Multiple Problems

• Problem
  • Updated 1 year ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
I am a customer of nearly 10 years. the only reason I have stayed with this company is because I have no choice. I have spent thousands of dollars for the service. I have spent hundreds of dollars doing what they say I need to do to get better service (i.e. removing trees, building cement and steel supports on the dish pole so it wont shake, bought numerous routers, ran new cable twice, and paid for numerous technician trips) My most recent mistake was moving up to their highest package - now I am paying more money for less service. every month by the 15th they say I have used all of my FAP. when I monitor it on my end - my numbers and their numbers arn't even close. Before we moved to the higher package this almost never happened. I am paying for 12mb download speed but I rarely hit more then 3 or 4. Occasionally if I am home between 11am and 2pm I can hit 6 or 7.  Exede customer service people have always been polite but they offer no solutions to the problems. My current solution is to give up my home and move to a location that has providers that actually give their customers what they pay for.
Photo of Al Bashlor

Al Bashlor

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 1 year ago

Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes

We, all the current Exede customers, are making an investment in the new ViaSat-2 satellite.  We have stayed with Exede through thick and thin.  We've watched huge data contracts get brokered that use our source satellite, ViaSat-1, when it can ill-afford the additional bandwidth demands the contracts require.  We watched our speed go to near-zero and yet we stayed.  All this on a promise that Exede will provide what we pay for as soon as ViaSat-2 goes live next year.  New plans and pricing are being developed.  We also hope ViaSat/Exede remembers who stayed in the face of near failure on ViaSat-1 when HughesNet has a new satellite with bandwidth to spare right now. We hope Exede will have a pricing plan that makes all this worthwhile for us that remained loyal customers when a more capable alternative was presented.

Al, if you stay with Exede, you may be rewarded, but like our speed, nothing is guaranteed.  It's a personal choice we make and you must make also, to stay, or go.

I myself have been in the high technology business all my life.  I want to see ViaSat make it.  It's a somewhat new company with pie-in-the-sky aspirations for services that benefit mankind. I don't like Hughes simply because they lack even basic integrity.  They don't think they are 'too big to fail' rather they think they are 'too great to fail'. Hughes should get contracts simply because business will go where the lowest price prevails and conditions can be enforced.  No individual person should ever do business with Hughes because to do so is to feed the hand that will slap you, and why pay the monster that tries to devour honorable companies it is in competition with.  My perspective is that Hughes seeks domination, ViaSat seeks enlightenment, thus I stay an Exede customer.

(Edited)
Photo of Al Bashlor

Al Bashlor

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Craig, eight years ago I would have agreed with you! I am all about companies that want to break the status-qoe, make a profit and provide a competitive product. I really don't have any problem investing in a long term venture. But if you've been doing business with these guys as long as I have you know what happened last time. "The new VatSat is going to be great, new fast speeds, new pricing with better FAP options." Well, they did put it up there, they did offer new packages (not really any better but new) and for about three months the service was not bad at all. I rarely ran out of FAP and the speeds would do anything I needed. But they over sold themselves and we suffer for their bad business practices. I have spent ten years using the same words you used in your response above "may be rewarded" "hope for a pricing plan" "as soon as ViaSat-2 goes live next year" etc. etc. If I had hoped for ten years that my son would eventually comprehend using a potty and he didn't - one of two things would be true 1) there is something wrong with him or 2) I am a really bad dad. In my estimation I am not a bad (dad) internet user. I know that all devices have to have the WiFi turned off at all times when not in use. I know I can't watch a video like normal internet users do every day without giving it a second thought. I know that I have to try to use my internet in the wee hours of the morning or while most people are at work in order to get fast enough speeds to get a banking page to open. I don't think its me. I think its the service that can't get it right.

I do absolutely agree with you concerning Hughes net - I too have found them to be a company of no integrity what so ever.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
I know that I have to try to use my internet in the wee hours of the morning or while most people are at work in order to get fast enough speeds to get a banking page to open.
I keep my internet connection throttled on my end at 150 kbps (0.15 Mbps) (about 3X dial up) for everyday internet activities, so that your average wasteful website (i.e. almost all websites) can't burn up my data, and I never have a problem getting a banking page to open.  I have yet to see Exede get so slow that my speed is impaired while I have it in throttle.  I also get the impression that even the slowest speed you have experienced with Exede is faster than the 0.15 Mbps throttle I use.  Further, my data usage as shown by Exede has always agreed with the data used as shown by the network status window for the network adapter in Windows.

It could be possible that the problems you are having are being caused by errant programs on your computer and/or network.  Those kinds of problems come in all shapes and sizes including but not limited to: Windows 10; browser cruft, of which Google Chrome is the absolute worst; directTV genies; errant devices eating up your data through wifi; etc.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
I don't like Hughes simply because they lack even basic integrity.  They don't think they are 'too big to fail' rather they think they are 'too great to fail'. Hughes should get contracts simply because business will go where the lowest price prevails and conditions can be enforced.  No individual person should ever do business with Hughes because to do so is to feed the hand that will slap you, and why pay the monster that tries to devour honorable companies it is in competition with.  My perspective is that Hughes seeks domination...
I would also like to add that this describes likely all cable and wireless ISPs as well.  I know people who have cable and the company is constantly trying to jack the price up on them, sometimes as often as every month.
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1683 Posts
  • 1000 Reply Likes
  I know people who have cable and the company is constantly trying to jack  the price up on them, sometimes as often as every month.
Exede has earned  respect by offering multi-year price guarantees for moderately priced Internet service.  Cable companies are looking like they feel a need to make all the money they can, while they can, because they are about to be put out of business.
Photo of Al Bashlor

Al Bashlor

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I am the CFO for a small company that uses a business cable account for our internet, our multi-line phone system and our security system. I have had the same account with them for three and half years. They call and offer me different packages about once every six months but have not yet a single time raised our prices. I have a plan that includes 10 static ip address and an average rate of 90mb download and 15mb up load. I have unlimited use of this service. There are anywhere from 15 to 250 devices connected via WiFi and network to our system at any given time and these speeds falter only minimally. My price for this - $150.12 per month. That's $15 cheaper than what I pay Exede for internet that I couldn't even reply to these comments on. - had to wait till I got to work. Several of the commenters on this feed and others I have read, love to tell about friends that have increasing cable bills - my question - how many of those friends have ever had to use a satellite hook up and would they still be complainers if they did?  I realize that cable quality and satellite quality are two different fruits. But please don't tell me how much better we have it then cable people. Exede is not living up to their promises. They do not deliver but they expect us to continue to deliver our investment money. Further, when you call seeking their help, they always find a way to make it your fault that their service doesn't deliver. A very wise man once said "never hire a man to work for you based on his potential hire based on past performance." I am not a gambling individual - looks like my destination is to leave the solitude of a home I have built and move to a less remote place. My investment in Viasat/Exede/Wildblue is soon to be over. Prove me wrong Exede - Please, please prove me wrong!
(Edited)
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
...That's $15 cheaper than what I pay Exede for internet that I couldn't even reply to these comments on. - had to wait till I got to work...
Something has to be wrong with your home computer and/or network.  With my internet speed throttled at 0.15 Mbps (about 3X dial up) on my end, I had no problem pulling up twitter (a bloat site I chose at random just now), taking a screenshot of that site at random and posting the screenshot below.  If it were me and I was having the problems you state you are having, one of the things I would be doing is looking for malware on my computer and/or network.

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3703 Posts
  • 3722 Reply Likes
when I monitor it on my end - my numbers and their numbers arn't even close.
Show us your numbers and detail how you are monitoring your data usage. You may be missing something - it's easy to do that. If everything is being accounted for there should be no discrepancy - however the impact of re-transmission on data usage has never really been clarified - under many circumstances you wouldn't be able to detect retransmits that may count towards your usage (pointing towards an equipment problem) - responsibility for any retransmit usage would depend on the cause I guess.       
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2740 Posts
  • 1721 Reply Likes
I have been with Wildblue & Exede since early 2008. I have never had any problems with the usage reported by ViaSat/s metering system. Since switching to Exede in April 2012, I have been logging daily my usage as reported by ViaSat's meter and my ASUS router in Excel. The numbers are in agreement to within 0.5 GB monthly, most of the time my router is reporting a slightly higher data usage.
Photo of Gwalk900

Gwalk900, Champion

• 451 Posts
  • 471 Reply Likes

Al,

I am using an Asus RT-AC3100 router and enhanced the out-of-box "Traffic Monitor" to the Traffic Analyzer by installing the Asuswrt-merlin firmware (free).

The following Asus models can run the merlin enhanced firmware:

I have been a satellite internet user for over 13 years. I have in that time found that I could cut my usage drastically ... but, before you can address the usage, you need to know, in detail, just what it is that is connecting to and what it is doing.

Link to info on the 3100

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/searchpage.jsp?st=Asus+RT-AC3100&_dyncharset=UTF-8&id=pcat17071&...

Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
May I recommend the following?:
  • The people on the Exede call line are script driven filters and may not provide the needed focus to get your problems fixed.  You'll do much better giving the details of your problems here so that the moderators on this forum can see them and get them fixed.  But the details you post here need to be objective observations of the problems you are having and need to focus on the specific parts of the service you state you are having problems with.  If no problems are found there, then, you need to look at your home computer and/or network.
  • From where your dish is located, do a visual line of sight from your dish to where the satellite should be in the sky at your location.  Is there anything other than air and weather between your dish and that point in the sky?  If not, then no trees or anything like that need to be cut down.  You can use http://www.dishpointer.com/ to find out where the satellite should be in the sky at your location.
  • From a browser window on your computer, go to http://192.168.100.1  You should always be able to pull up that web page because you are communicating directly with your Exede modem and are not going to the satellite.  Go to the modem status page and look at "SNR."  A good value is 6.0 or more at all times.  If it is less at any time, your dish might not be pointed correctly.  Look at "Cable Resistance."  Is that value more than 1.0?  Do you see any red marks, warnings, or anything like that?  Go to the Tria page.  Do you see any red marks, warnings, or anything like that there?
  • Do you have EasyCare?  If you do, then there should be no charge for service calls.
  •  If you have the Exede wifi modem, turn off the wifi using the steps at: http://help.exede.net/articles/General/How-to-disable-the-router-signal-on-the-WiFi-Modem  Get a known clean computer and connect it to your Exede modem using an ethernet cable.  Use that with your Exede service for a while to see how well your service works and how much data is used.
In summary: my service works, as well as the service for many other people here, and you state that your service doesn't work.  I can do everything with my service that you state you can't do with yours.  We both have the exact same Exede service.  The question now becomes: what is it about your specific location that is causing the problems you state you are having.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Guess i am gonna amazon a new router today - another $249 - just to prove what a great service Exede provides for its customers.
My recommendation instead would be for you to do the following: if you have the Exede wifi modem, turn off the wifi using the steps at: http://help.exede.net/articles/General/How-to-disable-the-router-signal-on-the-WiFi-Modem  Get a known clean computer and connect it to your Exede modem using an ethernet cable.  Use that with your Exede service for a while to see how well your service works and how much data is used.
Photo of Al Bashlor

Al Bashlor

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm going to go through your list next day I have off and see if I can figure this out - thanks for the specifics.

Just learned by going on their sales page that they have had a far better package in my area for some time now that cost $60 less then what I have been paying.