Modem Size

• Question
  • Updated 4 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
I am working on a cabinet design and am needing the actual size of the older black and blue modem. I do not have the model number as my client hasn't provided that. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Photo of Joel Janzen

Joel Janzen

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2779 Posts
  • 1750 Reply Likes
The modems generate a bit of heat, and ventilation is necessary to prevent poor operation, or even permanent damage. It is not  recommended that it be operated in a closed area.
Photo of Joel Janzen

Joel Janzen

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Steve,
We are taking that into account and providing the necessary ventilation (both input and exhaust). Any idea of the size? Thank you.
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 29 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Hardware can change over time

Allow for generous room for a couple of 12 packs to fit in the space and you should be covered - and allow for plenty of ventilation
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3361 Posts
  • 1930 Reply Likes
Be advised if/when they upgrade to Viasat-2/Viasat-3 in the future, the modem is a completely different design. I would not recommend customizing it too much and keep it a generic size.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 457 Posts
  • 171 Reply Likes
Approx 8 inches high by 8 inches deep by 2 inches thick.  Allow for  cables at the back and  the footprint of the plastic base is about  3 1/4 wide.

Photo of Joel Janzen

Joel Janzen

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Michael,
Thank you very much for the info and exactly what I am needing.

Joel
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 457 Posts
  • 171 Reply Likes
Those are the measurements for the SB2+ (WiFi) modem.  If I remember correctly, the older SB2 (non WiFi) modem was just a little larger.