What are the costs involved with moving service in the same area?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
what will it cost to move in the same area
Photo of Debra Mclain

Debra Mclain

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 3 years ago

Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3048 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
Hello Debra,

If the same packages are available in the area you are moving to you can expect the same costs. Some areas do have different packages available with different rates. You can check the packages that will be available in your new home by plugging in your zip code at exede.com
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I think maybe she means what would be the cost to have the equipment moved to her new address maybe?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3048 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
ah, (sorry still waking up) that again depends on location, if a dealer is used, if a promotion is in effect, ect. 
Photo of Jim

Jim, Champion

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
You should find a local dealer/installer to help you determine what you need to do. As long as you move within the same beam you should only need to have your equipment moved and re-installed and then change your address with Exede. You may also consider a new account. You would have to pay any early termination fees but you would get free installation at your new address. Of course you would then be under a new 2-year commitment. If you have to pay for the installation, get some bids if possible. It should rarely cost you more than $200 in most locations. There may be other options depending on where you are, how long you have been with Exede, etc. A local dealer will be best equipped to help you figure what is best for you. Unfortunately Exede has no "Mover" program like DirecTV and Dish Network. Good luck.
Photo of dxrobertson

dxrobertson

• 16 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I had moved my service a year or so ago and unless Viastat/Exede has changed their business practices, you may encounter some surprises.

When I first called to initiate a move, it was not initially explained to me that a "move" is really an end to my current contract and the start of a completely new 2 year contract.  This meant I would have lost my paid for life lease.  After talking with another rep, I was told that if my original installer handled the new install, I could keep my paid for life lease.  Not sure why this was so, but its what I did. 

I had to order the box and pack up the Tria and ship it back.  You should take pictures of the packed box and get a receipt for shipment.  There were reports of these shipments getting "lost" or missing contents.

When you start a new contract, and have already paid the full month of the old contract; you get double billed for the days that overlap.  You do not get a refund for unused days of the old contract.

Bottom line is to ask questions and know exactly whats going to happen, and stay on top of it.
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I think your best option would be as Jim stated, Call your local dealer directly and see if they can come out unhook everything and move it to your new house and hopefully only charge would be for the tech to come do it and you will have no change in your contract/ service.
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 57 Reply Likes
I didn't know you could get a "paid for life" lease. Is that still available? I've been with Exede for awhile and the tax on the the equipment lease fees is pretty high (my state wants to tax internet usage even though its not allowed, so they tax the equipment lease-- oh, but they call it a "fee" even though its a tax).
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2730 Posts
  • 1716 Reply Likes
The "lifetime lease" option was available when Exede first went online. It was part of "carrot" when they were trying to get people to switch from Wildblue to the new Exede. That was 3 1/2 years ago. It only lasted a few months. I was fortunate enough to get in on the super deal. Right now I haven't heard that it is available anymore.
Photo of Jim

Jim, Champion

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
The lifetime lease came back about a month ago. $299.99 but only for new customers I think.
Photo of Kentuckienne

Kentuckienne

• 26 Posts
  • 11 Reply Likes
I signed up for eXede back in 2012 - switched from HughesNet and got that same "life lease". Paid up front and then didn't have to pay a monthly fee. Now, no one at exede's customer service seems to know anything about this. Does this mean the modem is mine? Or must I return it upon contract termination?
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3042 Posts
  • 1069 Reply Likes
Kentuckienne, Send us an email to exedelistens@viasat.com and we can look back to see if that fee was paid. If the modem was changed (ie going from Wildblue to Exede, or going from regular modem to wifi modem) it wouldn't apply 
Photo of Jim

Jim, Champion

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Even if you paid the lifetime lease, the equipment remains the property of Exede and you will have to return it.