Low download speed

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
My download speed early this morning was pretty good at around 40 mbps- has now dropped to less than 1 mbps. Is there something going on that would cause this
Photo of Kent Fales

Kent Fales

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • concernes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
Do you watch the news at all?
Photo of Kent Fales

Kent Fales

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks- thought this would be a useful forum; if I wanted snarky one liners from folks with that skillset I would have sought it in a different venue.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2916 Posts
  • 1540 Reply Likes
Voyager asked a very valid question.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 724 Posts
  • 318 Reply Likes
It is called congestion. Right now a lot of people would be at church away from the internet. All churches are closed around me, so I no longer have the internet to myself on Sunday morning and afternoons.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1288 Reply Likes
Voyager can be that way.

You shouldn't take offense.

I got my RDR2 and video drivers updating this morning. Time to go kill and pillage in the old west!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2916 Posts
  • 1540 Reply Likes
Yep. Most churches, small and large, are now closing doors to the public, telling congregations to stay home and are streaming a form of church service online.

I tried watching a service today and couldn’t even get the webpage to load. I would imagine it’s going to be like this for a few months.
Photo of Admiral Korbohuta

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 144 Reply Likes
Exsat, how many hours to finish the main story in RDR2? It took me around 25 hours to finish RDR1, but I've read that this one takes a hundred or more to finish.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
No extra charge for snarky. LOL.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
You have fiber and satellite and cable?

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 144 Reply Likes
Voyager, the troll is a liar and can't be trusted. The mods need to go ahead and ban this idiot again.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1288 Reply Likes
Admiral. Correct. 100 hours for main story.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 724 Posts
  • 318 Reply Likes
So Wayne it appears you now are claiming to have coaxial cable, Viasat, and fiber optic cable, all at once. We all know when most people say "cable" they mean coaxial, and when they say "fiber" they mean fiber optic. A couple days ago you said your cable was running at 30 and your Viasat was at 45. So that sure wasn't fiber optic cable you were talking about, they usually run 10x that fast or more. In this thread you mentioned having fiber.

I only know one troll frequenting this forum and that is you. Everyone else is someone with a Viasat problem, the people trying to help, or the ones trying to explain the limitations of satellite.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
Yes, Wayne/Robin tells some tall tales.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3247 Posts
  • 2093 Reply Likes
Yes, as a result of the Corona virus, most people are home as a direct result of the government's directives to stay at home. More folks streaming, working from home and the kids doing school work are stressing the internet in general, and are hitting the satellite ISPs especially had.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2916 Posts
  • 1543 Reply Likes
Some people just aren’t meant to survive the zombie apocalypse.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1293 Reply Likes
And we wonder why people have to be given additional restrictions to curtail our livelihoods when less stringent measures are not followed.
Photo of Kent Fales

Kent Fales

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Ok- thanks. Seemed strange as its been really pretty good up to this point and this has been going on for a couple weeks now. Thanks again for the input.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1288 Reply Likes
Depending on your location, things are getting worse and usage has been going on. A number of states have "closed".  This only further increases the strain on Viasat and the internet in general. 

It is going to get worse until it better.  Once some people wake up and figure the economic destruction is going to be far worse than this virus, then perhaps we can see improvement.
Photo of Kent Fales

Kent Fales

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Agreed.
Photo of Kent Fales

Kent Fales

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks again for all the input. I should have added a little more detail to my original post that I am new in the past 3 weeks to sat internet, so still trying to understand what is to be expected. I guess we are all going into somewhat uncharted territory with the goings on. Time will tell.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Did you just get satellite internet because you moved?  Curious why you selected satellite internet. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
Regardless you didn't deserve the initial reply you received to your 1st post. Had you come in here kicking, screaming, swearing, threatening lawsuits, etc. --- maybe, but you didn't do that. Some should be more tolerant of 1st time posters. You came looking for help in understanding what was going on. You have nothing to apologize for.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Agreed. I am curious though why people continue to sign up.. With everything else going on, deceptive marketing of satellite internet is one less thing that could help.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
Being as you are only on your 1st month and seeing that much of a drop off, it's likely you've exceeded your data usage threshold and are being prioritized behind others who have not. There are long time users that don't even fully grasp prioritization. During peak usage periods and heavy congestion your speeds will drop like that. Early today you probably found a lull in traffic that gave you the 40 Mbps for a while before rush hour began. If you haven't exceeded your threshold, your shouldn't be seeing that precipitous of a drop (I'd hope).

As Steve Frederick noted, peak usage periods are now more frequent for the reason mentioned.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Of course, all depends on satellite, beam, gateway, plan. And monthly usage.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
As a new subscriber and especially during these times, your goal should be to conserve as much of your priority data as possible to delay the pain when exceeding your threshold. Start by reading Viasat's basic tips:

https://corpblog.viasat.com/data-saving-tips/

Those will give some indication of things to look for but are only the tip of the iceberg. The come back for some more robust suggestions.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Just started satellite 3 weeks ago? That is like booking passage on the Titanic. You caught it right as it will start sinking to the bottom. I really think it is going to eventually get as bad as holiday season and then some and stay there for a while.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
I'm on a Liberty plan and so far it's holding up well. My speeds have been pretty good during the day and tolerable during primetime. I was able to download Doom Eternal in around 6 hours. Not bad for a 40GB file.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
That is pretty good! 

Of course students are not in online school today and most people are not working.  So that helps.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
I started the download late Friday night during the LNFZ and finished it Saturday afternoon. Was expecting Saturday to be slow but it wasn't.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
That is less than 50% of Red Dead Redemption 2. Small game:).

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
LOL. That's one of the reasons why I haven't tried the COD4 reboot. It requires a 50GB download just to play the single player campaign even if you have the disc on PS4 or Xbox. Ridiculous.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Patches to RDR2 are typically 2 or 3 GB.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
That's normal for today's standards.. From my understanding the 50GB download to play COD4 is just the regular game files and not patches. And that is in addition to the data already on the disc.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
Go to hell troll. Go back to your fiber you worthless liar.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2916 Posts
  • 1542 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and how much priority data have you used for your current billing cycle?
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Troll rips on people for downloading video games while bragging how they went 5x over their data limit constantly watching sports. I prefer to watch sports, but to each his own. Looks like I made a bad choice as there is no more sports
but plenty of video games. The only video game I play is chess.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Maybe you should adopt another game to bide your time.

Admiral Korbohuta

• 346 Posts
  • 147 Reply Likes
GTA V should do the trick. Plenty of stuff to do there.
Photo of Kent Fales

Kent Fales

• 6 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I see that I have hit my 100 gb of priority data with 13 days left til the next cycle. Probably one of my kids with movie streaming. Smh. But throttled now to ~1 mbps? What have I signed up for.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2194 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
Satellite internet.

If you stay under the cap you should be fine. Once you go over priority data, all bets are off.

For 100GB of priority you are paying a pretty penny no doubt.

What did you have before Viasat and why did you get satellite internet now?
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 658 Posts
  • 620 Reply Likes
Not throttled , deprioritized - glean through the replies above and separate the wheat from the chaff on how to adapt to the reality of satellite unless you have a better option available. Life is near normal for some of us under our data threshold. Be sure to expand all the View previous links since some of the useful suggestions have been collapsed due to the white noise, thread drift, etc. from one disruptive user.
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
You signed up for the internet of last resort which is what current satellite internet is. Maybe the LEO systems will change that, but GEO is what you get when can’t get anything else.