Modem Slowing Down

• Problem
  • Updated 9 months ago
  • Acknowledged
My modem has developed an issue where it continually slows down.    I can reset it and on Speedtest see 25-35 Mb download speed.   Within a couple of hours, it drops to 15Mb.   Eventually, it drops to around .5 (if I wait that long).   If I cut the power for 5 seconds, it will be back to 25-35 Mb.  This cycle usually occurs over 4-5 hours and it has to be processing traffic.   Sitting overnight doesn't cause it to be slow when I start up in the morning.    It reminds me of a program with a memory leak.   I've contacted Viasat and a technician is coming out tomorrow.   Just not sure it is a hardware issue.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
Wait and see what the tech says, it very well could be a hardware issue.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Bev,

Does ViaSat further divide its beams into channels, where the modem connects to the least populated channel at the time it's started?  And, over time, that channel gets more people on it, causing it to slow?  

I ask this because that's what mine is like with HughesNet.  This is why power cycling the modem sometimes helps to improve the speed when it starts to get slow, at least temporarily.  On the subsequent power up it again chooses the cleanest, or least populated, channel.  I didn't know if ViaSat was similar.  
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1463 Reply Likes
I dn't know, Gabe but, I'm going to say probably, it only makes sense. VS! and VS 2 might differ on that though being they are very different satellites technology wise.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: beams into channels

There were dedicated Tx/Rx channels on original Wildblue's "birds,"  users were assigned a specific channel set. 

WiMax protocol is being used, "flipping channels" is possible via Frequency Selective Scheduling, but Viasat may or may not do this.  Their Tx/Rx equipment would have to be capable, and someone would have to do the required programming.

My uninformed understanding, when aircraft came onboard, Viasat reserved frequencies for them, which means channel flipping did not exist, at least in earlier days.   Channel bandwidth can be resized on VS-1 and later birds, but earlier WB's can't, as I understand.

VS-2 is a different bird...it can downlink data on more than one frequency.  Offhand, I'd say channel flipping is possible, if it is wise to flip frequencies instantaneously; hence, can their TRIAs handle channel flipping in Ka frequency bands.

Here's a WiMax overview, in tech speak.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
RE: "...HughesNet...power cycling the modem sometimes...chooses the cleanest, or least populated, channel"

Hughes use to do channel-pair assignments....unless they have stated otherwise, how about the modem reboot just eliminates a modem SNAFU (buffer choke, CPU thermal issues, etc)?

Footnote on Channel Flipping - Be it cellphones, satellite, WISPs, etc., having each CPE unit on frequency is best.  I'm not a geek here, but it would be logical to have a CPE unit "drift" its assigned frequency initially before being engaged.  I know Tx power is evaluated, but I don't know if frequency is evaluated.  Hence, with channel flipping, not channel assignment changes, Tx unit would have to nail freq jumps, perfectly.  Changes in channel assignment is possible, but flipping with consumer grade CPE equipment may be risky.  With aircraft equipment, they go from beam to beam, so polarity would have to be changed, but an unknown about flipping channels.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
Hughes use to do channel-pair assignments....unless they have stated otherwise, how about the modem reboot just eliminates a modem SNAFU (buffer choke, CPU thermal issues, etc)?
HughesNet does as I stated.    A power cycle or reboot connects the modem to the cleanest channel within the beam. 
(Edited)
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Update on problem:   The tech came out yesterday afternoon and replaced the modem.   My speed is much more consistent.   The slowest I've seen is 20mb.   This morning I was around 22 mb and decided to reset the modem to see if it improved and it did.   That was a couple of hours ago and I'm still at 43 mb.   My old modem was also beginning to cycle itself, which never improved the download speed when it came back up.   It always required the power being disrupted to make an improvement.  Another noticeable difference between the modems is this one runs much cooler.   The old modem ran hot from day 1.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Thanks for the feedback - it's rare for folks who experience problems here to come back here with the outcome. 
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Update 2 on problem:    The problem is back.   I have to unplug the modem every 2 or 3 hours to get my speed back.   I was at .74 mb download.   Unplugged it for 5 seconds and now I'm at 32 mb.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Update 3 on problem:   The modem continued to give me problems.   I had switched the power off and on and as it was booting up, I logged into the modem.   I saw a message flash that a software update was in progress.   After the modem reset itself a couple of times I tested the speed and it was above 40 mb.    It has stayed in a 30-47 mb range for the last 3 hours.   Modem seems cooler to the touch also. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
What plan are you on? I have my suspicions
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
25 mb, unlimited.    I think I know your suspicions. 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
How much priority data?
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
150 and I doubt I've ever exceeded 70.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Yep. Stand by for my theory. You are not going to like it.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Sure you want to put it out on this forum?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
The recent policy change?
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Tom

Viasat is environmentally concerned...yes, they recycle DOA modems to existing customers for the environment:-)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
So I too restart my modem. I too am on a 150GB plan. Sunday morning I started my modem. North of 19Mbps. That's great! A few hours later, below 500kbps.

Viasat wants everybody off the 150GB plans. They want to make the experience great for the MAJORITY. They don't want people to have the pleasure of using their grandfathered plans, and are desperate to get people off them.

My theory is after your modem is booted for awhile, based on the plan, that are sending a signal back to the modem to throttle or deprioritze you (whatever you want to call it). So they are controlling speeds in some way at the modem level.

Just a theory of course, but do some tests. I bet you will find this to be the case.

Want better speeds all the time? Change plans. But then why would you do business with a company that does this to you? Only you can answer that question.

Good luck!
(Edited)
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
A few days ago when I was complaining, they suggested I switch to the Liberty Plan, which is slower and restricted data.   Anyway, it is running great today.   I'm on software version UT2_3.7.8.0.10
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Give it time.

And you are right. You would have to downgrade to less speed and data.

But if you like your plan you can keep your plan.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Are you running the same software version?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Augmented Beam
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Last I knew, speeds are controlled via Modem...commands are sent to it.  DOCSIS protocol is underneath Viasat's equipment.  One could google this topic.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Tom. Not sure. My Viasat modem is off. If all goes well I won't turn it on ever again.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Tom's likely got the Viasat WiFi modem (the one that doubles as a space heater) not the standalone - different software version.
(Edited)
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3518 Posts
  • 1320 Reply Likes
and for burying miniature pharaohs AND may or may not be filled with chocolate.  Leaving out the important stuff CO!
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes, that is what I have.    I don't know what they were thinking when they combined a router with a modem.   BTW, I keep checking the speed.   It slowed a little around 5:30, but it's still above 25 mb.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
I've got the standalone - same version as Jab (and probably VeteranSatUser) and that's not all we have in common either - NRTC. Many folks were in here asking for a combo device several years back, Viasat listened and delivered - careful what you wish for but hey it reduces desktop clutter!    
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
And heats the house!
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
I also have the original Surfbeam modem. I have the same software version that Jab posted.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Have you been having the same issues?  I haven't had an issue since the software update on my modem yesterday.  It slowed down some last night but I think it was legitimate traffic issues, not equipment problems.   The modem runs noticeably cooler.  

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
@Tom, I have not had any of these issues. My modem is the non WiFi original, the best modem in my opinion. My WiFi comes to me via my ASUS router.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Give it time Tom. Unless you switch plans you will continue to have issues.

But yes, the original modem was the best. But it won't fry eggs and you need your own router.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2222 Posts
  • 1356 Reply Likes
And heats the house!
My DirecTV mini is like that.  It runs at about 165F, and that's normal.  Because I can't see it I have to guess, but I imagine that my HN combo modem (w/ WiFi) never gets over 100F.  It vents through the top, and it barely feels warm, even after it's been on for hours on end, and with the WiFi enabled (it's normally disabled).  Heck, my old, single band Netgear router gets hotter than this thing.  
(Edited)
Photo of Todd P

Todd P

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I’m having the same issue, but most of the time a reset doesn’t help. I have unlimited 12 with a 150 gig befor being slowed to beyond useless. I’ve been seeing .5 to 1.2 most of the time&. Right now it’s .7 mbs . My data reset on the 4th. Went over last month first time and it averaged .03 Mbs yes little b. One morning it was still .05 mbs I did a reset and it went to 12 mbs, didn’t last long and it hasn’t seemed right since.
(Edited)
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Mine started slowing down again yesterday.   Happening to people on the Silver unlimited plan that they no longer offer.

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
Those 150 GB plans are subject to slowdowns no matter how much data you have used in the cycle per the updated data policy.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
True, but to drop to <1 mb download is not acceptable.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
They could at least give us 50GB of data before being "deprioritized" like the large Liberty plan.  That I could understand, if they are trying to "level the playing field" like they claim! 
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm at 44.5gb with 7 days to go.   They tried to get me to move to the Liberty plan.   Do they not slow you down on the limited data plans?

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
I moved from the Freedom to Liberty 50, my speeds went from 0.8 to 2.0 back to normal, 8 to 18 Mbps. I am on the 12 Mbps plan. I didn't want to switch, but I like to have a usable speed.

I am current testing the Verizon prepaid unlimited plan using a 7730L Jetpack. The first day results are good, so I may be soon leaving Viasat after 11 years.

I am going to downgrade to the Liberty 12 GB plan for a month or so until I am confident the Verizon will e a reliable source of internet f or my needs.
(Edited)
Photo of James Besser

James Besser

• 107 Posts
  • 38 Reply Likes
steve hope you stay in this room you have good advice for people won't do a like hate too see you leave

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
@Steve Frederick........Have you gone over your cap to see what speed you get?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I am with Steve. I give Viasat the boot in about 3 weeks. That is going to be one heck of a farewell post.

Steve, hit me up on DSLReports if you have any questions on transitioning. I have learned some settings that you might want to look at.
(Edited)

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
@James Besser, I will likely be disconnecting with Viasat in another month, if things go well with my Verizon Jetpack on the prepaid unlimited plan. I have only been using it since Friday evening. I will however continue to be part of this community forum as long as the moderators allow me to be here.

@Micheal McDowell, I am on the prepaid unlimited plan, which has no data limit, unlike the plans on Viasat. I have been using it since Friday evening, so have only used about 15GB so far.

@VetSatUser, I will have to go over to DSLReports once I get some free time. 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1161 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Steve

About three years ago, VZW apparently considered usage over 200GB/monthly as excessive. But, 4G bandwidth has been increasing as CDMA's bandwidth is phased out.  During this time interval, VZW has upgraded many of their 4G towers, which those towers upgraded will have more capacity than in earlier 4G installs.

Viasat does have a vacation plan, which NRTC offers also.  Upto 6 months, but a minimum fee is charged.  As Viasat is gaining more/more planned commercial usage, along with CAF-II pilgrims when this is approved, loosing customers to wireless carriers will not affect their bottom line.

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
@Steve Frederick........Have you gone over your cap to see what speed you get?

I meant on your Liberty 50GB plan, since you switched from your 150GB Freedom plan.
Photo of Todd P

Todd P

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I dream of another option becoming available for me. Though it’s all around me. All the local phone co around me ran dsl 12-15 yrs ago to all their customers, but I’m stuck with windstream and they have done nothing. I’m 1 mile to far from a cell tower, 2 miles from dsl, 3-4 miles from cable, uuugh. Oh well maybe one day till then Viasat. Hope it works out for ya Steve.

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
@Michael, I misunderstood your question. I have not exceeded my 50GB yet on Viasat, that will happen either today or tomorrow, as I am at 46GB right now. I will post my speed when I hit the Liberty Pass.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Just wondering what your download speed is right now.  I'm on the 25mb Unlimited and currently at 1.26mb.   They began throttling me back around noon on Friday.   I've used about 48GB of my 150gb priority. 

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
@Steven ...... Thanks.  I'm in about the same situation as you were.  I have the 30Mbps 150GB Gold Unlimited plan now.  I rarely use more than 100GB per month.  I also am playing around with the VZN  prepaid unlimited plan.  Presently, only getting 1 to 2 bars signal but getting 10 to 20 Mbps downloads.

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
@Tom, currently I am getting 17 Mbps down on my Liberty 50 GB 12 Mbps plan, still have priority data remaining. I left the Freedom 150 GB plan last month, download speed varied from 0.8 to 2.0 Mbps.

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
@Michael, I am in the 1 to 3 bar range with my Jetpack, around 8 Mbps down and 7 Mbps up. This is faster then my smart phone is getting. I am about 5 miles from the tower, with a few hills in the way, no line of sight for me. I have been successfully streaming 1080p video on the Jetpack with no buffering, so I am happy with it.

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
@Michael, I am now in on the Liberty Pass. Speed at almost 5 p.m. EDT was 9.56 Mbps, not too shabby.

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Not bad for a Sunday afternoon!  Are you sure Liberty Pass has kicked in?

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
Yes, I had already gotten the  notice, and the warning shows up in the account page.

It is just past 6 now, and speed has dropped to 4.6 Mbps. I am sure during the prime time in the evening, that speed will be slower.

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
I'm trying to figure if I should "bite the bullet" and drop back to the Liberty 50 Plan.  At this point it feels like I'm just paying $50 extra for less speed, although my 150GB Unlimited Plan has been pretty much usable after the initial 2-3 weeks that I was affected.  I don't try to stream much.  Just not sure I'm really gaining anything by holding onto my 150GB plan!

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
I had switched from the Freedom to the Liberty 50GB a few weeks ago, price was the same, $100. Since I am having decent results with the 7300L Jetpack, I have changed to the Liberty 12GB, which is only $50, paying for a good portion of the Vz plan.

Liberty Pass speed is showing signs of the evening traffic, down to 3.6 Mbps.

Michael McDowell

• 651 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
My download on VS is 2.88 %.06 U--- VZW 6.06 DL 6.1UL
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Now my modem reset every hour on the hour.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Whatever happened to if you like your plan you can keep your plan?
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
My modem is still being reset every hour on the hour.   I assume this is a direct result of my filing a complaint with the FCC.   I'm surprised this forum still exists, although I've printed everything.

• 3176 Posts
  • 2042 Reply Likes
And another one with a "conspiracy theory".
Photo of Todd P

Todd P

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Wow In the last hour my speeds have been 18.4 and 13.9 mbs. Last night prime was around 1.2, was able to stream YouTube all evening without buffering. I’m on old bronze 12 unlimited 150gig.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
10 minutes after my last post, my speed went back to normal and the modem is no longer resetting itself every hour.   
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Unless they know your MAC address tied to this account profile, even if they wanted to do something they couldn't.
Photo of Tom

Tom

• 20 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Something was resetting that modem.   I don't mean it was around an hour either.   You could set the second hand on your watch to it.   I'm not running at the same speed I was before this latest episode, but I don't care either.    I only picked 25 mb download because providers seldom meet their advertising.
Photo of Todd P

Todd P

• 5 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
It’s now 3 pm and Still getting 17.5
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
If you are on an 150GB plan, it is early yet :).