My Review

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I want to give a review of Viasat internet service. I am new to Viasat I have had the service for under 30 days. The installation was smooth. I was downloading around 30 Mbps. I started off with Unlimited Gold 50 but changed it to the Unlimited Platinum 100. I changed because of the high data that my family uses (~650 GB per month). Once we hit 152 GB the speed dropped to .2 Mbps. I called Viasat, of course, I understand slowing me down, but slowing me down over 98% I thought that was drastic drop. Viasat said they were having a problem with the Gateway and couldn’t help me at that point. After 5 – 6 days without the internet the connect came back and I was able to surf again at 30Mbps. To improve the service I think Viasat should state clearly what ‘we may prioritize your data behind others’ means. Viasat should state clearly how slow your connect will be also what are the hours of heavy ‘network congestion’.
Photo of Thomas Moosey

Thomas Moosey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Whether called unlimited or not, satellite internet is certainly not intended for a customer to use 650+ GB's/month.

I dont know what you gave up to get satellite internet, but I hope it wasnt reliable, hard wired internet.
Photo of CB

CB

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Worst internet we have ever had. Locked into a 2 year deal of unreliable, horrible internet. We are paying about $100 a month to have 10 days of around 8 mbps then the rest of the month we get 0.2 mbps. That’s hardly even usable. We have had people come check it to see if we can get better signal, but it’s always the same answer. I would strongly recommend to anyone who is thinking about getting this internet to literally look anywhere else. Its wireless. That’s about the only good thing about it.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1433 Posts
  • 847 Reply Likes
It has nothing to do with the signal. You are using up all your priority data. Once that is out, all bets are off. Should they advertise it as "unlimited" data. IMHO, no way. But they do. Then customers like yourself wonder way the service is usable after s view days of use.

I certainly dont miss satellite internet.
(Edited)
Photo of CB

CB

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
However, the priority data isn’t good either. That’s 8 on a good day, when there are no clouds in the sky. Unlimited useless internet is what they should advertise.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1433 Posts
  • 847 Reply Likes
Again.  You either get a signal or not.  The slowdown is most likely due to congestion on your beam and the time of day, not clouds.

People that get satellite internet have to have realistic expectations and understand its expectations.  

BTW.  You are not "locked" in.  $15/month for each month remaining will get you out of it.  Worth it?  That is up for you to decide.  You might save money if you have a better, cheaper internet alternative available to you. 
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3163 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
CB,, what is your speed if you connect directly to the model.router with an Ethernet cable? The built in routers in those Viasat modems have a weaker WiFi signal which can affect speeds. Many people use a third party router to improve the WiFi signal and speeds they get on WiFi.

As far as your speed going in the tank partway through the month, ExSatUser is correct, once you blow through your priority data, speeds will be very slow, and might even be unusable.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.