My wireless router (ASUS TM-AC1900) keeps losing its connection the the modem

• Question
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Answered
I have to reboot it multiple times a day. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Below is a sample of the system log from the router:
Feb 7 09:38:20 WAN Connection: Ethernet link down.
Feb 7 09:38:20 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Feb 7 09:38:26 WAN Connection: WAN was restored.
Feb 7 09:38:26 start_nat_rules: apply the nat_rules(/tmp/nat_rules_eth0_eth0)!
Feb 7 09:50:21 dnsmasq-dhcp[575]: Ignoring domain cksd.wednet.edu for DHCP host name JW40522
Feb 7 09:50:22 dnsmasq-dhcp[575]: Ignoring domain cksd.wednet.edu for DHCP host name JW40522
Feb 7 09:51:06 rc_service: httpd 581:notify_rc reboot
Feb 7 09:51:07 kernel: Attempt to kill tasklet from interrupt
Feb 7 09:51:07 iTunes: daemon is stoped
Feb 7 09:51:07 FTP Server: daemon is stoped
Feb 7 09:51:07 Samba Server: smb daemon is stoped
Feb 7 09:51:07 kernel: gro disabled
Feb 7 09:51:07 Timemachine: daemon is stoped
Feb 7 09:51:09 WAN Connection: ISP's DHCP did not function properly.
Feb 7 09:51:09 stop_nat_rules: apply the redirect_rules!
Photo of Tj Mann

Tj Mann

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of redave

redave

• 40 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I have had this trouble also,   many reboots           is this a problem wider reaching in Exede land?
Photo of Tj Mann

Tj Mann

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Yes, I even went as far as buying another wireless router, This one is brand new and appeared to be functioning well for about a month, then on new years, everything went sideways, multiple reboots daily (8-10 times) to get reconnected.  I've started making incremental changes to the WAN settings on the router to troubleshoot the issue. If I run across something, I'll be sure to post it! Thanks for the reply!
Photo of redave

redave

• 40 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
I looked very hard at new routers the other night,    then decided it was not me....
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 498 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
Just as a sort of test, is there any way you can eliminate the router and see if a computer directly connected to the modem loses its connection?  I don't have Exede so I'm not familiar with their setup.  
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2573 Posts
  • 1583 Reply Likes
@GabeU, yes. If the subscriber has the original Surfbeam2, non WiFi modem, connecting the laptop directly to the modem with an Ethernet cable is the best way to eliminate the router in the troubleshooting process.

With the new WiFi modem, you can connect the computer to one of the Ethernet ports, but I m not sure if that will eliminate the "router" portion of those modems.
Photo of Tj Mann

Tj Mann

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
I have the Surfbeam2, non WiFi model. I will attempt to connect my laptop directly to it and see how it goes. Thanks for the reply!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 498 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
Ah.  Thanks for the info, Steve.  That's good to know.  

This isn't a dig at Exede, but I personally don't care for integrated Wifi/router in a modem.  For those less technically inclined it certainly makes things easier, but it can also make it more difficult to troubleshoot when there's a problem.

I see below that there was an issue with modems rebooting, so hopefully that has resolved the OP's issues.  

Photo of Tj Mann

Tj Mann

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
The issues appears to be resolved. The WAN connection has been up since last night and appears stable.. I need to check router logs to verify a continuous connection, which I will do this evening.
Photo of redave

redave

• 40 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
It is very difficult to connect a computer to the modem for me,   but i can say that using [the rather difficult to logon to myesvt.exede.net    i can see that regularly it says      online    for minutes rather than hours ,  let alone days,  like it should say.
I've agreed that weather could be an issue   BUT        we've had a few nice days also.....
Photo of redave

redave

• 40 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
right now,    very typical...
Online14.0 Minutes

rarely it seems hours
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2154 Posts
  • 383 Reply Likes
Hi Tj,  We did have an issue with the modem rebooting.  We have isolated the issue and it should be fixed by the end of the day today.  We appreciate your patience.
Photo of Tj Mann

Tj Mann

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
Thank you Diana,
I must say I hope this fixes the issue but I have not noticed the modem restarting when I experience the issue, at least I have not noticed the indicator lights on the modem going through the normal reboot sequence. The modem appears to be up when I get disconnected.
Toby
Photo of redave

redave

• 40 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Diana,  so this was a wider spread issue?    so i should have better results also??
:-)
Photo of Tj Mann

Tj Mann

• 4 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
After a few days, I think it's safe to report that my WAN connection is stable and the router system logs are no longer reporting any more outages. Thanks Exede for addressing the modem reboot/reset issues.