My Review

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I want to give a review of Viasat internet service. I am new to Viasat I have had the service for under 30 days. The installation was smooth. I was downloading around 30 Mbps. I started off with Unlimited Gold 50 but changed it to the Unlimited Platinum 100. I changed because of the high data that my family uses (~650 GB per month). Once we hit 152 GB the speed dropped to .2 Mbps. I called Viasat, of course, I understand slowing me down, but slowing me down over 98% I thought that was drastic drop. Viasat said they were having a problem with the Gateway and couldn’t help me at that point. After 5 – 6 days without the internet the connect came back and I was able to surf again at 30Mbps. To improve the service I think Viasat should state clearly what ‘we may prioritize your data behind others’ means. Viasat should state clearly how slow your connect will be also what are the hours of heavy ‘network congestion’.
Photo of Thomas Moosey

Thomas Moosey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Dlee

Dlee

• 20 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
When your internet came back, were you still beyond your priority data limit or had your data reset?
Photo of Thomas Moosey

Thomas Moosey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No, the data didn't reset. At the moment I have used ~190 GB and have 9 days to go.
Photo of Robin Michelle Davidson

Robin Michelle Davidson

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I myself don't get the unlimited thing it's not unlimited . When I had a smaller plan before this one after data was ysed I got at least 5 mbs and now when data is gone I get most of the time under a mbs that is why I don't understand why they call it unlimited !
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 253 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Unlimited 256kb internet. And high speed at whatever your paying for 40,60,100 gigs etc. Many cell phone plans work the same way.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3063 Posts
  • 1284 Reply Likes
Technically ALL residential Viasat plans are unlimited, it's just the conditions that cause your speeds to be slowed, how much and, when they are slowed and, video resolution that is different.

None of the plans disconnect you once you use all of your priority data but, how they behave after that is what is different on different plans. Some plans hard throttle you until reset, Unlimited plans do not, they throttle you based on beam utilization at any given time so, even being out of priority data, if your beam isn't busy, you might still see top speeds.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3483 Posts
  • 2018 Reply Likes
Whether called unlimited or not, satellite internet is certainly not intended for a customer to use 650+ GB's/month.

I dont know what you gave up to get satellite internet, but I hope it wasnt reliable, hard wired internet.
Photo of Terri Sisson

Terri Sisson

• 28 Posts
  • 4 Reply Likes
I'm also in Central VA.  I wish they would shut down my beam.  That might get me out of my contract.  I hate paying almost $90 for internet that is barely usable.  
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3893 Posts
  • 3971 Reply Likes
By shut down they mean to new customers - you're stuck like the rest of us ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
We just had an interesting situation. Got a customer who is in a now closed beam who is moving within the same beam.....he can only choose VS1 Liberty Plans. He is currently on an Unlimited Plan. Not happy

Andy
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3893 Posts
  • 3971 Reply Likes
Quit being so negative ;)

Look on the bright side, the unlimited beam will reopen with an open slot once he moves and switches to VS1 or something like that. Folks will be lining up at your door to get that open slot.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3483 Posts
  • 2018 Reply Likes
Old Labs. I agree with you about how the policy is written and may not accurately reflect reality. I too hate they say "unlimited" but then people burn through 65GB of data and wonder why they get 256k at primetime. That is a bad look.
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 310 Posts
  • 123 Reply Likes
Welcome Tom (OP), i don't know what your paying for the unlimited plat plan, but if you used or plan on using 650G i'd say you got or will get your monies worth regardless of the mumbo jumbo advertising verbage.

I say after your guaranteed G's your fair game and as long as you can check your email your golden, er platinum.

(Visat you can use my verbage if you'd like ^^^)

But i still get pissed if someone brushes their teeth and lets the water run, waste not want not.

I tell my family i am paying for 150G of priority data, so put the pedal to the metal, but when its gone, 1 week, 2 weeks..... whatever, plan on going to the library or Micky D's.
We have never used more than 93G in a month.

Bandwidth is not infinite, its a limited resource with many users.

Once again welcome i hope you get continued good service.

(Edited)