My Time with viasat is Over :D

• Praise
  • Updated 5 months ago
After 5 years I cancelled my service today, For the most part espcially since viasat2 came out my service has been pretty well! But now I get service of the cell tower and get a average of 10-15 mbps down with a top speed of 25 mbps and average upload is 2mbps so far and Im 6.3 miles away from the tower! Also I have a ping of 68 and it makes a world of difference and makes the internet seem way faster, Pages load and refresh quick and I clicked on a 24 hour youtube video and skipped ahead to the end and it loaded in like 4 seconds! But I have truly unlimited internet now for $100 a month which saves me $100 since I was paying $200 for viasat! So I wish yall the best and if yall are within 7 miles or so of a tower search around cause better internet is out there! Would tell yall who I have but viasat would remove this post! So goodluck to all and I will still check this forum out from time to time
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1610 Posts
  • 937 Reply Likes
Congrats! Been on truly unlimited wireless for 5 or so months. Don't miss satellite internet one bit. Save money, low latency, better speeds, no limited unlimited data.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Thanks I been testing this for a couple weeks and its been working Great so I pulled the plug on viasat! This will work even better in a few months because they are putting up a new tower about 1.5-2 miles from me!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1562 Posts
  • 923 Reply Likes
Wireless infrastructure is still building out, and is continuing to do so. I didnt have wireless a few years ago. Then got a neighboring tower. With a good unlimited data plan offered earlier this year and Viasat unilaterally changing the terms and conditions of how my plan worked, dropping Viasat was a no brainer.

If they had left my plan alone, I probably still would be a customer. It was their choice what they did, I exercised my choice.
(Edited)
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Is that 6.3 miles flat without trees? I am 2.54 miles, flat but in the woods the max I ever get is 12 Mbs down and 2 Mbs up and my average is usually 5 and 1.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
No there is lots of trees between here and the tower, Cell signal is weird I can only get good signal if the modem is in my room by the window anywhere else in the house the signal is weaker!
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1562 Posts
  • 923 Reply Likes
That's not weird. That makes sense. Get an external antenna mounted to the side of the house, point in direction of the tower, and your speeds will be even better.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Ok, your tower is further away with  like terrain and you get faster speeds? What could cause that? Is mine more congested or yours putting out a stronger signal? That tower is between me and I-95, which is 8 or so miles away.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1562 Posts
  • 923 Reply Likes
Could be if the tower is connected to fiber or not. Not all towers are connected the same way.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Will I get 2 out of 5 bars normally and yeah your tower could be more congested than mine and yeah ur further away from ur tower than I am so that could be why, and yes ex sat I got a 8 db antenna coming its one with a magnetic on it thats normally put on vehicles for better signal I dont think cable is long enough to put on the roof so I will test it by my window!
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
I am closer to a tower 2.54 miles. The 8 miles was to I-95 which is what I think causes the congestion. So I am 2.54 miles from a tower that is 5.46 miles from the major east coast highway.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1562 Posts
  • 923 Reply Likes
mferner.  You need a yagi antenna that will plug directly into your hotspot.  Comes with 30 feet of cable.  I mean what you have coming might be fine.  I would say I yagi will get you 2 more bars.  But if you are happy with what you got now, you are good.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 317 Posts
  • 67 Reply Likes
Ex sat user Im kinda happy with what I have now except upload speed I would like higher so I will see how this goes A yagi antenna is my last resort But I will get one if I need too hopefully this what I got coming will boost speeds a little more because in a few months a new tower will be up anyways and speeds should be blazing than!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.