Moving locations with Viasat-1

• Problem
  • Updated 3 weeks ago
  • In Progress
I have Unlimited 30 Gold service in AL Beam ID 349. I brought my modem and dish to LA Beam ID 349 and it worked great. Moved modem and dish to TX Beam ID 347 but to will not stay connected. Modem status will connect and go back to Syncing and Scanning. My Rx SNR will start at 7.5db then drop to -2.90db and back to 7.5db. Zip code in Tx is 77640
Photo of A Aron

A Aron

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 268 Posts
  • 94 Reply Likes
349 barely catches the eastern edge of La

347 is centered on the Tx La border

Waaaay too far away from "your" beam - give it up - ain't gonna happen
Photo of A Aron

A Aron

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
not sure how that works. i enter a install key of *REMOVED MODEM KEY* and find Viasat-1 but i cant join the network. Why?
(Edited)
Photo of thorneo

thorneo

• 94 Posts
  • 33 Reply Likes
because you are outside your assigned beam... everyone on vatsat-1 has been assigned a beam and you are way outside your assigned one..

Photo of A Aron

A Aron

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
How can I change it or does Viasat have to change it?
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 240 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Your account is 'married' to:
1 You (if you are the account holder)
2 The beam assigned at the time of sale

Two ways to change beams:
1 cancel current account - get new one
2 apply for a Mover from your Dealer or Viasat directly, you will get new hardware & a fresh two year contract
https://help.viasat.com/articles/General/Moving-your-Exede-services 

Photo of A Aron

A Aron

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks for the help? Is the Viasat 2 the same thing?
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 970 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
Bob's right.  Your account is tied to your assigned beam through your location.  Changing beams or location will result in an inability to connect.  

How'd you get the modem keys?
(Edited)
Photo of Jason Fernandez

Jason Fernandez

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Why can’t I keep the same equipment when I’m moving a block away with same view of current satalite ?
Photo of A Aron

A Aron

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
by searching viasat 1 beam map pdf. i found a pdf with the AA terminal install keys. im  going to call Viasat and have it moved to my new location. thanks for the info
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 963 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
So, two things.  Beam keys should only be utilized by certified technicians.  Each work order has the current beam key attached to it, as they can change regularly.  Attempting to use keys that you found online may not work, and is in violation of the customer agreement.

Which brings me to the second thing.  The customer agreement states that only certified technicians are authorized to perform maintenance on Viasat equipment.  If you end up damaging the equipment by accident (in this case, burning out the TRIA as it attempts to make contact with the wrong beam), you're on the hook for it.  No one wants that. :-)

----------------

You said you moved.  What's going to need to happen is you call Customer Care at 855-463-9333.  Request a move order.  This will shut down your current account, and a new one will be built.  A technician will be sent out to install all new equipment, and an equipment recovery kit will be sent so you can return the old equipment.  They cannot be reused.  All of this will be at no charge to you, though a new 24 month agreement will be signed.  
Photo of Jason Fernandez

Jason Fernandez

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Why is this? The equipment I’m on works great so because I’m moving down the road with the same line of sight to the satalite I have to switch to a worse plan?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 781 Posts
  • 502 Reply Likes
Yep. When you move you have to take whatever plan is now available.
(Edited)
Photo of Jason Fernandez

Jason Fernandez

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
What does the address on file have to do with service. Say I move my equipment next door and have a technician realign it. Would that work?
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 295 Posts
  • 98 Reply Likes
Viasat would make you sign a new contract if you move next door as new service and a new plan change to what ever is offered. You would have to pay a none Viasat installer to move it should you not want to deal with them. And if you move out of assigned beam all bets are off.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 240 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
"What does the address on file have to do with service."

Address determines satellite beam assignment that account is tattooed/branded/married to.

"Say I move my equipment next door and have a technician realign it. Would that work?"

Official answer:
no no no
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 781 Posts
  • 502 Reply Likes
I know of one that would do it....

But officially, move across the street and you must take a new plan, and only what is available at the time.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2702 Posts
  • 1414 Reply Likes
Andy got fired for taking care of people.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 781 Posts
  • 502 Reply Likes
And you did all that work for a champion tag...

How do you like me now!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2702 Posts
  • 1414 Reply Likes
Yes sir.  Whats a shame is I really like my Liberty 12 plan.  I'm typing this to you right now while I am on the Liberty Pass.  

Thankfully my contract is up and I'm free to leave without penalty should my Liberty 12 plan start sucking.

What I don't like is how Viasat made plans such as Freedom 150 suck in order to get people to pay more money for less data.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 781 Posts
  • 502 Reply Likes
Yep. Or in some areas charge $150 for installation while other areas get it free. Or some areas pay $150 for silver 12 and others get Gold 25 for that price. It is a form of geographical discrimination and has nothing to do with cost of living in poor areas.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 240 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
My reply earlier was edited
I will leave it at that...
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 781 Posts
  • 502 Reply Likes
Seriously, it is frustrating to a customer. Move down the street, put your plan in vacation mode, etc, and you may or may keep your plan. Hard to explain that rationale to a customer.
Photo of Jason Fernandez

Jason Fernandez

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So if the property I was on is 100 acres and I want to move it from the west to the east side on the same property how does that work?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 781 Posts
  • 502 Reply Likes
It goes by street address I believe. If your property has two different homes with 2 different physical addresses, yes.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2702 Posts
  • 1414 Reply Likes
I thought Andy got fired for moving equipment on the same property without reporting it.  My understanding was he did this off the record so someone could keep their existing plan.  Otherwise, if the customer would have officially paid to have the equipment moved, their plan would have changed.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1913 Posts
  • 1180 Reply Likes
Oh, wow.  I didn't know he was fired.  I thought he was just booted from here.  :( 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1913 Posts
  • 1180 Reply Likes
Oh, wow.  I didn't know he was fired.  I thought he was just booted from here.  :( 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1913 Posts
  • 1180 Reply Likes
Double posts.  Two times in a row (in five minutes).  SMH.  It's gotten worse lately.  
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 240 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
The dish is required to be installed by a certified Technician - regardless of how many inches, feet or miles are involved...
Photo of Dances with Woofs

Dances with Woofs

• 7 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes

He wasn't fired - simply booted from here after the Hoodwinked dustup. Clear Choice Satellite is still showing as an Authorized Elite Dealer.

(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 781 Posts
  • 502 Reply Likes
Correct. But I dont know how many new installs he does anymore.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 240 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Ohhhh, that is why one of my posts got edited

The 'edited' part had a similar 'odor' as Andy's

Upon reflection, back in the pre WildBlue days with Hughes, there was a lot of home brew handyman tripod/mobile tinkering going on that caused a lot of network problems & unnecessary support calls.

From that angle I can support Viasat's hardish line position trying to protect the integrity of their network.
Poor performing sites negatively impact all the users on a beam.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 79 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Pretty ridiculous if a customer is moving within the same beam, that they have to possibly lose their plan and agree to a new 24 month commitment.

It would be a customer friendly policy to charge someone for the install expense.  A customer is a loyal paying one if they are willing to do that, even if under contract already.  Other than that, a simple contact info change shouldn't come with "penalties".  Using working existing equipment seems reasonable too (or extra fee for new).  Allowing that would lessen "bootleg" installs.

But, why would Viasat be customer friendly?
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1913 Posts
  • 1180 Reply Likes
Dances,

Thanks for the link.  I remembered what had happened, but for the life of me I couldn't find the thread.  I tried finding a couple of weeks ago, and again today, with the latter being to see if anything was mentioned about being fired.  I didn't think there was.  

BTW, your name.  If I'm right, welcome back.  

On a side note, as if the double posting isn't ridiculous enough.  I now just saw this (pic below), and had to refresh the page. Just crazy!  And, of course, it might double post again.  

Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 79 Posts
  • 25 Reply Likes
Weird dream. While I was casually reading, I thought I observed someone rescuing woofs, as a walrus passed by.
Photo of A Aron

A Aron

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
still have a question though. why was i able to use it in La at my fishing camp using beam id 348 and the beam i use at home in Al is beam 349?
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 963 Posts
  • 485 Reply Likes
The beams border each other.  My guess is you were in an area that the beams overlap.  
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 299 Posts
  • 102 Reply Likes
Viasat is gonna kick you off for doing this .....