Slow speeds

• Problem
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Solved
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: old

When I signed up for excede with my local installer they claimed that the 12m service with a 10g data limit would allow me to watch as much as 40hrs of video a week! They also claimed that while the speed was advertised at 12m download most people were actually seeing close to 17 and if in the highly unlikely event you hit your data limit it would only cut you back to 6-7mps speeds.

The reality is that I have pinged my service many times through many different test sites and have never seen more then about 7mps download speeds. I tried to test it last night and the service was slow enough that after waiting 15 minutes on the test the page timed out on me.

Additionally I hit my 10g limit regularly and all I use my internet for is browsing! No video, no gaming, no music downloads, no system updates, no streaming music. Literally just browsing! Which after researching online I realize how wild the installers claims were. However I still don't feel that there's any way in the world I could use 10 gig a month browsing the internet a couple hours a day at most.

I've never thought the installers were any help at all. I did call customer service the other evening and had a excellent experience there, unfortunately I did not think to get the woman's name but she handled the situation very well!

At this point after months of trying to learn "how" to use my internet I still have to tip toe with it for fear of running out of data. Maybe this is normal but after what I was told by the installers it leaves a very sour taste. I'm not getting what I was told that I would.
Photo of Nic

Nic

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Nic,

I apologize for any misinformation you may have received.  I'm not sure if I spoke with you earlier about your usage categories.  If not, please send me an email to exedelistens@viasat.com with your account and contact information.  I can view your modem status and check for any red values that need to be addressed.  I hope that we can provide you with some usage tips that will help you maximize and enjoy your internet experience.
Photo of Nic

Nic

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I haven't spoken with anyone other then a few days ago when I called customer service. I'll send an email now. Thanks. Nic.
Photo of Shawn Snyder

Shawn Snyder

• 7 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
The speeds you get when over cap will be nowhere near 5-6 mbps. maybe 50 kb/s, but not mbps.

Also, if watching HD videos, you'll be lucky to get 6 hours on the 10 GB plan.
Photo of Higher Optix

Higher Optix

• 1 Post
  • 1 Reply Like
I think you should resolve your issues here in the forum and just use email when you need to transfer sensitive info between each other. I would like to have the Exede Reps out in the open alot more when they handle complaints so that we can all see what we should expect when we have our own issues to bring to the forums. 
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
the problem is exede employees will need a person's account info to access the account and look at problems...this is confidential of course.  I did make a suggestion at one point that people who contact exede thru this forum be asked if it would be ok for the employee to come back to the forum to report how the problem was rectified.   I suspect that in the majority of the cases where data usage is the problem, it turns out to be the many things that can be going on unobtrusively on the exede customer's system that they aren't aware of, but can't know for sure if we don't know what happens in the end.  But sometimes it can be a long process of learning how to look for the elements that may be using up your data.  a couple of people have written excellent info about this recently on this forum....kind of a "how to" to look for and eliminate certain data usage activities you might not know about at first.
Photo of ExedeKarmin

ExedeKarmin

• 384 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Nic,

I'm glad we were able to come together and get your data usage concerns addressed.  It was a pleasure working with you.  If you have any other questions or concerns, please feel free to send another email to exedelistens@viasat.com.  Have a great day!
Photo of Denise SPOTILA

Denise SPOTILA

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
This service is so slow it is ridiculous. All weekend we have not been able to use the computer. It is always way below what they promised and much worse now. Very expensive dial up speeds.

Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello Denise, I never did receive that email from you but I'd still like to help with these speed issues you are having. Please try sending a new email to exedelistens@viasat.com and wildbluelistens@viasat.com. I sent an email to the two addresses you provided but never heard back. Is there another one that works for you?
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Denise,
Was this test done on a cell phone? I noticed that the ping is 18ms. Normal ping for satellite service is more in the range of 700 - 800 ms. Good cable internet would be 40 to 60 ms.

What do you see when you enter this in your broswer: http://192.168.100.1/?page=modemStatus

Do you have any red marks on this page: http://192.168.100.1/?page=TRIAStatus

I'm just checking to see why your speeds are so slow. Provide a little more detail and forum members can help you resolve the issue.

How long have you had the Exede service? What speeds where you getting before? Is you satellite dish OK, No knocks or bumps?

Does you computer seem to run OK while your not connected to the internet? Have you changed any other setting or equipment upgrades?

Also if you email Kimberly at the address above, they will look into your connection and provide additional help.

Let us know and I'm sure someone can help you get it fixed.
Everett
Photo of Denise SPOTILA

Denise SPOTILA

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

no cell was used to take picture.   

Also I have sent 15 emails and they say they never received them....most likely because service is so poor.???   or they flat out  lie while reading from a script. There is no  way I use all my data, I can watch 6 hours of TV shows and browse using my cell data and never go over 1gig really???????   No one has ever answered my email.

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Denise - Posting the links for the Modem/TRIA status does not do what you intended.  It shows the status of the viewers equipment, not yours.  You would need to post a screen capture, but if you do it is advisable to blank out your modem MAC address. 
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3153 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
You may have gone over your data allotment for the month and are DAP'd.. What does look suspicious is the 18 ms ping, with satellite is should be around 730 ms or so.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
I tried that web site and it gave me a 33 ms ping time, so we know that is hokey.

• 3153 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
Yes JEP, something hokey about that site for sure. I just checked myy connection, they gave me a 6.16 Mbps download with a 0 ping. Testmynet.com gave me download of 20.6 Mbps, which is my normal speed, Speedtest.net gave me 19.89 Mbps with a 717 ms ping. The only ones I will trust are the Testmynet.com and Speedtest.net
Photo of A. Everett Neuman

A. Everett Neuman

• 430 Posts
  • 303 Reply Likes
Hi Steve,
I think that should be "testmy.net" I use them too.

• 3153 Posts
  • 2030 Reply Likes
Everett, you are correct, I did mess up the address. It is tough to an aging geek.
Photo of Denise SPOTILA

Denise SPOTILA

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I can not even load all the comments here.....
Photo of Ken Roberts

Ken Roberts

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have reported the same problem to Exede more than once and so far they cannot find a reason for the slow speeds. I have been running tests periodically on Testmy.net. It said the average was over 10Mbps but I think that is misleading when you actually look at the test speeds. There are some that are fast but most are under 10 and even under 5. And there is no way even IF I could watch what I want streamed, I would quickly max out my 25GB plan, stress on the IF because I am less and less able to with the connection speed.

I want this resolved or I want out of my contract. Below are some test results from Testmy.net:

Mon Oct 19 2015 @ 8:38:52 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 2.2 MB 2.77 Mbps 346 kB/s Viasat history l0uUm9CX1 share history
Mon Oct 19 2015 @ 8:38:25 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 6.2 MB 4.66 Mbps 583 kB/s Viasat history ds_6OFf2m share history
Sun Oct 18 2015 @ 8:50:36 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 2.4 MB 3.09 Mbps 386 kB/s Viasat history ZreSlNkRa share history
Sun Oct 18 2015 @ 8:50:14 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 18.1 MB 10.14 Mbps 1.27 MB/s Viasat history 4sIqUVxcX share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 9:48:04 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 2.3 MB 2.72 Mbps 340 kB/s Viasat history ds5JmVNBH share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 9:47:37 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 6.3 MB 5.8 Mbps 725 kB/s Viasat history 09FaHu3Sg share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 9:33:00 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 2.8 MB 3.07 Mbps 384 kB/s Viasat history v3QgTIlne share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 9:32:32 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 6.3 MB 6.99 Mbps 873 kB/s Viasat history 34DdZJep7 share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 9:18:13 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 2.4 MB 3 Mbps 375 kB/s Viasat history tu9LkR28M share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 9:17:48 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 16.4 MB 7.65 Mbps 956 kB/s Viasat history 80lTFbjZ_ share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 9:03:18 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 2.3 MB 2.46 Mbps 307 kB/s Viasat history 8cIqdjT41 share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 9:02:44 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 17.6 MB 9.79 Mbps 1.22 MB/s Viasat history Iufwsb6QG share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 8:47:54 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 2.6 MB 3.18 Mbps 397 kB/s Viasat history IU9PLO4jp share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 8:47:31 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 20.5 MB 10.28 Mbps 1.28 MB/s Viasat history ~pzTnyqed share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 8:32:59 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 2.5 MB 1.69 Mbps 211 kB/s Viasat history BeXsZ1ow7 share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 8:32:30 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 15 MB 7.76 Mbps 970 kB/s Viasat history OBuyTbJAS share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 8:17:46 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 2.5 MB 2.9 Mbps 362 kB/s Viasat history iCAk4tnPZ share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 8:17:20 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 10.9 MB 10.36 Mbps 1.29 MB/s Viasat history lZ1LgGPrs share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 8:02:50 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 2.7 MB 2.98 Mbps 373 kB/s Viasat history V2nbjFMsC share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 8:02:23 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 16.8 MB 10.12 Mbps 1.26 MB/s Viasat history 0fOSHgx4L share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 7:47:41 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 2.4 MB 2.92 Mbps 365 kB/s Viasat history SIyLOKTxg share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 7:47:17 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 21.1 MB 12.43 Mbps 1.55 MB/s Viasat history CSVMthc3s share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 7:32:31 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 2 MB 2.92 Mbps 365 kB/s Viasat history HqTbO8gnh share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 7:32:09 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 28.5 MB 20.25 Mbps 2.53 MB/s Viasat history YLOiJ8Ts1 share history
Fri Oct 16 2015 @ 7:17:26 pm Dallas, TX US US arrow 2.5 MB 3.1 Mbps 388 kB/s Viasat history UyoeO8Ink share history
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Ken - Looking at your speed listings, the overhead associated with a small test size (less than 10MB for a satellite connection) does not provide a valid result for speed testing.  If you limit your test size to 15MB or more, I think your results demonstrate that you are getting good speeds.  If you include the too small speed tests, the average probably is indeed over 10MB because the smaller test size results are brought up by the good speeds of the larger test sizes. 
Also, curious what you would be switching to if you got out of your Exede contract. (?)

Also, you should start a new thread, not append to one that is 11 months old.
(Edited)
Photo of Ken Roberts

Ken Roberts

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
JEP - I will try running tests with larger sizes but bottom line is constant inability to watch streamed video like NetFlix.  I have discovered a wireless service in a nearby community and I have a direct line of sight to their tower and a co-worker who has service with them reports better service than I am getting.
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 987 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Ken - Yeah, if you can't watch Netflix without buffering that isn't right, unless you are trying to watch it prime time in a crowded beam.  I have Netflix, but only watch it during LNFZ because it chews up the data allocation pretty quickly. 
Photo of Ken Roberts

Ken Roberts

• 6 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
So bad sometimes I can't even get NetFlix up, it says try again later.  For an IT person living in the hill country SUCKS! Even more now that San Antonio is getting Google Fiber.  A friend in town now getting GB downloads!
Photo of Matt F

Matt F, Viasat Official Rep

• 114 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
Please reference the new conversation here: Slow speeds
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.