Maryland Executive Orders

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
Maryland Executive Order prohibiting termination of residential services and late fees.
Photo of William G. Lake

William G. Lake

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of William G. Lake

William G. Lake

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
This was signed into effect March 5, 2020. If you cut off any account you would be in violation this Maryland Order.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2591 Posts
  • 1609 Reply Likes
ViaSat is a signatory of the FCC's "Keep Americans Connected" pledge.  
Photo of William G. Lake

William G. Lake

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Then why was my service interrupted this month????
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3563 Posts
  • 1340 Reply Likes
William if your service was interrupted (meaning turned off, not slowed) please call us at 855-463-9333 and we'll work with you
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 852 Posts
  • 426 Reply Likes
Something tells me the knucklehead governor is overstepping his authority. This crap is getting out of hand.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2460 Posts
  • 1458 Reply Likes
Agreed. In a lot of states.
Photo of William G. Lake

William G. Lake

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I have already paid the bill the next day.  Service was shut off, but I paid the bill the next day. Someone had hacked by bank account and a new card had to be issued. I assume that may have been the problem with the payment not going through. But the service should not have been shut off.

Bill
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 852 Posts
  • 426 Reply Likes
What part of the governor of Maryland has no authority over a business based in California do you not understand? Where do these people come from?
Photo of William G. Lake

William G. Lake

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Please note that if you do business in Maryland then you need to abide with its laws/codes. All businesses that work in MD have a business licence. What is it that you do not understand?" And this was for VIASAT.  AS YOU ARE NOT THEM ,THEN KEEP OUT OF THE CONVERSATION.

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 852 Posts
  • 426 Reply Likes
You need to stop running your mouth when you do not know what you are talking about. Your knucklehead governor cannot force businesses to operate without getting paid for their services.  Business licenses are issued by cities and counties, not by states. A company only needs a business license where it has a physical presence.
Photo of William G. Lake

William G. Lake

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I actually work of the State of Maryland , and it is you that have no idea what Maryland's codes and laws are please review Maryland COMAR. Out of state business/contractors are required to possess a state business licensee, cities and counties also require separate licenses. it is you who is running at the mouth. If you do not live in this state non of this effects you. Actually none of your business!

Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 852 Posts
  • 426 Reply Likes
Send a link that shows where a business like Viasat needs a state of Maryland business license. Put up or shut up. I have a feeling you are confused. I understand being a state worker, they are some of the most inept workers on the planet. While your at it send a link where your governor can legally force Viasat to provide services for non paying customers.
Photo of William G. Lake

William G. Lake

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Please read the Governors Executive Order. Then you may be able, to but doubtfully be able to speak on the topic. You can as you think you are so smart, search COMAR for yourself.

Photo of William G. Lake

William G. Lake

• 8 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Applications for Operating Authority
Q. Is a telecommunications carrier required to obtain operating authority from the Commission before offering service to the public?
A. Yes. If a carrier provides service to the public without receiving operating authority, the carrier is subject to sanctions and penalties as provided by law, including the refund of any payments made by customers. (Maryland Public Utilities Article and Related Laws, §2-113(a)(1) 
Photo of Lighthope

Lighthope

• 44 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Is satellite internet a regulated telecom?
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 852 Posts
  • 426 Reply Likes
I figured you were stumped, why not admit you were talking out the wrong end. Maybe you should read Comar as it baffles you. It appears Maryland requires state licensing for building contractors, plumbers, electricians, etc,etc. THOSE ARE NOT STATE BUSINESS LICENSES. Those are trade licenses. That is a common practice among states but it does appear Maryland requires more of them than most. It is possible a Viasat installer could need a trade license, but they don't work for Viasat.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 852 Posts
  • 426 Reply Likes
Blah,blah,blah. I still don't see anything about a state business license. You are talking about a trade specific license and they aren't even calling it a license.

(Edited)