magic jack data usage

• Question
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Answered
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Question answered. No need for further agent response.

I have Magic Jack for my home phone, and would like to know how much data it would use on Exede for say a 1 hour phone conversation....When I signed up for EXEDE I was told that MagicJack would use up ALLOT of data, even for a 5 minute call it could use up to 15GB, and not to use it...I have no home phone now and am using my Cell which I HATE as it's Sprint and not very reliable. Does anyone know how much data Magic Jack uses if I were to use it on EXEDE? BTW, it is the regular Magic Jack, NOT Magic Jack PLUS. I am on the EXEDE 12-10 Plan.
Photo of weaver SMITH

weaver SMITH

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Hello weaver, I'm not quite sure as to how much data it uses but will do a little research and get back to you.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
weaver, while I am researching here is a link to our WildBlue World Forum where a few people have asked about Magic Jack data use. Might be helpful for you to take a look. http://www.wildblueworld.com/forum/showthread.php?5518-Voice-over-IP-with-Exede/page2
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
I have MagicJack but quite using it since I've signed up with Exede, you WILL EXCEED your 10G monthly if you us it much at all.  Like yourself, I had Sprint, dropped them, went with Verizon.  Have a MiFi which I use to supplement my 10G on here, Verizon gives me 11 a month, which unfortunately I'm forced to use that as backup often, because I'm getting horrible speeds, and 5 minute login times to school webpages.  Worse than dial-up at times :-(
Photo of Moejj O'Raisin

Moejj O'Raisin

• 21 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
addendum: I did searching around for codecs used, UDP overhead in the packets, etc.  Not as bad as I thought, but depending on how much you use your phone, like I said, it can put you over your 10G limit.  I found that for 35 minutes of talking every day each month equates to about 1G of usage on Magic Jack.  Sure checkout exede voice for ONLY another $30 a month.
Photo of Jim

Jim

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
VOIP phone will use a very insignificant amount of bandwidth. However, you should check out Exede Voice which will not count against your data usage at all.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 562 Posts
  • 399 Reply Likes
I have NetTalk and it doesn't use any noticeable amount of data even after an hour call. Considering the bandwidth (very low) of a phone call it shouldn't, either.
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Thanks for all the info guys. Very helpful not only to weaver but me as well. Thanks again.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.