My Review

• Question
  • Updated 1 week ago
  • Acknowledged
I want to give a review of Viasat internet service. I am new to Viasat I have had the service for under 30 days. The installation was smooth. I was downloading around 30 Mbps. I started off with Unlimited Gold 50 but changed it to the Unlimited Platinum 100. I changed because of the high data that my family uses (~650 GB per month). Once we hit 152 GB the speed dropped to .2 Mbps. I called Viasat, of course, I understand slowing me down, but slowing me down over 98% I thought that was drastic drop. Viasat said they were having a problem with the Gateway and couldn’t help me at that point. After 5 – 6 days without the internet the connect came back and I was able to surf again at 30Mbps. To improve the service I think Viasat should state clearly what ‘we may prioritize your data behind others’ means. Viasat should state clearly how slow your connect will be also what are the hours of heavy ‘network congestion’.
Photo of Thomas Moosey

Thomas Moosey

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Dlee

Dlee

• 20 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
When your internet came back, were you still beyond your priority data limit or had your data reset?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1153 Posts
  • 716 Reply Likes
Just make sure you are at least familiar with the brand reputation before buying.  You don't want to end up with a piece of junk.  

A few of the more well known brands are Netgear, ASUS, D-Link, TP-Link and Linksys.  I'm a Netgear fan, but that's just me.  My first router was a Netgear.  It was $45 six years ago and it still works perfectly.  

One other recommendation is to try to get a dual band router rather than a single band one.  They tend to be a little more expensive than inexpensive single band models, but a dual band router can give better speed, as well as help you to be more prepared for tomorrow's WiFi devices.  You can also still find fairly decent dual band routers for under $50.   Remember, though, your speed, whether connected via Ethernet cable or WiFi, is restricted to the speed of your internet service, so when I was referring to better speed I was referring the speed of the WiFi itself, not the speed of your internet service.   Sometimes a WiFi connection can be slower than an Ethernet cable connection, and this is especially so with the 2.4Ghz band of the WiFi.  The following article might help to explain why dual band is better...

https://www.lifewire.com/dual-band-wireless-networking-explained-818279  
(Edited)
Photo of Farshad Nikzat

Farshad Nikzat

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
SAD BAD IS A COMPLIMENT ITS BEEN 3 MONTHS I DIDNT GET MY $100 DE POSIT BACK SORRY ASS COMPANY FUCK VIASAT DONT DO IT
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1153 Posts
  • 716 Reply Likes
It's the weekend.  SMH.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3862 Posts
  • 2285 Reply Likes
A long discussion on why cant a wood pole be used to mount a dish should have been the first clue.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 405 Posts
  • 223 Reply Likes
Great first post Farshad. Very productive.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3970 Posts
  • 2388 Reply Likes
Whether called unlimited or not, satellite internet is certainly not intended for a customer to use 650+ GB's/month.

I dont know what you gave up to get satellite internet, but I hope it wasnt reliable, hard wired internet.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3970 Posts
  • 2388 Reply Likes
Tis the weekend!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 2898 Posts
  • 1833 Reply Likes
I am all set. Just bought another 2 10 pack boxes of popcorn. The weekend entertainment on this forum more than compensate for the monthly cost of my Freedom plan.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3970 Posts
  • 2388 Reply Likes
So a person that has zero experience installing a satellite internet system apparently knows more on where it has to go.

I am sure the installer is relieved he didn't have to do this job. And I am sure Viasat won't miss this potential customer, who from the sounds of things would never be satisfied.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1196 Posts
  • 749 Reply Likes
I explained to him that this is my house not his... I decide what goes where...
And they have rules and regulations concerning a proper installation, and a chimney install is not a proper installation.    

Absolutely unreal.  SMH.  
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 330 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
The fact that the install did not take place was probably the best outcome for all concerned.  The default install is on a roof.  I am not in favor of installing anything on my roof other than shingles.

Installing it on the chimney, (the way many tv antennas were in the day) and above the roof line would require different hardware and above the roof line probably would subject the dish to additional winds etc. This dish would probably not be as secure and the probability of the alignment changes would most likely significantly increase resulting in service interruptions, your dissatisfaction and more service calls.

When you end your contract going on the roof  remove the equipment could be hazardous to you.  Don't think oh i can easily go up there on a ladder.  Think how easy it may be when your in your 70's or 80's, or when your gone, your wife will have to hire somebody, probably the safest course.

I have, recommend and prefer a pole install about 75 feet from my house, next to my off air antenna and Directv sat, that might work for you, if you have a clear line of sight on the correct azimuth probably a solution worth consideration.

No harm to the roof, easy to maintain and disassemble at contracts end.

Hope you find a solution for your service.

(Edited)
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 330 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Welcome Tom (OP), i don't know what your paying for the unlimited plat plan, but if you used or plan on using 650G i'd say you got or will get your monies worth regardless of the mumbo jumbo advertising verbage.

I say after your guaranteed G's your fair game and as long as you can check your email your golden, er platinum.

(Visat you can use my verbage if you'd like ^^^)

But i still get pissed if someone brushes their teeth and lets the water run, waste not want not.

I tell my family i am paying for 150G of priority data, so put the pedal to the metal, but when its gone, 1 week, 2 weeks..... whatever, plan on going to the library or Micky D's.
We have never used more than 93G in a month.

Bandwidth is not infinite, its a limited resource with many users.

Once again welcome i hope you get continued good service.

(Edited)
Photo of Robert Ponziani

Robert Ponziani

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
 I would like to try viasat( but) why not give a 15 or 30 day trial period ? it seems to me if their internet service is  as good as they say, that should not be a problem
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1141 Posts
  • 705 Reply Likes
The primary reason is cost.  It costs a good deal of money to contract an installer to come out and have him/her perform the install.  If someone decided they didn't want it after their trial, ViaSat would be out hundreds of dollars, which they would normally end up making up during the course of the contract.  
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3172 Posts
  • 1371 Reply Likes
Cost, you're getting roughly 500 - 700 USD worth of equipment installed at your location, plus the installer's time and travel costs. It simply isn't good business sense to do that for free only to have to undo it in a month or less.

The 15/mo ETF is very reasonable given what it costs Viasat to even deliver internet to us. I've been inside one of the ground stations (Gateways) and, believe me, there is stuff in there that the average joe would swear was science fiction and, it's working to give us internet.

I wouldn't even ask them to put all that to work for free for even a week for me. That stuff is expensive to build, maintain and, operate. Normally, you hear "It's not rocket science" but in this case it really IS rocket science and then some.