Question about data usage with WildBlue

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • (Edited)
I have WILDBLUE Service. My data goes too high when my DVR is plugged into my router. So I have to disconnect it, is that normal? I also must unplug my wild blue power cord or it goes over the limit. I tried to use the internet for my online school work and have tried to use it between the hours of midnight and 5am it the usage still goes up..Am I doing something wrong that is causing this issue?
Photo of John Adams

John Adams

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
  • Not happy

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2737 Posts
  • 1717 Reply Likes
First of all, all usage on Wildblue is counted. There is no Free Zone, that is only on certain Exede plans.

Your DVR should not be connected to your home network, since it will use a whole lot of your data allotment recording things it thinks you might want to view, and if you use the on demand viewing it uses your internet data.
Photo of John Adams

John Adams

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thank you for your response.. Kinda stupid of them that the same does not apply about the free zones.. I may have to look into changing providers then.. I am in school so I have to be online to do my work.. I have had Dish Network for a lot of years I would hate to have to change,but might not have a choice.. Thanks again
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 293 Posts
  • 115 Reply Likes
Hi john,

You should change if you are not going to get a early disconnect charge. maybe just upgrading to exede would prevent a charge.

If you have a data plan with a cell phone company and at least 6G of data you can use the phone as a hotspot and connect to the internet via the phone.  disconnect the sat Ethernet cable, you are prob using and just use the phone, and alternate between both of them.

Forget netflix, DVR etc. it uses way too much data.  That is for cable internet folks not us.

No free zone for new exede users but the liberty plans should work for you because unlimited data, albeit, slow after pri data is used.