Looking for honest feedback from Unlimited Platinum 100 plan users

• Question
  • Updated 4 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I am a long time customer who is currently still on the Freedom 150 plan.  I am very well aware of the policy change that is currently making my internet service unusable during peak hours.  To be honest I haven't been getting the promised speeds from my system in over a year.  I normally don't go over my cap, but when I do it is when I have 1 or 2 days left before rollover.  I keep a very close eye on data usage based on prior experience with this service.  I am very apprehensive about paying close to $100 more per month for this new plan which I know will not come with any guarantees for better service than I have been getting.

What I would like to hear from current users of this plan are the following things:
1) What speeds are you actually seeing?
2) Are those speeds consistent even during peak hours?
3) If you have exceeded the 150 GB data cap, what speeds are they throttling you down to?

Thank you in advance for any feedback you can provide in helping me make my decision.
Photo of mwolfatwork

mwolfatwork

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of mwolfatwork

mwolfatwork

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Wondering if I posted this in the wrong place?
Surely there are some people out here who are on this plan.
If there is somewhere else I should have posted it, please let me know.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
You posted it ok.  I'm not a customer....  The plans also vary by location, so you might want to share what plans are available for you to switch to (viasat.com/internet, your zip).  There are no promised speeds, there's an "up to", as you know, they don't have to provide much of anything.
1) The speeds vary completely from location to location, you'd need to find someone in your exact same beam to get that answer, at least an accurate one.
2)  Same as 1, but, congestion is in a lot of beams, there are no guarantees, there would only be consistency if your area didn't have a lot of subscribers, or, a "magic" beam.  Even then, I wouldn't expect consistency long term.
3)  Also depends on your location, and varies based on the load, etc.

However, if you get off of the 150GB plan that they are trying to force everyone off of, it is possible your speed -might improve (while in the limits of the plan terms).
Photo of mwolfatwork

mwolfatwork

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the reply.  
I am on the east coast in South Carolina and currently on beam 343.
The only plan that makes sense for me at this time is the Unlimited Platinum 100 which they want $200 per month for.  This would give me the same amount of priority data I currently have, with supposed speeds up to 100 Mbps per second.  My plan is supposed to have speeds up to 25 Mbps. Of course this plan will be $80 -$100 more than what I currently pay.

They just replaced my modem after a lightning strike a couple of weeks ago.  Yesterday they moved the dish, replaced the tria and cable, due to the slow speed issue and tree growth over the last 10 years.  

Speedtest.net shows my average speed since then as 6.16 MBps coming down and 1.12 going up.  Top download speed reached was 14.09 MBps and the low was 1.50.  I am fairly certain this is the result of their actions to try forcing me off my current plan.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@mwolfatwork, I've read of some folks switching from Freedom to a Liberty plan and having their speeds restored. Others said it didn't help much. I'm one of those who decided to stay on Freedom and do the big downloads during off hours so as not to deal with throttling. Also, it's hard to give up that 150GB of data and I am not going to pay more money for less priority data. $200 a month is just plain ridiculous.
Photo of mwolfatwork

mwolfatwork

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
@fmj77
I totally agree with you that $200 per month is ridiculous just so I can keep the same amount of data.  That is the primary reason I have not switched plans yet.
However, they are making it very difficult for me with such slow speeds.

Are you experiencing speeds as low as I am at this time?

My inlaws live on 5 acres behind our 5 acres and are on the Freedom plan with a top speed of 12 Mbps.  I just asked them to run a speed test and they got 9 Mbps coming down, I ran mine and got 2.8.  This is with my laptop connected to the modem with an ethernet cable.  At least they are getting close the level of service they are supposed to.

I definitely feel discriminated against at this point.  Also, I have only used 60 GB out of my available 150 GB, and still have 16 days until rollover.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
With me it varies. Sometimes I get pretty good speeds during the day of around 5-10Mbps and other times it's much below that. I haven't noticed a consistent pattern of throttling other than I'm not throttled all the time.
Photo of mwolfatwork

mwolfatwork

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks for the info.  I also work during the weekdays, so it is more difficult for me to see if my speeds are faster at any other time.

I sent a message to viasatlistens earlier this week, but haven't received any response from them yet either.

I have to say I would be even more upset about this entire situation if I switched plans and still received these same speeds.  I was a Hughesnet customer back when they were called DirecWay, and switched to WildBlue when they offered better plans.  I stayed on the Classic plan with the late night free zone until they finally offered the Freedom 150 plan in my area.  I still find it hard to believe they choose to treat their long time customers like this in order to book new customers.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1400 Posts
  • 831 Reply Likes
Agreed. I dropped Viasat and dont regret it one bit. I wasnt going to pay more money to a company trying to force customers to spend more for less.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Think about it. It makes no sense to spend more money with a company that does not honor their word.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Think about it. It makes no sense to spend more money with a company that does not honor their word.
Photo of mwolfatwork

mwolfatwork

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I feel like I am being held hostage somewhat.  The reason I am on satellite internet is because there are no other options where I live.  When there are only 2 players in the game there really isn't much of a choice.  The fact they know this and still take advantage of us is really sad.  

You are also correct.  I signed an agreement years ago to a certain level of service and they did not honor that agreement.  This is what makes me apprehensive about switching to another plan.  At the same time I need to have internet access and it currently isn't working to the level it should be.

I am afraid paying them more money would be like pissing in the wind at this point.  I would drop this service tomorrow if another option became available to me.  I have contacted Atlantic Broadband for a site survey to see how much it would cost to run fiber to my home.  To be honest I am a bit afraid of the price they may come back with, if they get back in touch with me at all.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2152 Posts
  • 1311 Reply Likes
Not many people have the Platinum 100 plan, so that's likely why you've yet to see any replies regarding user experience with it.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2152 Posts
  • 1311 Reply Likes
Not many people have the Platinum 100 plan, so that's likely why you've yet to see any replies regarding user experience with it.  
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2152 Posts
  • 1311 Reply Likes
Oh joy!  GetSat and the wonderful double post effect rears its head again!  SMH.  
Photo of mwolfatwork

mwolfatwork

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Perhaps if not many people have it then the congestion issues will be much less; however, I am not sure I want to be the test subject at that price.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1400 Posts
  • 831 Reply Likes
I think it is a fine plan. But for north of $200/month, it better be!
Photo of mwolfatwork

mwolfatwork

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Last time I spoke with tech support and they told me I needed to switch plans, I told them if they would give me that plan for what I am paying now I would switch immediately.  It is really hard for me to justify the additional expense with no guarantee they won't make another policy change and make that plan worthless as well.

I also am afraid they will not deliver on the level of service they are stating in the new Platinum plan.  That is the reason for my original post seeking real world experiences.  If everyone had glowing reviews about the plan it might push me in that direction.  Otherwise I may just have to ride this train until something else changes like I did with the Classic plan.

They obviously have a really good legal team though because with statements like "speeds up to", "we reserve the right to make policy changes at any time", and the fact all of us who signed up for these plans before February of 2018 are no longer under contract, it seems they have us over a barrel.

Luckily for you there was an option for you to get out of this mess.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
In my zip, Viasat costs about double the competition and offers less total data (and the "up to" is also half as much).  So, it's not much of a choice.  I stick around for "hopes" of better plans for some people I know, and entertainment....
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1400 Posts
  • 831 Reply Likes
Viasat versus Highesnet comparison same in my area. Basically it is like we dont want to sell you it, but if you grossly over pay you can have it!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I'm looking forward to the LEO companies in the next few years so I can give Viasat the big middle finger.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2152 Posts
  • 1311 Reply Likes
LEO's definitely going to be a game changer.  I still don't think the plans will include truly unlimited data, as the throughput will still be restricted by the sats themselves, and still likely much less than ground based systems, but it will almost assuredly be considerably higher than with sat internet available now.  

Streaming and gaming.  Those will be the two big things.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
As long as they are an improvement, then I'll most likely switch. More data, better speeds, lower latency all sound like a better deal than what we have now.
Photo of mwolfatwork

mwolfatwork

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Believe me, if any better option comes along I will be dropping this service very quickly.
Photo of mwolfatwork

mwolfatwork

• 10 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Believe me, if any better option comes along I will be dropping this service very quickly.