My workshop is 125 feet from the house. What can I do to get internet in my shop

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I don't want to get a whole system. I only use it to look at parts houses. Just need to extend the system so I can use it 125 feet from the house.
Photo of Paul Hisaw

Paul Hisaw

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • curious

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 230 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
What are you willing to do? Dig a trunk? Run an aerial line? Wireless only?
Photo of Paul Hisaw

Paul Hisaw

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Whatever it takes
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 230 Posts
  • 80 Reply Likes
A wireless bridge is the easiest way and what I use for my workshop, but it has been less than 100% reliable. If I was able to easily dig a trench, I would run a length of optical fiber, or at least a point to point run of Cat 6 cable. I am using one of these in extender mode and it works reasonably well given the price. https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-CPE210...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
Pretty simple. See if you can get a long range extender. Place it on the inside wall of your house facing your shed. Should work. I mean my wifi easily extends more than 125 feet in all directions from the house.
(Edited)
Photo of Paul Hisaw

Paul Hisaw

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What wifi extender do you have>?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes

I use a Linksys AC1900 Gigabit Range Extender / WiFi Booster / Repeater MU-MIMO (Max Stream RE7000).  But there are different versions of it.  Some with antennas you can use to point signal strength.

If you want to be sure, look at the Netgear Nighthawk X6S EX8000 Tri-band WiFi Extender.  It can do 168 feet in all directions.  My device is rated at 100 feet in all directions. 
Photo of Steve Rose

Steve Rose

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Do you have wifi in your home ? Can you
pickup the signal standing near/outside your workshop?

I have this device sitting near a shop window and it picks up the wifi network from my home network bringing the network into the shop. https://www.officedepot.com/a/products/820957/Netgear-N300-Wi-Fi-Range-Extender/

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1723 Posts
  • 1075 Reply Likes
Considerably cheaper at Amazon. 
Photo of James Gale

James Gale

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
This is Butch with Butch's Advanced Satellites. I am a Viasat dealer in Tahlequah Ok. I can help  (918-348-6629) 
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 124 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
Range extenders / boosters cut thru put by atleast 50%

Aim a bridge at your house wifi
I have installed many of these if you are techie enough to configure them:

EnGenius 800mW ENH202 300Mbps 802.11n bridge 

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
News to me that throughput is cut. I run my Blu-ray through my extender, and even with Viasat's slow internet I can still watch pre-recorded Netflix with no problem.

Of course I can never watch live Netflix during Primetime, even if I had my Blu Ray plugged directly into the Viasat modem ;).
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 124 Posts
  • 41 Reply Likes
https://community.netgear.com/t5/WiFi-Range-Extenders-Nighthawk/Very-slow-download-upload-speed-on-e... 

There are boosters/repeaters/extenders with two radios that are more expensive and are able to 'talk' & 'listen' at same time.

Folks who are shopping for the fairly new wifi mesh systems will see a wide range in pricing.
The majority of the mesh systems that are the lowest cost are single radio units.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3171 Reply Likes
I know mesh systems are nice.  They are also very pricey.