Moved website Viasat not following the move

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • Solved
The godaddy site will display once after modem is reset but immediate reverts to old site on Bluehost . Same URL on both hosts. Godaddy works fine using different ISP (cellular). Cleared cache. Ipconfig/flushdns. Reboot pc. Is there a magic order to these steps? Or an answer as to why Viasat modem won’t go to godaddy?
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 10 months ago

Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 325 Posts
  • 104 Reply Likes
DNS changes take time to propagate. Wait 24 hours.
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Will do. However why does different ISP have no problem? Different ISP means different DNS server right? So I conclude problem is with Viasat DNS server.
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The status should not be changed to solved until I have a chance to check it. Not home til Sunday.
Photo of Brody

Brody

• 4 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
What browser are you using with the machine that is not loading GoDaddy.com? Also, so that I understand, is it that you had a site with bluehost and now have it with godaddy? If so, when did you make the switch?
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Tried both chrome and explorer. Both had same problem. Made the switch on that day.
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I connected my pc to me phones hot spot hit refresh and it displayed godaddy. Without doing anything else connected pc to Viasat hit refresh and displayed blue host. Did same thing on phone. Disconnected from Viasat displayed godaddy. Connected to Viasat hit refresh displayed Bluehost.
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Tried both chrome and safari on phone.
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I feel I have eliminated all variables except Viasat.
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Currently waiting til I get home to see if time cured the problem.
Photo of Bluebird

Bluebird

• 10 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
was a few sites that i got blocked from until i used a vpn , new ip no problems , also viasat throttles you when you download from sites such as youtube to 150 kbps or less
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2374 Posts
  • 1441 Reply Likes
also viasat throttles you when you download from sites such as youtube to 150 kbps or less
Absolute nonsense.  
Photo of Hope

Hope

• 21 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Checked on Sunday 72 hours working fine
Photo of Jesse Lopez

Jesse Lopez

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
So, too have noticed this. Viasats DNS servers usually take the full 72 hours for them to propagate, they must have DNS caching to help load sites faster. A work around would be to set the dns servers on your local computer to another dns server such as 4.2.2.1 or 8.8.8.8 These servers propagate almost immediately (same day). Hope this helps in case you (or someone else ) experience this again.
Photo of David S.

David S.

• 37 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
From what I understand after reading the old Wildblue and now thisViasat forums is if you have Viasat internet service you cannot change dns servers because Viasat hijacks your dns settings.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 415 Posts
  • 369 Reply Likes
While it used to be true that Viasat hijacked DNS requests (I believe it was necessary for the older web acceleration technology that was being used), that no longer appears to be the case and that it's possible to specify your own DNS servers. While the current web acceleration is still a proxy server implementation, it doesn't appear to intercept DNS requests based on some empirical testing. 

Of course things are often not always as they appear with Viasat and questions like this (as well as whether Viuasat relies on carrier grade NAT) go unanswered when a simple yes or no answer from Viasat would dispel any doubts - why the reticence Viasat? Folks have been asking these questions for years - it's not like they are trade secrets. 

P.S. FWIW I've been using Cloudfare's DNS for quite awhile on my router; more recently I've  been reevaluating Firefox's implementation of DNS over HTTPs also. Neither has caused any problems and I don't really miss the sporadic DNS request errors I used to get with Viasat's DNS servers.
(Edited)