Modem resets every 2 hours

• Idea
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Not Planned
Modem resets randomly even on priority data ( 6:24 pm last reset ) 
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
  • Hungry

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

I'd look at stats: http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus

and monitor temperature.  Pwr supply and modem should be ventilated well with no heat sources around them.  SB2 black modem and pwr supply has been trouble free...well designed, but there will be exceptions.

With pwr supply off, one could check fittings, from modem to TRIA, by unscrewing, pull out, reinsert, and tighten down.

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Ok cool thanks jab ill check that out , My sim card will finally be here in a few days atleast and i got my hotspot in , Really hoping this works so i can get off viasat finally , Your probably right about the heat thing , i had the heater on forgot to turn it off upstairs and it was like 72 today or so , supposed to rain for over a week nonstop though 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Yep, need a pinch more heat in Bama with cold showers, just like they do in SFO with snowfall. The Pineapple Express from Hawaii is bringing rain, flooding, rock and mud slides, snow, and even a blizzard warning in California.

I'll be evaluating the Jetpack, while retaining the $50.00/month Exede plan.  I may kept both.  If AT&T does not work, or whatever, drop by. Cheers....
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Yep its pouring rain here my net keeps going in and out , my sim card is supposed to get here today , if that works out ill let u know what i get speed wise with it , its supposed to rain for the next week straight everyday , i just hope theres no more tornadoes again like there was a few years ago here
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Tornados are possible in your area.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1930 Posts
  • 1190 Reply Likes
Tornadoes...yuck.  I'm glad I live in an area that rarely sees them. 

One hit a building I was in when I was living and working in Manassas, VA in the mid/late 90s.  And it was a metal building, full of sheet metal fittings.  Not nice stuff to be flying around.  It only side swiped us, luckily, but it trashed some parts of a business behind us and tore our back wall out of its foundation.  It was loud and scary, to say the least.     
Photo of Bob Lexus

Bob Lexus

• 250 Posts
  • 86 Reply Likes
Try being out on the hiway in the panhandle of Texas when a tornado comes thru.

Driving west, east of Amarillo when I could see the sky ahead had an unreal shade of green and there was NO oncoming traffic on I-40.
I was thinkin this doesn't look good, am I nothin but tornado bait?

My truck was seriously rocking, all kinds of stuff flying past me in the ditch I was trying to hide in - wind wasn't howling, it was screaming

Most scared I ever been, if it had of got any worse I probably would have needed to change my shorts...
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1930 Posts
  • 1190 Reply Likes
Um...no thanks.  I'll stick with my snow up here in Western NY.  LOL. 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Ah yes, I can see the problem now: US Wind Speed Map

On Windows, press CTRL down, and rotate mouse wheel
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1930 Posts
  • 1190 Reply Likes
On Windows, press CTRL down, and rotate mouse wheel
To do what? 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Expand map...enlarge
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1930 Posts
  • 1190 Reply Likes
Ahh.  You can also click on the map to zoom in.   
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Then, how to downsize after clicking on map?
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1930 Posts
  • 1190 Reply Likes
On the left there's an Unzoom button.  It's only there after you zoom in.  
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2379 Posts
  • 462 Reply Likes
Hi Gwen,  Has your modem issue resolved itself?  If not, call Customer Care for troubleshooting.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@diana seems to be now thanks : ) , @everyone else , If i  turn built in wifi on a hotspot off and plug it into the internet port on my router will that also give internet to ethernet connected devices on the router?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Gwen....Quick scan suggests tethered/WiFi (pg17) only...
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
if i plug it into my router will it extend wifi ? if so i guess i can just get a wireless adapter ?
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Gwen...page 11...LAN/WAN port....hook Ethernet cable into Nighthawk, and insert other end into router's WAN port

Do not tether...use charger to charge Nighthawk

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Sure wish you was my neighbor , i could use the help with all this in rl lol 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Gwen...can you follow these instructions?  "The only way I was able to get this to work is to do the below."

You will first have to hook a computer up to Nighthawk...so desktop to Nighthawk are  hooked together via Ethernet cable...OK?

I'm still scanning info
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
I'll be retiring for the night...there were more pages to be read there...this is new to me, but I understand what is being said...at least three more pages to read.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
yea thanks i have a ethernet running to it now from  pc , just havent hooked it to router or anything yet
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
np thanks for the help jab , ima get ready for sum sleep to , hopefully talk to you tomorow though :)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Gwen, bookmark this URL  If needed, a message can be sent to me.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
What does any of this have to do with a modem resetting every 2 hours????
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Don't know but it seems to be a result of a lot of hot air blowing out of the beam 163 region:

http://hint.fm/wind/

Not that there's anything wrong with that and I'm always interested in petroliana.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
The weather is crazy today!

Blizzard up north, ice storm in the plains, and severe storms in the south (down towards Gwen).

That is one thing about a mifi device, as long as the house is intact, the wind wont blow it away. Now the wireless tower is a different story.

Back to tractor pics.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3092 Posts
  • 1983 Reply Likes
I wish that all this VZ hotspot/jetpak/nighthawk conversation would get transferred to another forum intended for this wireless tower conversations. This forum is for Viasat internet.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 59 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes
@steve
If those off topic posts should stop, then all off topic posts should stop. Including Hughesnet, movies, investing, as well as others. That's the only fair way.

People have friendly conversations about various topics on forum type sites. I never understood why people simply aren't capable of not reading something they don't like, knowing others are interested and having civil conversation, and not only that, but p. and moan about it publicly. Why not let the moderators decide? Groups with similar interests or situations can talk together instead of a different area where people have other interests, never been around satellite. And that's the reason most reputable forums have an off topic section. People should also be aware of any options they might have if choosing this service.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1829 Posts
  • 1142 Reply Likes
aabbcc,

This is the ViaSat Support Community.  The issue is the discussion of competitors, not necessarily off topic discussions, which happens a lot on here.  There is a difference.

Or, I should say, I believe that's the main issue behind Steve's comment.    
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Back to tractor pics.

Yeah that's what I'm talking about! Get a load of the front end loader on that one!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

I made a post  on this topic: WAN: Netgear Nighthawk:MR1100, If further questions, pls post to this forum as a member or anonymous, or send a message there to me, or here.

@Steve

Statistically, most all rural folks are aware of broadband options.  We know cellular access is an option, where decent reception is possible; but since enough rural towers don't exist, satellite providers will not experience a stampede to cellular.  In my situation, I see the VZW Jetpack as an addition to sat currently, but I had to fork over $400.00 for a signal booster to make it so.

I think that satellite providers would prefer those without options.  Both sat providers attempted to signup slow speed DSL users in towns/cities, but I believe this failed when users learned the hard way about the data bucket limit. 

I might add that with Viasat's variable beam-by-beam pricing of plans, as opposed to a national fixed pricing per plan, when people see $100-$200/monthly price in their beam, those without the means will be looking for another option.  Needless to say, people with Smartphones are aware of cellular option(s), if they get a signal at home.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Steve is a VIASAT homer for whatever a reason, which has never been explained. He seems to blame any negative interaction with VIASAT on the customer of VIASAT and not VIASAT itself. Really strange that a company with such negative recent press would have anyone siding with them that was not an employee or shareholder.
I would think anyone on a magic beam would not be so out of touch with reality to think their results are typical.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
So speaking if shareholders and stakeholders, the earnings call is at 5pmEST. Stay tuned!
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab thanks checking it out now
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab thanks checking it out now
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Double posting due to adverse weather!
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
oops lol the rain here messes me up , If i attach a ethernet cable to a hotspot will it turn off the built in wifi and only use ethernet  or both still ?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

When Nighthawk is hooked directly to a desktop/laptop computer, then in browser type in http://192.168.1.1 and see page 18, 51.   I suggest downloading manual here.

There are menu items to select on...I think this might be the direction to head

SETTINGS > Setup > Wireless.

FWIW - I would not use a wireless connection...a direct connection works best. Here is a WiFi upload test when hooked to my ASUS router below.  When hooked to MiFi, its much better, but 1/2 speed....note I have two WiFi units running, so this might be an issue:
https://testmy.net/Vu1UFA4dL.png

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab , thanks i think i can fix it now , hope so  ill try again in the morning and let you know how it goes
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab , is it possible to use two hotspots in seperate rooms if theyre both connected via ethernet to diff pcs 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

One would have to be on 2.4Ghz, and the other on 5Ghz...in config menu, should be options to set...I've never seen these devices..
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

A single router?  Or two routers....one router, one hotspot

I need to see a diagram...
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen  If no routers are involved...one hotspot connected directly (ethernet) to one computer, and another hotspot connected directly (ethernet) to another computer, then no issue.  If using WiFi, then one should broadcast on 2.4Ghz, and the other on 5Ghz
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab thanks just making sure , also i changed the default gateway ip on my hotspot from 19216811 to 1921681.2 and now it says to many redirects and wont let me into the menu , no reset button on device that i see , any way i can get back into the menu ?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

Instructions here....if further questions/etc., make an anonymous post there...PLS
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab thanks i appreciate the help , i overlooked it that
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

Yer Welcome....changing gateway IP is not normally done, unless a router is involved...only purpose when a router is involved is to be able to access hotspot's menu stuff.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
thats what i was trying to do , but i kept getting a error * To many redirects* after i changed it to the last number a 2 instead of a 1 lol , i appreciate the help , i overlooked the reset button , im trying to post to the other site , doesnt seem to be showing up on my end after i post 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

Over there, you might refresh the page....check message...upper left corner
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
I see the factory reset button now i overlooked thanks , now i just have to find a way to get it to work with my router or buy a new router all together so i can use wifi and ethernet same time 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

Try finding my message over there...top left of page after logged in.  Existing router can be used...but it has to be configured.  How are speeds?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

There is a way to use Internet connection Sharing (ICS), but...one computer would have to remain on.

There might be a way to use a TP-Link 5 Port Gigabit Ethernet Network Switch, but I would have to bone up on this topic.  In essence, this would be used for hooking up router, your desktop, and your hotspot on this switch.

So, how are your speeds?
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
im back sry , was gone allday i took the hotspot and my router in to a pc repair shop and he set it up for me , Speeds are great so far ,i gave this hotspot to my bro so he can have his own , hes able to watch 1080 p youtube videos with no buffering now hes connected with a 3 foot ethernet cable to it   , hes getting 1 bar of service but rly good speeds , i was about to order a second one for me i put the munie in the bank earlier today ill order it tomorow morning hopefully have mine in and set up by saturday or so , im getting  a second one so we didnt have to share internet and i will share mine with my parents thru the router the guy fixed for us  , he charged me 60 bucks for fixing it told me it was hard and took him allday lol 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Sounds like you are on your way to moving on from satellite internet. Keep us posted.

BTW, I am in Memphis at the end of the month. I will wave when I fly by on my flight from BWI. Lol
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

Whatever...you say-:)....gratis service is much cheaper...really...and informative.  Setup is not difficult...AppFarmer could have chimed in, and provided a step-by-step at DSL's AT&T Wireless Forum.   Time to listen to one of Freddy Fender's tunes.
Cheers
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab Guy told me my router was ancient is why he had so much trouble with it lol  thanks for the link ill check it out , i listen to alot of bluegrass the older stuff 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Sirius XM. Classic Rewind. What more does one need.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Lol yea , Im watching twilight zone reruns atm 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
So have you ever been to Memphis? I know BBQ and fried chicken. Lol.

Oh, and I have seen the movie The Firm :)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

Ya do listen to old Bluegrass...Sure ya do...well now...here's the real show.

Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

At DSL forum, a member called  SysOp, indicated

• I went to 192.168.1.1, Administration Menu, Firmware Update. Firmware as of Feb11th2019 is NTG9X50C_12.05.05.00 to update the firmware just put the button "check for updates"
  • The old firmware didn't support Pass Through. You would only need this if you want to use a 2nd router for port forwarding. Otherwise it's just plug and play.
  • Make sure to turn off UPnP unless you fully understand it, it was on by default.

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab , thanks im waiting on my second hotspot now , the guy at the computer shop said it would be plug and play if my router wasnt 8  yrs lol , i might just buy another one off amazon 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

eBay Gwen...I bought two used routers recently, and sold one to a person who needed one, and without the means to buy a new one...at same price I paid....$13.00 if it works for her...3 weeks test period.

The other router is only used to charge 6620L's battery on its USB port...not tethered.  As a bonus, it keeps the 6620L from falling asleep...always on:-)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
i got my second hotspot in today , works great , loving the speeds so far everything is instant and downloads are fast 99 mb in 1 min and watching youtube in 1080 p with 63 ms , i have my own im sharing my wifi with my parents until i get a new router in sharing the hotspot wifi with them and my bro has his own direct connected ethernet , so much better than viasat , it only slows down for a couple hours at night during peak times then by 9-10 pm its usually back to full speed most of the day it stays really fast , just got min in today liking it alot tho so far 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

Can't say much about AT&T, but last I read, June 25, 2018 - AT&T Rolling Out “Unlimited” Mobile Hotspot Tracking and High-Speed Cap Enforcement, it suggests then AT&T would drop the hammer.  Article suggested logging into AT&T Website, and checking it out.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
oh well ill keep viasat for backup just in case and a verizon hotspot for plan b and plan c move in the city limits near my cousin and just get cable plan d just use the libraries internet its free and fast or starbucks 
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

AT&T may have reversed course since then...hearsay suggests VZW want's its system "tested."  With 5G starting to roll out, it will consume even more bandwidth.

With traffic shaping equipment today, any wireless company can clamp down on say unlimited users when congestion happens.

YMMV...I'm on a rural tower that apparently few people use...consistent 30Mbps DL, 3Mbps UL speeds.  People within this tower's broadcast area have the option of fiber to the home, so I suspect most of them have fiber broadband.

Oh, plan A, Santa Cruz Fiber, just got to win the Loto:-)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

This post may be of interest, and his cite to AT&T also
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Gwen

AT&T appears to kickin light throttling with reduced speeds of 2 to 3Mbps around 100GB with Enterprise plan.

There are bandwidth usage meters available...I use NetWorx,  I got it when it was a freeware, and sent them $10.00, but now it cost $25.00.  It can be setup to read data usage off of a router....but there are routers available that can do this.