Mobil app problem

• Problem
  • Updated 1 month ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
When on Mobil app on home page it says so many connected devices and when I press manage wi-fi it says o connected devices and I I have devices on. Anyone else having this problem and is there a fix. Have contacted Viasat and they say app problem. I guess if is working right you can tell what is using most your data. I go thru 5GB a day and there are only two of us and we are not watching any movies. Seems like a lot.
Photo of Jim Irgens

Jim Irgens

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 652 Posts
  • 245 Reply Likes
Are you connecting directly to the VS modem/router or to a router that is connected to the VS modem/router?  Also, Smart home devices can go thru a LOT of data, if they are connected to the internet!
Photo of Jim Irgens

Jim Irgens

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am connected to the modem/router The only smart home device I have is the TV and it is off most of the day not watching netflex either. I do have a camera outside that uses Wi-fi but only when it comes on after motion.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2409 Posts
  • 474 Reply Likes
Hello Jim,  Please give Customer Care a call at 855.463.9333.   The will work with you to resolve your issue. 
Photo of Jim Irgens

Jim Irgens

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I already called they said there might be something wrong with app they where going to check out. Probably won’t here back until next week hopefully.
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2409 Posts
  • 474 Reply Likes
JIm,  Please verify what app you downloaded?  
Photo of Diana

Diana, Viasat Employee

• 2409 Posts
  • 474 Reply Likes
Jim,  please check your mobile app again.  There was an issue and it has been resolved.
Photo of Jim Irgens

Jim Irgens

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I tried my app again and it still says o connected devices.  and it says no devises are signed into your wi-fi. I have my iPhone connected and my computer is connected so far. it says I have 18 connected devices on top. Not sure why it says that I don't have that many. I even uninstalled app and installed again.
Photo of Jim Irgens

Jim Irgens

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I downloaded Viasat internet utilities
Photo of Jim Irgens

Jim Irgens

• 9 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Tried app today and it is working fine they said they would look into it, they had to fix something. Thanks Jim
Photo of James

James

• 18 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Jim, when you scroll and scroll and scroll through facebook and twitter and even this forum. It will use excessive data, that goes double if you refresh to see that precious comment you left. All text, photos, app usage, *.gifs, *.webms, *.mp4s, *.mpegs, etc, use data. Even emojis. When you couple that with automatic/live updates/notifications than 5GB across 2 smartphones in 1 day is normal. Remember, every time you flick your thumb on social media you're using data. Even if you don't hit play on your cousins web video, it still takes data to show you it is there to view. In my experience the biggest data consuming scams are social media and anything streaming with advertisements (Youtube will pre-buffer indefinitely, cut to advertisement, then start buffering where advertisement started) That is to say that you may watch 3 minutes of video, that's buffered 10 minutes worth, but it cuts to add and starts buffering back near the 3 minute mark. You will have consumed 7 minutes worth of video data TWICE! Ridiculous i know, but not viasat or your fault. Ya just gotta pay attention to everything you're doing if you wish to optimize your plan.