Modem Status Stuck on Ranging?

• Problem
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
So my internet has been out since last night. Looking at the modem status page, it get's stuck on ranging, then goes back to scanning, syncing, then back to ranging before repeating not being able to establish a connection.

I'm going to go ahead and try to contact Viasat today, but if they have to send someone out I am afraid of how long this will take to get fixed with Christmas and everything being this week. 

I was wondering if anyone else is experiencing this or may know of what can cause it (ie is it something likely on my end or Viasat's end?). Is it something I can maybe take care of myself (ie possibly a loose wire or dish unaligned, etc?).

Thanks guys.

Photo of Billy

Billy

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 419 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
That usually happens due to weather conditions either at your location or at your ViaSat gateway...also the ViaSat Gateway or Accelenet servers may be down or undergoing maintenance.  

The longest outage I've had is overnight..I have Dish-Network for TV and if I loose that signal then I know the problem is at my location..

If your outage lasts more than overnight you should call the ViaSat help line..they can do some tests from their end to determine if the problem is at your end and recommend corrective action..

Photo of Billy

Billy

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Hi thanks for the response.

It been out probably about 13 hours now (give or take)?  I contacted Viasat via online chat and apparently they couldn't really see anything from their end, by the sound of it the support rep couldn't even detect my modem. 

The rep scheduled a service call for Wednesday (was hoping they could send someone on Monday but it's a bad week with the holidays, so I get it). So I guess there isn't much else I can do but wait and either see if it starts working again later on or wait until Wednesday.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Billy, try something for me. power down your computer, power down the Viasat modem by unplugging it from the WALL (that is important, do not unplug power from the back of the modem.) Wait FIVE full minutes, plug the modem in. Wait five minutes again then, turn your computer back on.

See if that breaks the stuck ranging cycle and, gets you back online.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3073 Posts
  • 1973 Reply Likes
Billy, have you tried disconnecting the power to the modem at the wall outlet. Leave the power supply disconnected from the power for at least a minute or two, then plug back in, and see if the modem can establish a connection to the satellite.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
They couldn't detect your modem because your modem is not online connected to the satellite.  Is something obstructing your dish?  Ice?  Snow?  Did you dish go out of alignment because of a storm?  Also unplugging the modem as others have suggested with worth a try too.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 240 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Why does it matter where you unplug the power? Is there some defect in the power transformer box that needs a reset now and then?
Photo of Billy

Billy

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
@Bev / @Steve

Hi I shut everything off and  I tried unplugging it for over a hour, still no change. Thanks for the suggestion though.

@VeteranSatUser

Yea I figured as much. No snow, no ice though. We did have a big wind and rain storm the night before, but it was working after the storm. Last night was pretty clear and only slightly windy. It certainty possible though that the wind could have shifted it some out of alignment, only way I could check that though it by going up on the roof and seeing if it's loose.

It was working fine all day yesterday though. I was watching a video online about 8pm and it just cut out during the video and never came back on. I actually haven't had any problems with it in over 5 months, not since I had the TRIA replaced because rain got into it.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Did you get the modem stats? Anything in red? Maybe a bad tria again ?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
No defect in the transformer that I know of but, several installers have said that how you unplug the modem matters. None have ever told me why but, I trust them to know- they are senior installers/company owners - reputable dealers and, have been doing this for a long time.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 240 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
I asked because the man who installed mine unplugged the cord from the modem, not the wall. He did this a couple times during the installation and never unplugged the wall plug.
Photo of wm4bama

wm4bama, Champion

• 419 Posts
  • 268 Reply Likes
The reasoning for unplugging modem power via the wall plug may have been started from the early Wildblue days..using the small power connector on the back of the modem risked damaging the female connector on the back of the modem and modem had to be replaced.

I have unplugged and re-plugged the modem power connector on the newer ViaSat modem many times without any problems..

After I installed my UPS I just use the switch on the UPS and it removes power from all the equipment I use,  Switching the UPS back ON causes all the devices to reboot..my modem, router, computer, scanner and printer all reboot..
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
You are right Bama. In the early days, a number of customers bent pins trying to plug the power connector back into the modem.
Photo of Wyngs

Wyngs

• 61 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
I unplug the MODM from the wall then lay my finger across the three prongs. My thinking is that this might uncharge a capacitor or two that wouldn't normally get uncharged. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
You very well may have a bad tria again. What does your modem stats say about the tria? Is it red?
Photo of Billy

Billy

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Nothing was shown as wrong on the modem stats, other than the failing at ranging.  Everything else appears fine. It certainly could be the tria but it doesn't seem to doing the same thing it was last time when that was the issue.

Also after leaving the modem unplugged all night, I plugged it back in and the light stayed red. I could not even detect or connect to it. I unplugged it again and finally the light went back to purple and again it got stuck on ranging. This one the the newer white VS2 gateways, ie the modem / router combo.

So it could be the modem. I've suspected for a while now the modem has had some issues but I could not get them to change it because it was always working when ever a service tech came out.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2357 Posts
  • 459 Reply Likes
Hi Billy,  With the issue you described, please call Customer Care.  It appears we may need to some troubleshooting and possibly schedule a service call.   
Photo of Billy

Billy

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Diana, I already called and have a service call scheduled for Wednesday. 
Photo of Billy

Billy

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well I spent 5 days without internet. Service Tech came out, got it working. It worked for exactly a week and is now doing the same thing again.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 240 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
What did the tech do to get it working? Sounds like they may need to replace a part next visit.
Photo of Billy

Billy

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I'm not sure exactly. I know they took the TRIA off and tried a different one. But I think they put the old one back on because it still wasn't working. The only thing I know they replaced for sure was the modem. 
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Billy, call and, email again, get it fixed. If need be, email viasatlistens@viasat.com and, have them help you get a different tech out there. Not all installers are equal, some are great, most are good and, a few are bad.
Photo of Billy

Billy

• 33 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Well now I don't know what to do. It just came back on by itself and is working. It was off all day long. Now I have a tech scheduled for Friday, but I'm not sure if I should cancel. I'm going to wait until tomorrow and see if it stays on all night, but imagine they won't do anything if it working when they get here so it probably best just to cancel if it stays on.
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 240 Posts
  • 81 Reply Likes
Yes, intermittent problems are nasty to resolve. I would log into the modem periodically and check all of the parameters that it will show. I would do screen shots of the modem stats, IFL stats and Tria stats. I would do this a few times to get a baseline when things are working. Then I would repeat this a few times if the ranging issue returns. That might provide the tech some clues as to what has changed and what may be marginal.