Modem Fee?

• Question
  • Updated 3 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

How long do we have to pay the modem fee 2 years? You would think after awhile they would no longer charge you for it! Also Exede should have a protection plan maybe pay $7 a month and if something happens with your service they will come out and fix it and replace what needs to be replaced free of charge! The way I understand it now if something happens your SOL and Have to pay someone to come out and fix what needs to be fixed or pay to have your modem replaced if it goes bad, Etc.. Etc. Etc.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of James Morris

James Morris

• 36 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
I would be in interested in some form of protection plan myself.  I have it for DirecTV, never used it, but it is nice to know it is there.
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2780 Posts
  • 1751 Reply Likes
The modem rental fee will be charged as long as you retain the service.
Photo of Dave

Dave

• 116 Posts
  • 20 Reply Likes
Hello Steve
I have been paying for over two years now. So thats about $260.00 that I feel should be plenty for this modem. I feel after 2 years the fee should be dropped, and you should have to send the modem back as you do now. $200.00+ it way too much to pay for a simple tx/rx modem. In fact I am very tired of paying $120.00 dollars a month and some of that is modem rental...I have NO other choice here where I am out of town beyond any other systems. Hell I barely even have a phone here and cell phone, forget it. No towers for 7-8 miles. Any way just how I feel about it..
(Edited)
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Technically you would have to pay for 4 yrs for them to recover the $200 install that they don't charge you for.
(Edited)
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
James I have it for dish network and Have used it a few times! And Steve that sucks you would think that after 2 years you would have payed enough to buy it and they shouldnt charge you especially if there stuff tears up and you have to pay to get it fixed
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
mferner, there are certain circumstances that warrant waiving the fee for equipment replacements. Also, if you want, I can add an adjustment to your account to take care of this charge for the next 12 months of your contract.
Photo of Steve Frederick

• 2780 Posts
  • 1751 Reply Likes
I have to pay rental on both my DirecTV receivers, long after the 2 year contract was fulfilled. It is what it is, if you are opposed to the rental fee, then you do have a choice, although it would require you to give up with Exede service, and go to the competition, who by the way, also charged an equipment rental fee. I know, they offer a service agreement, for a healthy monthly fee.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Kimberly, No I cant pay for a whole year right now Dont have the money! I was just asking if the modem fee keeps going on and on! and it looks like it does so it is what it is!
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
The adjustment runs for 12 months of your current contract term., whether you have 4 months left or 24 months left.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Kim Please send me a FB Msg,
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
My messenger is having trouble connecting. If you can, please go ahead and send in an email instead.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Ok Kim It's sent
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
And steve I have no choice because Exede is the Best over any other satelite company! and the other option is dial up I live in the woods and its either Sateillite or dial up!
Photo of Steve Frederick

• 2774 Posts
  • 1749 Reply Likes
I understand your choice for Exede. I have the same choices where I live, except for dial up, since the copper lines out here are too noisy to do dial up. It is one of the choices we make to live in the quiet country setting. Exede is the best choice.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Yep
Photo of Alex

Alex, Viasat Corporate Communications

• 671 Posts
  • 295 Reply Likes
A protection plan is a great idea and one we have under consideration for the future.
Photo of Danielbo

Danielbo

• 154 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
Thats a good idea, try to get some more money from us. Who owns the equipment? Us or Exede? I wouldnt pay exede for a contract for something I dont even own. Its exedes equipment and so they should be taking care of it.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
This is a wonderful suggestion Daniel. As Alex stated above, this idea is under consideration.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
Good deal Alex
Photo of Danielbo

Danielbo

• 154 Posts
  • 78 Reply Likes
I say about the protection plan, its there stuff and they will tell you. You are just renting it, so if any thing should go wrong its there equipment to fix. Direct TV tried to stick me with that and i asked them who does the equipment belong to and they said them. I said since you own it and I am renting it, then I shouldnt have to pay for it. The rep said that is true, it was just a good thing when you use to keep the equipment. So I am not paying for a service plan on something I am renting. I have rental properties, I know what my renters would tell me if i asked them if they would want to buy a service contract. "this is why we rent so we do not have to worry about stuff". As long as I am paying $7.00 a month for $99.00  modem and never own, why would you want to add to it and pay for a unnecessary service plan. Are you not paying enough now?
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 249 Posts
  • 53 Reply Likes
I agree Daniel, If you cancel the service you have to sent the modem and the tria back to them! so If something happens to it while your using it they should come out and fix it for free because its there stuff you are just renting it!
Photo of RickyP033

RickyP033

• 101 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I agree paying $10+/month for a modem that 1.) isn't wireless and doesn't have at least 4 access points (hub) is ridiculous. And now, they don't come out and replace it either ????
Under normal use it should be replaced/repaired for free. !!!!!
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Gotta agree with you Ricky, on that one.  If my DirecTV rented receiver dies, I get a new one at no cost. Different company, different business model and of course replacing a DirecTV receiver doesn't require a service call.  On the plus side, I've never had a Wildblue/Exede modem fail in +9 years of use.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 541 Posts
  • 385 Reply Likes
My Wildblue modem failed after six years.

It was hit by lightning. :-)
Photo of Exede Beau

Exede Beau

• 380 Posts
  • 74 Reply Likes
Ricky, we replace the modem for free if it stops working through no fault of yours. The service call is what there would be a charge for, but depending on the circumstances that too can be discounted or waived.
Photo of Sharon Asencio

Sharon Asencio

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
why do I have to rent a modem can I just use the one I already own?
Photo of Knight Rider

Knight Rider

• 957 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Nope not unless its a surfbeam2 modem you have no choice but to rent theirs

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.