My account showing a 300% spike in file sharing; file sharing is off and has never been turned on.

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further response.

I have a 15 gig agreement, and Exede says I downloaded 44 gigs, the bulk in File Sharing. I contacted Apple to find out I could check that (since the Exede tech said she didn't know); under Apple Support guidance, I found that File Sharing was off by default... and I've never turned it on.

I don't download movies, don't dare. I am now throttled and have been regularly for the past few months. I depend upon the internet for my livelihood and find this extremely frustrating. What can I do? What recourse do I have?
Photo of Randy Harris

Randy Harris

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • frustrated.

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Find out what program or who is doing the downloading or, stealing your wifi (if you have a wireless router)

To test it, leave modem online but do nothing for an hour, check usage and take a screen shot. unplug modem while you sleep. Check usage when you get up. If it has gone up, then it's not on your end. If it didn't, then triple check all devices, programs and, security for a possible problem.
Photo of Randy Harris

Randy Harris

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What is the best way to test usage, Bev?
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
What Apple calls file sharing, and what you are showing as file sharing are two very different things.  The file sharing that Apple is referring to, the one that can be controlled via AppleShare, is sharing between computers on your own internal network.  The file sharing that is (apparently) using your data is peer to peer file sharing, the typically illegal "sharing"  of movies, music, games, etc between yourself (or someone on your network) and other parties.  The most typical type of application to do this type of file sharing is called bittorrent, though there are dozens of different bittorrent programs.  Very likely someone (you got a kid?) is downloading stuff they have no legal right to be doing so.  Not only is this using your data, but, can get your account suspended/disconnected, and in very rare circumstances, get you sued.
Photo of Randy Harris

Randy Harris

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My kid is 36 and lives in another city. I don't do games or download anything illegally. The only computer-to-computer sharing, which I do only very occasionally, is done via AirDrop, which is BlueTooth. That shouldn't count, right?
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
What about iCloud?  If you are backing up your music, photos, etc. in the background, I'm guessing that Exede would call that file sharing.  And you could get to 44 GB fairly easily if you have much of a library.
Photo of Randy Harris

Randy Harris

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm not. I don't do much music at all, and haven't even done much photography over the past month. I have turned off Photo Share just to be on the safe side. 
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Randy,

You may want to look for programs on your computer such as:

BitTorrent
Megaupload
Mediafire
Filestube
Rapidshare
The Pirate Bay
Fileserve
Hotfile
Torrentz.eu
Depositfiles

These are some of the popular File-Sharing sites.  If you want to discuss more options, please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information. 
Photo of Randy Harris

Randy Harris

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
None of these apps are on my iMac or my wife's PowerBook.
I have a password-protected router, a brand new AirPort Express.
I do not download movies. I've downloaded only one audio album in the past two months.
I'm still being throttled.
(Edited)
Photo of jello1850

jello1850

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Well I know I'm going to start using little snitch.  And turning it off when I don't want it communicating with anything.  One hog that I am aware of is dropbox.  talk about an internet killer when you have limited bandwidth.  OMG.  
Photo of Randy Harris

Randy Harris

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I don't know little snitch. Mac app? I did upload a bunch of files to Dropbox several months ago, very minimal since. Do you know if someone downloading to another network from a shared file would count against me?
(Edited)
Photo of jello1850

jello1850

• 17 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
if you upload, you basically tick off what you uploaded.  if you auto upload photos, watch it jump.  the biggest one for dropbox is the folder that is installed on your hard drive and syncs.  i thought it would only sync data, that wasn't already in there.  you move a folder off, and you get ticked I think for the missing file.  I don't know how.  yes little snitch is a mac app.  you can turn off your connections while you are working.  

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.