Liberty Plans on Beam 320....good or bad?

• Question
  • Updated 2 years ago
I've been a customer of Exede since September 2014.  I was looking at increasing my data package and noticed that the Classic plans have disappeared and the Liberty plans are now available.  I've been doing some reading through the forums and have seen mixed feelings about the Liberty plans.  I am wondering if there is anyone in the forums that is on the liberty plan with the 320 beam. I've been happy with my service since I've had it.  I work as an IT tech and have calls that I take during the night from 9pm until 7am.  This isn't an every day occurrence or an every week occurrence that I have to take a support call, but with the Classic plan, I now that I have service during this time when I need it.  There aren't many "techies" where I am, so when I posed the question to my community, no one could really answer the question for me.  I have read where Liberty will give you speeds 1-5 mbps once you use all your priority data.  I have also read through the forums where some have switched and are getting less than the 1 mbps on the liberty pass.  I'm not certain how crowded beam 320 is.  I know that I have all my devices currently set to update during the free zone and I do most of my work during the day or from 5-10pm.  Is there anyone who can vouch for the liberty speeds on the 320 beam?  Thanks in advance.
Photo of chuckerator

chuckerator

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of JEP

JEP

• 986 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes
Chuck - I'm not in your beam, but I am in a very congested beam (329).  I was reluctant to change from Classic to the Liberty plans but having done it, I am very happy.  I am not a huge downloader, but I probably do ~25 GB per billing cycle.  With 2 computers and a laptop on Windows 10, plus tablets and phones, I relied on the LNFZ.  I have only been on Liberty 18 a couple of months, but with my baseline usage I am spending the last few days of the billing cycle on Liberty Pass.  I have been getting a solid +5 Mbps during the daylight hours on Liberty Pass, dropping to ~2-3 Mbps during primetime and then picking up again after 11 PM.  For me, it is about as good as it gets for satellite Internet.  I don't obsess over data usage and don't lose any sleep over LNFZ.  I was burnt a couple of times on LNFZ when a Windows 10 download started after midnight, stalled out and then resumed at 6 am after LNFZ was over.
Photo of chuckerator

chuckerator

• 2 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Thanks Jep.  I've read a lot of good feedback from those of you on 329.  I'm assuming that 320 isn't as congested as 329, but I'm not one to say.  I get good speeds as it is and have been leaning towards the liberty plans more, but was trying the forums out here just to see if anyone else had made the jump on 320 yet.  All in all, I've been happy with the service I have received as it has been better than the Frontier DSL that I had before.  Do you by chance stream any movies on your devices?  Thanks
Photo of JEP

JEP

• 986 Posts
  • 718 Reply Likes

Hi Chuck - I used Netflix to watch Season 4 of Longmire while on the Classic Plan during LNFZ.  I have not tried it on Liberty Pass, although there is certainly no problem watching YouTube videos on the Pass.

I find my phones each use almost 1 GB per month.