibly a $200 fee for installing at the new residence. A really neat service Viasat offers is the hibernation plan. During my relocation I simply didn't go from A to B. There were about three months of being between places. During this time I merely paid for equipment fees and easy care. A modest $20 or so. Upon establishing residence, all it took was a 20 minute phone call to schedule a technician and I was back online in a few days. Only catch was renewing the two year contract. Again, no big deal I am a satisfied customer.

On a side note: Does anyone know why we cannot factory reset the Gateway or triangle anymore? Is it Wi-Fi demons?
Photo of James

James

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • High on the marijuana pot leaf

Posted 1 month ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2804 Posts
  • 1455 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of James

James

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
IDK & IDK. Are you automated? I browsed the forum and you ask that A LOT. I will have you know A.I. is the sworn enemy of my people. It is our prime directive to seek out and neutralize artificial intelligence.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3509 Posts
  • 1317 Reply Likes
Stephen will pass the Turing test if you ask him about Deloreans or Cajun recipes. About 80% of the time regarding data Stephen is correct in asking that because strong chance the person is over data limitations
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
I dont believe Easycare covers dish relocation anymore. And if you do the math you will pay more for Easycare over the life of the contract than what you would in service calls. Viasat thanks you!
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
How is a hibernation plan a good deal? You are paying something for nothing and it doesn't keep you grandfathered in. I always wonder where the people that over the top praise Viasat come from. I think they must have lived their life on over congested dial-up or they are just trolls.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Agreed. You still pay lease fees and they wont hold the plan. SiriusXM has a hibernation plan. No fees up to five months and they hold your plan. If it worked that way, I would say okay.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3510 Posts
  • 1317 Reply Likes
the alternatives is to pay the full months it's not in use which is well above the $20 or so on vacation or a termination fee if cancelling 
Photo of Robin

Robin

• 131 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
that great to hear you have had good service. Im closing on 2 months now and have been very impressed.  The biggest negative, not about the service, but this forum  has been the few trolls in this forum who seem to live here, many whom do not use Viasat and who will take every opportunity to slam ViaSat going to great lengths to explain why you are not enjoying ViaSat.  I have learned how to block them so its been a much more pleasant experience.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2175 Posts
  • 1336 Reply Likes
Slamming ViaSat and expressing one's experience with it are two entirely different things.  And those people you're currently mocking have a LOT more experience with ViaSat than you.  

And who's the troll, Robin?  You're the one going around and calling those who haven't had a good experience with ViaSat "whinners".  

Block that.  
Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 270 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
Care to share how to block? A lot of us could use that and reciprocate. 
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2175 Posts
  • 1336 Reply Likes
Something tells me you won't get an answer.  As we all know, GetSat itself doesn't have a blocking feature.  
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 94 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Robin is the troll since he/she seems to be full of BS. The person seems incapable of posting a screenshot of their speeds with an accurate ping time that reflects being on a satellite connection. Now he/she says they know how to block users on this forum. More BS. Robin is fake.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3510 Posts
  • 1317 Reply Likes
there isn't.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Anyone else notice how Robin lives on while continuing to insult people? At the same time the mods claim to be unbiased. If Robin was anti-Viasat they would have been vaporized after a couple posts.

Dances with Woofs

• 270 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
As opposed to, oh, let's say:

How is a hibernation plan a good deal? You are paying something for nothing and it doesn't keep you grandfathered in. I always wonder where the people that over the top praise Viasat come from. I think they must have lived their life on over congested dial-up or they are just trolls.

It cuts both ways... the original poster didn't deserve that either.  
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Seriously, you don't think people who over the top praise Viasat aren't doing it to thumb their nose at those that don't live in the area of a magic beam? If they were an educated customer and just wanting to spread the kind word about a great service they would list an exact location where they are at as we all know it is about location, location, location with wireless types of internet and cell service. Most of the braggarts on here do not pin point where they are at.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
On the other hand those that have poor service and a general bad experience have a habit of naming exactly where they are at. That is how I know the I-95 corridor in Central Va is notoriously bad. In here and on other forums people have posted from Chilesburgh, Montpelier, Stafford, Beaverdam, Partlow, etc about horrible service. I am in the Ladysmith area. Also people in Ohio in here with bad service have named the towns they are in or near. I don't remember those as they don't ring a bell with me as I do not live or travel in Ohio.
(Edited)

Dances with Woofs

• 270 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
Seriously, no I don't think so - no more so than I find your's and other's knee jerk  criticism of those who have good experiences as homers, shills, trolls, etc. I'm in Stafford and have  had a reasonable experience - most of my neighbors have had a similar experience and still do. Once again you speak of your experience of a year ago. I don't dismiss your experiences automatically.

Please take a look in the mirror - you are no better than Robin when it comes down to it and will take any opportunity you can find to dismiss opinions not critical of Viasat. You thumb your nose at them - as I said it cuts both ways.

You're the one who took what could have been a reasoned discussion about the benefits (or lack thereof) of the hibernation plan and EasyCare and made it personal giving Robin his opportunity to troll you. 

Instead you could have factually challenged the OP's inaccuracies:

EasyCare doesn't cover relocation to a different address and hibernation's only benefit has been noted by Brad - avoiding cancel fees while saving a few $$$ each month. Moving to a new location will result in a new plan that's currently offered - the original poster has had service for a year - chances are he had an unlimited plan to begin. Moving to a new location has typically been a free install in the past with a new two year commit.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
I would rather have a discussion on is Easycare really worth it or not. Hibernation too.

There is positives and negatives to both. Personally, I think there are more negatives to them than positives over the benefits, but that is my opinion. I think what can be agreed on is both plans benefit Viasat more, as they wouldn't be offering them if they lost money on them.

Easycare? Basically a way to pay service calls in installments, if you even have service calls. Otherwise, you are throwing money away.

Hibernation? Saves the customer sone money yes, but Viasat is still getting their cut, just not as much. Sort of paying say x% of a car lease, but you cant drive the car then.

To each his own. It is a persons money, not mine. Spend it how you want!

Dances with Woofs

• 270 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
Same here but unfortunately we can't really have that conversation when things turn into a pissing match and it gets drowned out by the white noise.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Easy Care is in the same class as an extended warranty, they would not be offered if they did not generate a profit for the company selling them. Viasat isn't selling something that will lower their profits. Those Car Shield auto extended warranty ads are blaring all over the broadcast TV in my area. I think they run neck and neck with Viasat for most numerous. If beam 329 is no longer congested they are trying hard here to load it back up.

Dances with Woofs

• 270 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
Actually, the beam 329 area in my area is now being sold the Viasat-2 unlimited plans and are actually on Viasat-2 - those same neighbors I mentioned above have the Viasat-2 modem and the dish is clearly pointed towards that bird. They're actually quite impressed - at least for now.  I keep meaning to go over and check it out personally. But they assure me it's still usable even when going over their meager data threshold Trust me they made fully informed decisions but they are happy their kids have at least a fighting chance in keeping up their school requirements and have made that their priority not games, streaming, etc.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
How do you know if it is a Viasat 2 offering? Do you have the same offerings as zip code 22501 and the surrounding areas? Mine when I had it was Viasat 1 I believe as it was a black modem.

Dances with Woofs

• 270 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
As I said, white modem and the dishes are pointed in the direction of columbia not the Galapagos - due south vs southwest. They are also at an elevation of just under 45 degrees as opposed to 31 degrees making it much easier for them to have q clear line of sight over the trees.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
I meant if you were looking into new service, I understand about the modem color difference.

Dances with Woofs

• 270 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
You have to ask Viasat and get them to commit. The only way to verify is on install. If I were to go with one, I'd verify both the modem and to install where the dish is going to be pointed when installed - if not what I expected, well... bye. But those plans are what were offered to my neighbors (all unlimited 12 Mbps)

Circumstances change - even the original poster was singing a much different tune 10 months ago - apparently being "High on the marijuana pot leaf" makes a big diff in perceptions also ;)

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/shouldnt-you-prorate-for-horrible-service
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
I thought an in the know person could tell by what is offered in an area what satellite it was on.

Dances with Woofs

• 270 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
That would be a dealer in your area.

https://www.exede.com/locate-a-dealer

Spot beams have specific coverage areas - the line has to be drawn somewhere and unlike Viasat-1 we don't know the Viasat-2 spot beam coverage areas.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Viasat-2 beams are a mystery wrapped in a riddle covered by an enigma.

I would have stayed with Viasat if I could have moved to a Viasat-2 high density spot beam. I am sure I would have been happy with it too. But the satellite antennas had different ideas, and the ability to get "unlimited" 50 Mbps as was originally planned went up in smoke.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Nothing more than "up to 12 Mbps" is offered currently in my area. I thought that meant Viasat 1.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Being that Viasat-2 was to offer a MINIMUM "up to" speed of 25Mbps, I can understand why you are thinking that.

Dances with Woofs

• 270 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
Those 12 Mbps unlimited plans were the options my neighbors had - for them they are definitely Viasat-2. Higher speeds appear to be reserved for the more lucrative business plans in my area.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
I figured most of Stafford would be hardwired high speed as it is only 10 miles from Quantico & right on I-95. I guess not, Virginia is a strange place when it come to infrastructure. We sure have a lot of cops all over the place though.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
And I cant legally use my radar detector!

Dances with Woofs

• 270 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
However in Stafford, it is legal for a man to beat his wife on the courthouse steps so long as it is before 8:00 pm.

http://www.weirdfacts.com/en/weird-state-laws/65-weird-virginia.html
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
I didn't think cops used radar any more, I thought it was a laser device. Whatever it is they are thick as flies at the trash dump in the summer, manning speed traps along I-95 and I-295 as long as the weather is decent. On a foul weather day they are nowhere to be seen. They don't "protect & serve" here, they are just revenue agents writing traffic citations up the wazoo.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Radar and laser is used. They cant strictly use laser because you must be stationary for laser to work. So when they are travelling on the road and if you zip by them too fast, they would need to hit you with x, k, or ka band to determine your speed.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
All the speed traps here the cops are sitting in gaps in the wooded medians, they are not moving. In many sections of I-95 and I-295 there is one every half mile. As far as the Virginia State Police is concerned you rarely see them moving. They are either parked with a speed gun out the window or have someone pulled over writing them a ticket.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
The speed gun when stationary is laser.
Photo of Ron D Stricklin

Ron D Stricklin

• 81 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
You are literally praising someone for praising viasat while slamming that people can be disgruntled by viasat service. SMH.
Photo of Robin

Robin

• 131 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Hi James.  Write down the list of responders to your post.....these are the trolls that dominate this forum and that you should ignore.  One little hint of positivity towards ViaSat and they stream out of the cracks like roaches in a horror movie. 
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 69 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
You're on the list of people to ignore, far more than they are.  One little hint of negativity towards ViaSat and you were namecalling, and your other shennanigans.

True statements are not bashing.  People can post their negative experiences the same as you can post your positive ones (if you even have service).  If you do have service, you live in an area that is apparently one of the least congested.  Not everyone does.   Not everyone receives their plan speeds.  I haven't seen "good" satellite in almost 10  years (good as in no primetime slowdown or other occasional issue).  That's a fact, and you can't dictate to others what facts they can share.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
20+ years of under 1.5Mbps primetime priority speeds. But what do I know. I only had satellite internet since its inception in the mid 90's.
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 69 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
I only had it about a decade, but have been around it often since '96. Used it yesterday. I was lucky to see 0.2 when I left. But us whinners are just trolls since we don't know anything about how the service works.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Yea. When Viasat unilaterally changed how the Freedom plan worked, I had enough. 200kbps every evening on priority data.

Are there people satisfied with Viasat? There are. But show me a person that has said, sure wish I still had Viasat after getting rid of it.

Dances with Woofs

• 270 Posts
  • 242 Reply Likes
But show me a person that has said, sure wish I still had Viasat after getting rid of it.
Try the Hughesnet Support Community ;)

There are a few and Ron Frank may be trending that way soon...

https://community.hughesnet.com/t5/Tech-Support/Going-on-90-days-NOT-happy-with-data-quot-usage-quot/m-p/114996
(Edited)
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 94 Posts
  • 31 Reply Likes
Robin, what plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2175 Posts
  • 1336 Reply Likes
Actually, Robin, most of us have no problem with people praising their ViaSat service.  Lots of people have good service from them, just like James.  What we DO have a problem with is someone who obsessively praises them, and I do mean obsessively, while at the same time mocking and belittling anyone who says they are having an issue with ViaSat.  

You reap what you sow, and you have very much  earned the replies you're getting.  You can't demean people over and over and not earn the reputation you have. 
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
A troll is a person that over the top brags about Viasat and then won't share their exact location so others around them would know they possibly could be in a good area for satellite service. You are doing nothing except annoying the less fortunate that are stuck with poor service.
Photo of James

James

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
What‘s with your greenish multiple swastika avatar, bro? ;)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
I didn't pick the avatar and they don't look like swastikas to me.
Photo of bubs

bubs

• 69 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
No they don't. James, what's with the snowflake looking avatar?
Photo of James

James

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Believe me, 2 months after signing up i was calling for violence toward viasat and their property. Threatening to fix my banking to Viasats loss. However, i did not understand at the time, all that went into satellite internet. If you know how it works, what you might expect, and what exactly you're being offered, than you will most likely be satisfied. Hell i can get fiber optic here for $30 dollars cheaper. You know what though? I would rather some owl hoot psycho pervert in Carlsbad, California know how sociopathic and perverted I am, than 4-9 people that live in the same small town. Viasat works when you make it work for ya! 
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Now you sound off your rocker, you are paying more for Viasat than you could get fiber optic for? Viasat doesn't work for everyone no matter how hard they try. It is all about location. I had minimal needs just wanting something as good as DSL of 25 years ago. I don't play video games or stream video. I can get by on 15 GB of priority data. A half dozen years and a half dozen service calls and it was usually either down or running under 1 Mbps.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Sounds like it is the weekend!

BUT. It is Halloween Eve. Tomorrow is All Hallows Eve, and Friday is All Saints Day. So yea!
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 297 Posts
  • 114 Reply Likes
Strange we have people picking Viasat over standard cable and fiber optic yet I would have traded mine for 25 year old DSL. I once was considering getting dial up as a back up. I suppose if you were in an area where you were the only Viasat customer within a 25 mile radius you could have blazing fast service. I don't know.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1466 Posts
  • 867 Reply Likes
Still high latency and throttled video resolution no matter where you live.