My Review

• Question
  • Updated 11 hours ago
  • Acknowledged
I want to give a review of Viasat internet service. I am new to Viasat I have had the service for under 30 days. The installation was smooth. I was downloading around 30 Mbps. I started off with Unlimited Gold 50 but changed it to the Unlimited Platinum 100. I changed because of the high data that my family uses (~650 GB per month). Once we hit 152 GB the speed dropped to .2 Mbps. I called Viasat, of course, I understand slowing me down, but slowing me down over 98% I thought that was drastic drop. Viasat said they were having a problem with the Gateway and couldn’t help me at that point. After 5 – 6 days without the internet the connect came back and I was able to surf again at 30Mbps. To improve the service I think Viasat should state clearly what ‘we may prioritize your data behind others’ means. Viasat should state clearly how slow your connect will be also what are the hours of heavy ‘network congestion’.
Photo of Thomas Moosey

Thomas Moosey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Dlee

Dlee

• 20 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
When your internet came back, were you still beyond your priority data limit or had your data reset?
Photo of Thomas Moosey

Thomas Moosey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No, the data didn't reset. At the moment I have used ~190 GB and have 9 days to go.
Photo of Robin Michelle Davidson

Robin Michelle Davidson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I myself don't get the unlimited thing it's not unlimited . When I had a smaller plan before this one after data was ysed I got at least 5 mbs and now when data is gone I get most of the time under a mbs that is why I don't understand why they call it unlimited !
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 253 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Unlimited 256kb internet. And high speed at whatever your paying for 40,60,100 gigs etc. Many cell phone plans work the same way.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3077 Posts
  • 1292 Reply Likes
Technically ALL residential Viasat plans are unlimited, it's just the conditions that cause your speeds to be slowed, how much and, when they are slowed and, video resolution that is different.

None of the plans disconnect you once you use all of your priority data but, how they behave after that is what is different on different plans. Some plans hard throttle you until reset, Unlimited plans do not, they throttle you based on beam utilization at any given time so, even being out of priority data, if your beam isn't busy, you might still see top speeds.
Photo of Carl Thigpen

Carl Thigpen

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Been on the plan a few months., WiFi router stopped working. Want come out to fix unless I pay a $ 95 service fee. I will cancel as soon as no cancellation fee. Can’t recommend,
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1032 Posts
  • 630 Reply Likes
Carl,

You can buy a decent, basic router for half of that cost.  You don't have to utilize the modem's built in WiFi.  Many people choose to use their own routers, regardless.   
Photo of Carl Thigpen

Carl Thigpen

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So I can just go to Best Buy and get a router to plug into the existing and that will work?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3595 Posts
  • 2099 Reply Likes
Yes.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1032 Posts
  • 630 Reply Likes
Just make sure you are at least familiar with the brand reputation before buying.  You don't want to end up with a piece of junk.  

A few of the more well known brands are Netgear, ASUS, D-Link, TP-Link and Linksys.  I'm a Netgear fan, but that's just me.  My first router was a Netgear.  It was $45 six years ago and it still works perfectly.  

One other recommendation is to try to get a dual band router rather than a single band one.  They tend to be a little more expensive than inexpensive single band models, but a dual band router can give better speed, as well as help you to be more prepared for tomorrow's WiFi devices.  You can also still find fairly decent dual band routers for under $50.   Remember, though, your speed, whether connected via Ethernet cable or WiFi, is restricted to the speed of your internet service, so when I was referring to better speed I was referring the speed of the WiFi itself, not the speed of your internet service.   Sometimes a WiFi connection can be slower than an Ethernet cable connection, and this is especially so with the 2.4Ghz band of the WiFi.  The following article might help to explain why dual band is better...

https://www.lifewire.com/dual-band-wireless-networking-explained-818279  
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3598 Posts
  • 2102 Reply Likes
Whether called unlimited or not, satellite internet is certainly not intended for a customer to use 650+ GB's/month.

I dont know what you gave up to get satellite internet, but I hope it wasnt reliable, hard wired internet.
Photo of Thomas Moosey

Thomas Moosey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nope sure wasn't.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
I'd followup with Viasat on this one - you're on a Platinum 100 plan on Viasat-2!

De-prioritization shouldn't be coming into play just yet and even if it is I'd only expect to to be occurring during peak usage periods not all the time.

If low "speeds" occurring all the time something's wrong with their algorithm or they've already oversold your beam. Hopefully it's the former and can be corrected. because these slow "all the time" reports weren't what we were led to expect from Viasat-2 (and my expectations were lower for Viasat-2 than most).  

Viasatlistens may be your best bet if phone support can't handle it correctly.    
(Edited)
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 253 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
That’s what I’d like to know. Is the 256kbps only during prime time after using priority data or always? I’ve never even used half of my 100 gigs so i haven’t experienced this myself. I will say in June prime time was 15 mbps vs 72 mbps during the early morning, and now not even 3 full months later prime time is 5 mbps, and early morning still 72 mbps. I am really surprised that there is congestion this soon. Still 5 mbps is way better then my VS1 500kbps during prime time. My “small beam” is way larger then I first thought. Using zip codes I’ve been able to trace basically the size and shape of the beam. So apparently lots of people are signing up or moving over.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3598 Posts
  • 2102 Reply Likes
I am not convinced they are not slowing people down once too much data is used. If for anything to keep the long term viability of the system in place. I mean if every small beam customer is downloading over 500GB+, it wont take too many customers to drag even that small beam down.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 253 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Agreed. Just wish the slow down was a way more tolerable 1-3 mbps. As many have stated 256k is harsh!!! Does anyone know if HughesNet Gen 5 is keeping their word and maintaining over 1 mbps when your priority data is gone?
Photo of Paul Adams

Paul Adams

• 22 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
My concern is slow upload speeds. Bronze, silver and gold all claim upload at 3 mbps but in practice (when livestreaming to YT or FB)  I only get 240p corresponding to a bitrate of 400 kbps, a tenth of what is promised, and basically unusable.
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 253 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
My upload speeds are pretty strong.
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Nathan, I know a Hughes customer who called me recently and said that after he goes over his data they slow him down to 400kbps. 

On a side note, got an email from a dealer I know in VA and he said that they are closing another beam shortly....he just spent $5,000 on mailers in that beam....he isn't happy. 

Andy
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Nathan, I know a Hughes customer who called me recently and said that after he goes over his data they slow him down to 400kbps. 

On a side note, got an email from a dealer I know in VA and he said that they are closing another beam shortly....he just spent $5,000 on mailers in that beam....he isn't happy. 

Andy
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1087 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
They’ve always slowed people down after priority data on my beam. Always. Regardless of traffic. I’m convinced the system actually does momentary disconnects (did for me during free zone and does now with large downloads). Kicks you offline just long enough to stop the download, then magically reconnects. Had it over a decade. Sat up some long nights watching how it downloaded during the free zone.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser writes:

I am not convinced they are not slowing people down once too much data is used. If for anything to keep the long term viability of the system in place. I mean if every small beam customer is downloading over 500GB+, it wont take too many customers to drag even that small beam down.
Then Viasat has to cease and desist with the "we may prioritize" wordsmithing and change it to "we will throttle" for the "unlimited data" plans. They also need to update the two legal documents over at Legal that apply to the "unlimited data" policy and network management - while the advertising fine print disclaimers may not hold them accountable, the legal documents do. The only throttling that should occur on "unlimited data" plans is that associated with delivering the plans "typical" video quality. Prioritization and throttling are two different things - prioritization is temporary through the end of the month, throttling is permanent.

If there's a threshold at which throttling kicks in they need to specify it, but it shouldn't be anywhere near the plan's stated data usage threshold - otherwise "unlimited data" is an outright lie.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
I'm not convinced there aren't some bugs in their network management algorithm(s) at this point - the original poster is noting this occurs at the 150GB mark. With so many different active and grandfathered plan policies and data usage thresholds now in place, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that Freedom's 150GB limit is erroneously kicking in on his Platinum plan - but hey, it could still be called virtually unlimited like Freedom originally was, right?

But if prioritization is permanent through the end of the month 24/7 - then they've oversold again,  learned absolutely nothing from past experience, and there's no "may" about it - it's "will".

Either way, if throttling or 24/7 prioritization, the advertising claim becomes false if there are no reasonable expectations that it "may" work that way for one brief shining moment.

Significant slow downs like the OP's during prime time I can buy, but 24/7? Nope - at least not on that over-hyped Viasat-2 technology. Those of us on Viasat-1 may be in better shape despite its older technology after all.

Even the moderators here recognize it's not supposed to work that way when they eventually weigh in with "if you're seeing those speeds all the time send a message to viasatistens, we'd like to take a look". Why take a look if those speeds are expected all the time???

It's really not a question of what the bird is capable of. Those of us already on satellite internet know the limits and have learned to adjust. It's how Viasat is overstating its marketing claims that has new signups upset (they are led to believe it's so much more and the only thing certain is that they have a two year agreement). The satellite's limitations can no longer be used as an excuse/justification for increasingly deceptive marketing claims. Viasat jumped the shark with unlimited or they've got some fixing to do if it's a bug. 
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
Too bad I can only "like" a post just one time OldLabs. Anytime I bring up the points you mentioned I get chided for not being "more positive". Easy to be "more positive" when you don't have to actually FACE the public each and every day. 

Andy

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
Well to put a positive spin on it, I asked the Dalai Lama (who doubles as a Viasat social media moderator) about this issue:

"Hey, Lama, hey, how about a little speed, you know, for the effort, you know." And he says, "Oh, uh, there won't be any speed, but when you die, on your deathbed, you will receive total consciousness." So we got that goin' for us, which is nice. Gunga galunga... gunga, gunga-lagunga.

(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
LOL!!! Now for those of you who think that Labs got his meds swapped around

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X48G7Y0VWW4

Andy
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3598 Posts
  • 2102 Reply Likes
I refer back to one of Andy's posts awhile back where some new user on Viasat-2 was using close to a terabyte, and that was creating some consternation as the system isn't designed or intended to handle that much traffic for one user.

Of course we also have to keep in mind, Viasat-2 is not going to reach its maximum design potential, so it is hard to know for sure what could have been from what actually there is.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
I'm not debating whether Viasat can support 1 TB per user. At the time apparently that user could consume 1 TB in keeping with the unlimited policy and why not if the bandwidth was available at that time - that's the gamble folks were taking on higher priced unlimited data plans - it was actually a user who made that claim. There should be no consternation that that was ever going to be possible long term. You seem to think I'm denying reality, I'm not.

Someone  apparently thought the addition of a 300 Gbps capacity would automagically yield unlimited, better plans and lower pricing - didn't quite turn out that way did it?.  

I'm criticizing the continued marketing misrepresentation of "unlimited data" - they need to go back and rewrite their  advertising as well as policies and clarify (tone down) the deceptive marketing claims. That is what the OP is requesting - a bit more transparency. He never really indicated he was using 650 GB but that was his need - it would be natural for someone to assume an "unlimited data" plan would fill that need. As he stated:

To improve the service I think Viasat should state clearly what ‘we may prioritize your data behind others’ means.  
With emphasis on what it really means in plain English.

It's all a lot of woulda, coulda, shouldas with Viasat-2 now - fess up Viasat and quit marketing what you can't provide if that's the case except for one brief shining moment known as Camelot.. 

Don't confuse prioritization with throttling despite the fact they have the same outcome.    
(Edited)
Photo of Dlee

Dlee

• 20 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Andy, we're in Virginia also.  Our large beam was shut down about 2 weeks ago.  No notification whatsoever.  No email, no phone call, no smoke signal, no carrier pigeon...nothing.  Didn't know until attempting to qualify a customer and got the "Currently service is not available" message.  Granted, I'm not a high volume dealer,  but that's a little tidbit of info that any authorized dealer should have to avoid looking like and idiot in front of a potential customer.

I just checked with one of our high use customers in the nearest small beam, they're on the Gold 50 plan and use over 500GB per month(currently 535GB with 1 week before reset) and they have seen no noticeable slowdown in speeds at this point.  So I'm not sure if the reports of slowed speeds are congestion in certain beams or if Viasat's still ironing out kinks. 
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
I got a couple calls that day from some dealers I know who found out the exact same way...no call, no heads-up. I now order modems and trias 2 or 3 at a time so I don't get burned like so many have already. 

Andy
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 253 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Dlee have they told you what their prime time speeds are? Mine dropped sharply from 15 to about 5. I’m on the central Virginia small beam myself but have never used up my priority data.
Photo of Dlee

Dlee

• 20 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
Nathan, I'll check back with them over the next couple of days.  They didn't do actual speed tests but hadn't seen any buffering issues that would indicate the .2Mbps speeds that others have reported when beyond priority data.  If you're on the central Va. beam, we'll be southwest of you in beam 787.
Photo of Terri Sisson

Terri Sisson

• 28 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I'm also in Central VA.  I wish they would shut down my beam.  That might get me out of my contract.  I hate paying almost $90 for internet that is barely usable.  

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
By shut down they mean to new customers - you're stuck like the rest of us ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
We just had an interesting situation. Got a customer who is in a now closed beam who is moving within the same beam.....he can only choose VS1 Liberty Plans. He is currently on an Unlimited Plan. Not happy

Andy

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3919 Posts
  • 4006 Reply Likes
Quit being so negative ;)

Look on the bright side, the unlimited beam will reopen with an open slot once he moves and switches to VS1 or something like that. Folks will be lining up at your door to get that open slot.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3598 Posts
  • 2102 Reply Likes
Old Labs. I agree with you about how the policy is written and may not accurately reflect reality. I too hate they say "unlimited" but then people burn through 65GB of data and wonder why they get 256k at primetime. That is a bad look.
Photo of Michael Harvey

Michael Harvey

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
So I guess I am going to give Viasat a bad review....

1. My install was set up between 8 and 11 a.m. today... Well 11 comes by and still no installer... I had to call them to find out what was going on... They tell me he is running late... I guess they only had 1 installer working several hundred miles of area... Not the installer fault.... Installer finally showed up at 3 after I had to put off all the other stuff I had planned for the day... THE ENTIRE DAY got shot down...

2. When he did show up I told him I did NOT want a pole mount in my yard... I wanted it on my brick chimney... he got his boss on the phone and last question was will it be above or below roof line... I said above and was told they will not do that... I asked him why that was an issue and all he said was that was their policy... That is not an answer... that is a weak minded answer... a company talking point...

I explained to him that this is my house not his... I decide what goes where... told them to have a nice day... I will not give my money to a company that tells me how they are going to do things on my property...
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3598 Posts
  • 2102 Reply Likes
Tis the weekend!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2821 Posts
  • 1782 Reply Likes
I am all set. Just bought another 2 10 pack boxes of popcorn. The weekend entertainment on this forum more than compensate for the monthly cost of my Freedom plan.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3598 Posts
  • 2102 Reply Likes
So a person that has zero experience installing a satellite internet system apparently knows more on where it has to go.

I am sure the installer is relieved he didn't have to do this job. And I am sure Viasat won't miss this potential customer, who from the sounds of things would never be satisfied.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1035 Posts
  • 633 Reply Likes
I explained to him that this is my house not his... I decide what goes where...
And they have rules and regulations concerning a proper installation, and a chimney install is not a proper installation.    

Absolutely unreal.  SMH.  
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 320 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
The fact that the install did not take place was probably the best outcome for all concerned.  The default install is on a roof.  I am not in favor of installing anything on my roof other than shingles.

Installing it on the chimney, (the way many tv antennas were in the day) and above the roof line would require different hardware and above the roof line probably would subject the dish to additional winds etc. This dish would probably not be as secure and the probability of the alignment changes would most likely significantly increase resulting in service interruptions, your dissatisfaction and more service calls.

When you end your contract going on the roof  remove the equipment could be hazardous to you.  Don't think oh i can easily go up there on a ladder.  Think how easy it may be when your in your 70's or 80's, or when your gone, your wife will have to hire somebody, probably the safest course.

I have, recommend and prefer a pole install about 75 feet from my house, next to my off air antenna and Directv sat, that might work for you, if you have a clear line of sight on the correct azimuth probably a solution worth consideration.

No harm to the roof, easy to maintain and disassemble at contracts end.

Hope you find a solution for your service.

(Edited)
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 320 Posts
  • 131 Reply Likes
Welcome Tom (OP), i don't know what your paying for the unlimited plat plan, but if you used or plan on using 650G i'd say you got or will get your monies worth regardless of the mumbo jumbo advertising verbage.

I say after your guaranteed G's your fair game and as long as you can check your email your golden, er platinum.

(Visat you can use my verbage if you'd like ^^^)

But i still get pissed if someone brushes their teeth and lets the water run, waste not want not.

I tell my family i am paying for 150G of priority data, so put the pedal to the metal, but when its gone, 1 week, 2 weeks..... whatever, plan on going to the library or Micky D's.
We have never used more than 93G in a month.

Bandwidth is not infinite, its a limited resource with many users.

Once again welcome i hope you get continued good service.

(Edited)