Tracy Mendell

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 3 weeks ago

Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4133 Posts
  • 4221 Reply Likes
Assuming you mean only the tab client area content is black and not your entire display or the entire browser window (i.e. I assume the address bar and buttons are still visible?)...

Try disabling hardware acceleration in the Viasat browser to see if it has any impact:

1. Click on the three dots in the far right corner next to the address bar and select Settings from the menu (alternately just type viasat://settings in the address bar and press enter).
  2. From the Settings, scroll down and click Advanced Settings to expand the advanced settings as needed.
  3. From there scroll down to the advanced System Settings and click on "Use hardware acceleration when available" to turn it off if it's on (the toggle button to the right is blue when on and gray when off).
  4. When turned off (or whenever the current active state is changed) you'll be prompted to relaunch the browser:

Regardless if it corrects the problem or not, report the issue to the Viasat Browser team although they do monitor this forum on a semi-regular basis.  See Help, Report an issue... under the menu that appears when click on the three dots mentioned above. You can also just enter viasat://help in the address bar and you'll find the oprion to report an issue there.

Alternately you can send an email to browser@viasat.com but reporting it directly from the browser when the problem occurs will provide them with added debugging info   

It may be a video driver conflict (but just a guess, sounds like one and could have been triggered by a new video driver update). Although Chrome and the Viasat Browser are both based on the same underlying Chromium open source project, the Viasat Browser is several versions behind the current Chromium base version used by Chrome possibly explaining why it doesn't occur with Chrome.
(Edited)
Photo of Tracy Mendell

Tracy Mendell

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
no. the whole screen is like a black curtain with everything running behind it. i can open the settings menu but it opens behind the curtain, so i can't see if accelerator is on. conundrum

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2898 Posts
  • 1833 Reply Likes
Have you tried to get rid of the Viasat browser and then load a new version?
Photo of Tracy Mendell

Tracy Mendell

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
yeah. says trying to uninstall, but won't finish.
Photo of Tony Smith

Tony Smith

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same exact problem, could NEVER really get rid of application to reinstall, stayed hung on "uninstalling"  or would say "you've got to close all application windows, which I did for sure using process control, and STILL no fix after I downloaded and did an install OVER...  NUTTIN

I am fixed now, thanks to you AND to Old Labs.   Many thanks.
Photo of Tracy Mendell

Tracy Mendell

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
got my settings window to open in front of "the curtain" and disabled the accelerator. IT WORKED! Thanks 

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4133 Posts
  • 4221 Reply Likes
For others who may experience this "black" screen issue and are unable to get to the system settings in the dark and unable to see anything, you might be able to disable hardware acceleration by changing the windows shortcut used to start the Viasat Browser by appending the following flags switch to the target: --disable-gpu (one word, no spaces and those are two hyphens before disabled and one before gpu).

For example:

Starting it with those flags that switch should/may allow getting to the settings in daylight and you can then go back and remove the flag switch from the shortcut target ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Tony Smith

Tony Smith

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
AWESOME.    Without this one, I'd still be frustrated.   !   BooYah

But I have to ask you ...what did this do exactly, what is the meaning of the switch/tag?

One other thing....I attempted a system restore function, going back 3 days to a known good system restore point, and that didn't fix this issue?????   

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4133 Posts
  • 4221 Reply Likes
It partially disables hardware acceleration (at least enough to turn the lights on so you're not stumbling around in the dark) for that instance of the browser when you run it by that shortcut  - basically the same as the setting but the hardware acceleration setting is applied to any instance. The command line switch typically overrides the setting (whatever it may be).

DavidBrowserGuy's response below provides a way of doing it from the command line/prompt (as well as an additional setting that may help also):

https://browser.viasat.com/faq#viasat-browser-appears-as-a-black-screen.-what-do-i-do 

The issue crops up on a fairly regular basis for browsers that rely upon the Chromium open source project (not to be confused with Google's Chrome browser) . That includes the Viasat Browser and others including as Chrome itself. See:

https://browser.viasat.com/faq#why-does-viasat-browser-look-like-google-chrome

All variants share a common open source code base but they're at different versions of the code base).

Probably the reason it's covered by an FAQ and searching on Chrome issues reveals the same.  

My guess is that those experiencing it all have the same graphics adapters - FWIW I haven't hit it yet with NVIDIA but could be video driver version dependent (but some of my other applications have trouble with NVIDIA) .

(Edited)
Photo of Viacrap

Viacrap

• 34 Posts
  • 17 Reply Likes
It’s so bad it breaks stuff.
Photo of Karen Dudnikov

Karen Dudnikov

• 19 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
My properties look different.  I can't get to the 3 dots, I know where they should be but nothing comes up.I tried uninstalling and that hung up so now I don't know if the program is corrupted from me trying to do that.  Tried to reinstall overtop of whatever is still there and that doesn't work.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4133 Posts
  • 4221 Reply Likes
You're looking at the folder properties, not the shortcut properties used to run the application. The shortcut should be on your desktop or start menu and you can modify the shortcut properties by right clicking on the shortcut and selecting properties.   

David's cite of the FAQs might work better for you if unfamiliar with maintaining shortcuts (make sure you include the quotation marks exactly as cited there - the ending quote goes after Viasat Browser.exe not at the end of the command  ).
(Edited)
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

DavidBrowserGuy, Browser Expert

• 102 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Sorry for the delayed response, I've been on vacation. Please see https://browser.viasat.com/faq#viasat....
Photo of Karen Dudnikov

Karen Dudnikov

• 19 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
When I type the cmd I don't open up what you show.  I do a cmd.exe to get to the other screen.  However mine shows user\owner, not the users\ict

First command gives me not a recognized as an internal or external command.  The second one you listed gives me the path not specified.

I'm on Windows 7 if any of that makes a difference.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 53 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Old Dog er, Old Lab - thanks for the shortcut tip

You our hero for today...