My Review

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Acknowledged
I want to give a review of Viasat internet service. I am new to Viasat I have had the service for under 30 days. The installation was smooth. I was downloading around 30 Mbps. I started off with Unlimited Gold 50 but changed it to the Unlimited Platinum 100. I changed because of the high data that my family uses (~650 GB per month). Once we hit 152 GB the speed dropped to .2 Mbps. I called Viasat, of course, I understand slowing me down, but slowing me down over 98% I thought that was drastic drop. Viasat said they were having a problem with the Gateway and couldn’t help me at that point. After 5 – 6 days without the internet the connect came back and I was able to surf again at 30Mbps. To improve the service I think Viasat should state clearly what ‘we may prioritize your data behind others’ means. Viasat should state clearly how slow your connect will be also what are the hours of heavy ‘network congestion’.
Photo of Thomas Moosey

Thomas Moosey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Dlee

Dlee

• 20 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
When your internet came back, were you still beyond your priority data limit or had your data reset?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1603 Posts
  • 951 Reply Likes
It's the weekend.  SMH.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5062 Posts
  • 3124 Reply Likes
A long discussion on why cant a wood pole be used to mount a dish should have been the first clue.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 629 Posts
  • 386 Reply Likes
Great first post Farshad. Very productive.
Photo of gina

gina

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have it and it sucks , every 2 minutes my service goes out, I called them and they told me traffic was in the area. And it will go back up after traffic leaves. But it’s all day every day. I have a unlimited package this is crazy, I don’t even want them anymore. I pay over 100 dollars a month for nothing
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1603 Posts
  • 951 Reply Likes
gina,

What do you mean by "my service goes out"?  Do you mean your speed is bottoming out, your device's WiFi connection to the modem is dropping, or the service itself is actually losing its connection to the satellite?  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5096 Posts
  • 3145 Reply Likes
Whether called unlimited or not, satellite internet is certainly not intended for a customer to use 650+ GB's/month.

I dont know what you gave up to get satellite internet, but I hope it wasnt reliable, hard wired internet.
Photo of Tresa Heath

Tresa Heath

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I asked them to put it on a pole next to my Dish Network satellite dish, about 20 feet from my house. I even offered to buy the pole and cement it in. That is the only spot on my property that has a clear line of site to the satellite. The installer insisted on placing the pole on the opposite side of the house. He placed it just far enough away from the house so you can't mow between it and the house. He did that because that was the only way to get even a small signal.He could not put the pole very far in the ground or the dish would not be able to reach the satellite from over the roof. I don't think he even cemented it in. I realized that anytime it rains you loose satellite service. I however was not prepared for loosing service every time the wind blows. I took video of me pushing the pole with my little finger, with little to no effort. I have been trying to find a way to give them an official review, with no success.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1606 Posts
  • 952 Reply Likes
Tresa, 

You should to write to ViaSat support about your concerns.  You can email them at viasatlistens@viasat.com .  
Photo of Tresa Heath

Tresa Heath

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I did email them and spoke with them several times and the long and short of it is, I am under contract and they don't care if my internet works or not as long as they get their money. They sent someone out once, and I waited all day. At the end of the day I called and asked for an ETA and was told they had come and gone hours before. I had things that I needed to do that did not get done because they did not have the human decency to let me know they had been there. Then was told they did not even know about a complaint. They were there for some kind of routine maintenance or something. When I asked why they did not inform me that they had been and gone, they just did not seem to care at all about that. So now when I have a concern about my internet service or lack there of, I go tell my dog. He at least acts like he has some kind of interest in what I am saying. I however know this one thing that gives me comfort. Contracts end.   ; )
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5096 Posts
  • 3145 Reply Likes
Save yourself more aggravation. Just pay $15/month for what remains and move on..
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 904 Posts
  • 472 Reply Likes
Tresa, 

I'm not seeing any emails from the address attached to your login here.  Can you provide the case number you received?
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 346 Posts
  • 149 Reply Likes
Welcome Tom (OP), i don't know what your paying for the unlimited plat plan, but if you used or plan on using 650G i'd say you got or will get your monies worth regardless of the mumbo jumbo advertising verbage.

I say after your guaranteed G's your fair game and as long as you can check your email your golden, er platinum.

(Visat you can use my verbage if you'd like ^^^)

But i still get pissed if someone brushes their teeth and lets the water run, waste not want not.

I tell my family i am paying for 150G of priority data, so put the pedal to the metal, but when its gone, 1 week, 2 weeks..... whatever, plan on going to the library or Micky D's.
We have never used more than 93G in a month.

Bandwidth is not infinite, its a limited resource with many users.

Once again welcome i hope you get continued good service.

(Edited)
Photo of Robert Ponziani

Robert Ponziani

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
 I would like to try viasat( but) why not give a 15 or 30 day trial period ? it seems to me if their internet service is  as good as they say, that should not be a problem
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1603 Posts
  • 951 Reply Likes
The primary reason is cost.  It costs a good deal of money to contract an installer to come out and have him/her perform the install.  If someone decided they didn't want it after their trial, ViaSat would be out hundreds of dollars, which they would normally end up making up during the course of the contract.  
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Cost, you're getting roughly 500 - 700 USD worth of equipment installed at your location, plus the installer's time and travel costs. It simply isn't good business sense to do that for free only to have to undo it in a month or less.

The 15/mo ETF is very reasonable given what it costs Viasat to even deliver internet to us. I've been inside one of the ground stations (Gateways) and, believe me, there is stuff in there that the average joe would swear was science fiction and, it's working to give us internet.

I wouldn't even ask them to put all that to work for free for even a week for me. That stuff is expensive to build, maintain and, operate. Normally, you hear "It's not rocket science" but in this case it really IS rocket science and then some.