My beam different than geo-loc stated on the "speedtest.net". Approx 200 miles from the actual, why, curious

• Question
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Answered
The beam I seem to be on, does not conincide with the geo-loc stated on the "speedtest.net". Pretty much the geo-loc is approx 200 miles from the actual location. Curious, why?
Photo of Sandie

Sandie

• 5 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3704 Posts
  • 3722 Reply Likes
Speedtest (as do many other sites) approximates your geolocation based on the IP address assigned to you by Exede/ViaSat (i.e. your router if using one otherwise your computer) . This can be notoriously inaccurate for satellite internet users since satellite gateways and servers are usually located very very distant from your actual location. See the beam,/gateway map at:

http://www.northlc.com/_images/beam_priority_map.png

For example, right now Home Depot thinks I'm in Oceanside, CA despite the fact I'm in Virginia - primarily because my gateway is in Lovelock NV and my core node server is in Salt Lake City. The good news is what I'm looking for is available in Oceanside, the bad news is it's not available locally. Accuracy really depends upon which geolocation API and services the host web site uses. For example, Lowes does a better job - at least putting me in the right state.

P.S. Some speed test sites allow specifying which servers to use for the test - in which case selecting one closer to your gateway or core node may yield marginally better results, just as selecting my store does on Home Depot.      
(Edited)
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Yeah, it can be very discouraging when all "the women that want to meet your" are located so far away.
Would you really want Exede to be telling everyone the exact physical location of your house?  I know that Windows 10 and Google do want to do that, but I have just one word for them: Denied.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3687 Posts
  • 3702 Reply Likes
I dunno... the last one was wearing khakis, said her name was Jake and sounded hideous.  
Photo of Ivie Walker

Ivie Walker

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
If you are online at a singles website you are required to state your geographic location it is not automatically populated 
 by your satellite internet carrier.