My Review

• Question
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

I want to give a review of Viasat internet service. I am new to Viasat I have had the service for under 30 days. The installation was smooth. I was downloading around 30 Mbps. I started off with Unlimited Gold 50 but changed it to the Unlimited Platinum 100. I changed because of the high data that my family uses (~650 GB per month). Once we hit 152 GB the speed dropped to .2 Mbps. I called Viasat, of course, I understand slowing me down, but slowing me down over 98% I thought that was drastic drop. Viasat said they were having a problem with the Gateway and couldn’t help me at that point. After 5 – 6 days without the internet the connect came back and I was able to surf again at 30Mbps. To improve the service I think Viasat should state clearly what ‘we may prioritize your data behind others’ means. Viasat should state clearly how slow your connect will be also what are the hours of heavy ‘network congestion’.
Photo of Thomas Moosey

Thomas Moosey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of Dlee

Dlee

• 20 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
When your internet came back, were you still beyond your priority data limit or had your data reset?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
A long discussion on why cant a wood pole be used to mount a dish should have been the first clue.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Great first post Farshad. Very productive.
Photo of gina

gina

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I have it and it sucks , every 2 minutes my service goes out, I called them and they told me traffic was in the area. And it will go back up after traffic leaves. But it’s all day every day. I have a unlimited package this is crazy, I don’t even want them anymore. I pay over 100 dollars a month for nothing
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2090 Posts
  • 1263 Reply Likes
gina,

What do you mean by "my service goes out"?  Do you mean your speed is bottoming out, your device's WiFi connection to the modem is dropping, or the service itself is actually losing its connection to the satellite?  
Photo of Jesse Messerli

Jesse Messerli

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Yep. I hate Viasat. Worst service ever. I pay for 100 mbps and get 20 kbps. Ef Viasat
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Whether called unlimited or not, satellite internet is certainly not intended for a customer to use 650+ GB's/month.

I dont know what you gave up to get satellite internet, but I hope it wasnt reliable, hard wired internet.
Photo of CB

CB

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Worst internet we have ever had. Locked into a 2 year deal of unreliable, horrible internet. We are paying about $100 a month to have 10 days of around 8 mbps then the rest of the month we get 0.2 mbps. That’s hardly even usable. We have had people come check it to see if we can get better signal, but it’s always the same answer. I would strongly recommend to anyone who is thinking about getting this internet to literally look anywhere else. Its wireless. That’s about the only good thing about it.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1354 Posts
  • 812 Reply Likes
It has nothing to do with the signal. You are using up all your priority data. Once that is out, all bets are off. Should they advertise it as "unlimited" data. IMHO, no way. But they do. Then customers like yourself wonder way the service is usable after s view days of use.

I certainly dont miss satellite internet.
(Edited)
Photo of CB

CB

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
However, the priority data isn’t good either. That’s 8 on a good day, when there are no clouds in the sky. Unlimited useless internet is what they should advertise.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1354 Posts
  • 812 Reply Likes
Again.  You either get a signal or not.  The slowdown is most likely due to congestion on your beam and the time of day, not clouds.

People that get satellite internet have to have realistic expectations and understand its expectations.  

BTW.  You are not "locked" in.  $15/month for each month remaining will get you out of it.  Worth it?  That is up for you to decide.  You might save money if you have a better, cheaper internet alternative available to you. 
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3161 Posts
  • 2033 Reply Likes
CB,, what is your speed if you connect directly to the model.router with an Ethernet cable? The built in routers in those Viasat modems have a weaker WiFi signal which can affect speeds. Many people use a third party router to improve the WiFi signal and speeds they get on WiFi.

As far as your speed going in the tank partway through the month, ExSatUser is correct, once you blow through your priority data, speeds will be very slow, and might even be unusable.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 373 Posts
  • 159 Reply Likes
Welcome Tom (OP), i don't know what your paying for the unlimited plat plan, but if you used or plan on using 650G i'd say you got or will get your monies worth regardless of the mumbo jumbo advertising verbage.

I say after your guaranteed G's your fair game and as long as you can check your email your golden, er platinum.

(Visat you can use my verbage if you'd like ^^^)

But i still get pissed if someone brushes their teeth and lets the water run, waste not want not.

I tell my family i am paying for 150G of priority data, so put the pedal to the metal, but when its gone, 1 week, 2 weeks..... whatever, plan on going to the library or Micky D's.
We have never used more than 93G in a month.

Bandwidth is not infinite, its a limited resource with many users.

Once again welcome i hope you get continued good service.

(Edited)
Photo of Robert Ponziani

Robert Ponziani

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
 I would like to try viasat( but) why not give a 15 or 30 day trial period ? it seems to me if their internet service is  as good as they say, that should not be a problem
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Cost, you're getting roughly 500 - 700 USD worth of equipment installed at your location, plus the installer's time and travel costs. It simply isn't good business sense to do that for free only to have to undo it in a month or less.

The 15/mo ETF is very reasonable given what it costs Viasat to even deliver internet to us. I've been inside one of the ground stations (Gateways) and, believe me, there is stuff in there that the average joe would swear was science fiction and, it's working to give us internet.

I wouldn't even ask them to put all that to work for free for even a week for me. That stuff is expensive to build, maintain and, operate. Normally, you hear "It's not rocket science" but in this case it really IS rocket science and then some.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 287 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
I like how these champions make up all kinds of baloney. The installer gets a flat fee of $80 on a typical install, plus materials which don't amount to much. That would be at most a pole, some hardware, cable and a bag of cement. What does that cost another $50 at most? They don't pay the installer travel time or mileage. If Viasat were to give a trial period they would be out $150 at most on a failure if the equipment is returned, not the made up $700-$900 these champions come up with. Wonder where the champions get their figures, from Viasat? Like they would not exaggerate.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1865 Posts
  • 1157 Reply Likes
Will,

You do realize that the installer gets paid is less than what ViaSat pays the sub-contracting company for the work, right?  They'd be out more than $150, as they also don't install "used" equipment at startup, and, again, the cost of the install to them is more than $80.  That equipment that was new is no longer, so now they're stuck with used equipment that they can't install at startup unless it's refurbished, and even then, that's a guess, as I don't know if they're allowed to used refurbished equipment at startup, either.  If not, the end loss would be even higher.  

It may not cost them a ton in the end, but it's going to be more than $150.  

I'm not defending their track record as of late, but free trials are simply not feasible.  
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 287 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Gabe, maybe the subs I interacted with for an install and 3 tech visits lied. They all acted like they were 3rd party contractors paid by Viasat. All of them claimed to get a flat $80 for a visit.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1865 Posts
  • 1157 Reply Likes
Regardless, it's still not economically feasible.  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.