my account

• Question
  • Updated 3 months ago
I was wondering when my lease was up on my account leased equipment, and if some one can give me an answer or a phone number so I can reach somebody about this.
Photo of Jeanie Mock

Jeanie Mock

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3300 Posts
  • 3280 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, the equipment lease remains active for as long as you subscribe to Exede.

However, it appears that new customers can opt for either a 24 month prepaid lease or a lifetime prepaid lease. Whether this is available to existing customers is uncertain.

However, a moderator (ViaSat employee) can confirm/verify the above information
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2886 Posts
  • 963 Reply Likes
Hi Jeanie,

Old Labs is correct. The equipment will always be leased as it is built and encoded to work with Exede only, so there's no resale value or secondary market and as a result it's a leased device as long as you are subscribed to us.

Some DSL and Cable internet providers do allow purchase of modems to avoid a monthly lease fee but unlike cable and DSL, satellite internet isn't as widespread as far as companies go and there hasn't been a 3rd party company market a compatible modem/router combo. The ones sold in the electronics departments at store are made for DSL/Cable and won't work with our service.

We do have options to pre-pay in advance with either a lifetime lease fee or a 24 month pre-paid fee (only pays for 24 months then goes to a month to month lease fee). Depending when you started your service we might be able to do some back office billing magic and allow you to pre-pay. 
(Edited)
Photo of Mary Haynes

Mary Haynes

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
My billing account
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 2884 Posts
  • 962 Reply Likes
missed this. If you have questions about billing please email us at viasatlistens@viasat.com or call 855-463-9333