Liars

• Problem
  • Updated 1 week ago
I talked with several customer service reps and 2 satellite installers and they all assured me that on the unlimited 25 plan even when i exceed my priority data, i wouldnt notice a difference even in peak times. For the first weak this after i went over my 60gb this was the case, however, ever since then i have been reduced to literal dial-up speeds (17kbps to 300kbps). I have called numerous times to complain and their response is that during peak times i will be throttled down to around 1 to 5 mbps. i tell them that would be fine and understandable but dial up speeds is ridiculous. they run the test and see what my horrible speed is and then tell me the same line about 1-5 mbps. well duh, obviously 56kbps is not between 1 and 5 mbps. Best i can do is cancel the debit card this is on, cancel the service, never pay the bill and pull all their signs out of the ground when i see them. DO NOT GET VIASAT NO MATTER WHAT THEY TELL YOU!
Photo of John Jones II

John Jones II

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 4 weeks ago

Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 277 Posts
  • 99 Reply Likes
During peak there's not bottom level of customer service guaranteed and as you can tell not 1 to 5 mbps. Call and talk to the cancellation department if you don't like this. You may be able to get out of your contract.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2237 Posts
  • 1110 Reply Likes
Iblikevvuasat
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 346 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
John, those reps lied to you about not noticing a difference during peak times. You should have read the fine print before signing a contract.
Photo of John Jones II

John Jones II

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
 i called them 3 times and asked every question i could think of. i called satellite installers and talked to them. I checked forums for 5 hrs. My satellite installer said he had viasat and even after he used his 60gb he couldnt tell a difference during peak. I did all i could due. And there is no fine print to read. I set it up over the phone and the sat installer left me nothing and I signed nothing.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3462 Posts
  • 2008 Reply Likes
Did you ask this question on here?
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 346 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
The fine print does state that when you are out of priority data that your speed may be slowed during times of congestion. That's sounds pretty clear to me. 
Photo of John Jones II

John Jones II

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Do you feel that it is necessary and decent for them to slow it to dial up speeds? Does this happen to you too? And again, there was no print of any kind.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 346 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
It sucks that speeds slow down to such an extent, but I believe a lot of that is due to the limitations of the technology. I have never gone over my priority data either when I had Classic 10 or within the last year when I've had the Freedom Plan and yet my speeds sometimes slow to less than 1Mbps during primetime on my beam.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 3882 Posts
  • 3956 Reply Likes
Do you feel that it is necessary and decent for them to slow it to dial up speeds? Does this happen to you too? And again, there was no print of any kind.

Yes it's necessary, happens to all of us and none of us like it - but is the nature of an overburdened shared resource during peak usage periods (i.e. the satellite itself).

There's plenty of legal print that covers the subject in great depth beyond simply the fine print in ads as well as the customer agreement. In particular see the Unlimited Data Policy as well as the Network Management Policy over at:

https://www.exede.com/legal/  

When you haven't exceeded your priority data (data usage threshold) you suffer the same normal congestion problems during peak usage periods that everyone else does on your beam who hasn't exceeded their threshold.

When you do exceed your data usage threshold your requests are serviced after those of others who have not exceeded their usage threshold resulting in even slower speeds. Do you think it would be fair for your requests to be service before the requests of others who have not exceeded their data usage thresholds? In my mind that would be unfair to those who work hard at staying under their data usage thresholds, priority data limits or hard data caps. 

What's indecent is that sales, marketing and apparently some installers cannot be transparent about all of this and point out those legal documents including the customer agreement prior to the sale. It really doesn't matter whether you signed anything or not; once you exchange money for the service, it's assumed you are aware of the terms of an agreement. If you didn't review those legal documents prior to the sale, you didn't really perform any due diligence.

Sales, marketing and some installers won't tell you about those documents... I just did. 

Not condoning it buy learned long ago that we aren't living in the 1950s any more where personal words were a bond. 
(Edited)
Photo of John Jones II

John Jones II

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I appreciate the documents, wish i had those beforehand. As for the overburdened satellite, i cant fault that. tech is what it is, What i CAN fault is them telling me over and over that i would be on the unburdened viasat 2 and that it isnt remotely near capacity and thus for the next few years i could expect near full speed if not over speed even after my priority is past. And yes, that is near verbatim.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3462 Posts
  • 2008 Reply Likes
You are on Viasat-2 I take it? It has been known to have one or two or three issues.
Photo of yourguytim

yourguytim

• 139 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
No not necessary.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2237 Posts
  • 1110 Reply Likes
Never ever drunk mire than q vittk3 or vodka in Vietnam. Hey baby.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 969 Posts
  • 596 Reply Likes
Um....Stephen?  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2237 Posts
  • 1110 Reply Likes
Photo of Hfcomms

Hfcomms

• 103 Posts
  • 142 Reply Likes
You probably should of done some due diligence before you signed up for it.  After all I'm sure your not going to enter any other type of a two year contract without reading the fine print...at least I wouldn't.

Your speeds are never guaranteed and any given gateway can only process so much traffic at any given point in time.  It's like the water pipe coming into your house.  Open up all the faucets and your only going to get a trickle. 

Your experiences are not what everyone else is seeing.  On my gateway it will get slow during prime time when everybody wants to be on and I won't be able to stream video and I might not even be able to stream an audio podcast.  Fine...it is what it is.  Until a more superior technology is available in rural areas I'll confine my major bandwidth operations to non-peak times or use a download manager.

Overall I'm well satisfied with the service and most of the time I can do what I want with no problems at all.  Good luck getting out of a contract as one way or another your going to pay as no corporation has an extensive legal department paying expensive lawyers who don't know what they are doing.

But before you go that route and play a game you won't win work within the system and file your complaints to see if perhaps you got a sub standard install or something else that is slowing you down more than others. 
Photo of John Jones II

John Jones II

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I did due diligence. i called them 3 times and asked every question i could think of. i called satellite installers and talked to them. I checked forums for 5 hrs. My satellite installer said he had viasat and even after he used his 60gb he couldnt tell a difference during peak. I did all i could due. And there is no fine print to read. I set it up over the phone and the sat installer left me nothing and I signed nothing.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 346 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
Possible that Stephen got hold of some vodka tainted with antifreeze.
Photo of Dio Brando

Dio Brando

• 26 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
What speedtest are you running? I've found sourceforge to be most accurate on Viasat network.

Ookla is owned by xfinity.
Photo of John Jones II

John Jones II

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
at the slow times i cant even run a speedtest. All the sites say latency error and wont run the test.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3460 Posts
  • 2007 Reply Likes
Try run running testmy.net to do a speed test.
Photo of John Jones II

John Jones II

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I have run tests. i have called tech support and they have run test. During peak times, when im out of priority data, my speed drops to 300kbps and below. usually its in the double digits and ive seen it as low as 5.6kbps. Sunday around 830pm it dropped so low that my computer had the yellow triangle on the network icon bc it couldnt even detect a signal. This is absurd and should not be happening. There is no reason for them to need to throttle it down that much. I just got my DSL service back and now will begin the fight to get out of the contract i never actually signed.
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 544 Posts
  • 389 Reply Likes
I'm curious why you got satellite internet if you had access to DSL?
Photo of John Jones II

John Jones II

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Bc the max speed they can provide is 4mbps, yet i pay for 6mbps. Also, i pay 120 a month for that 4mbps and anytime we have a storm or a lot of rain it goes out bc the lines suck. the customer service is horrible and the speed still slows to a crawl on weekends due to how much of the county is on a given line. It goes out randomly, the modems reset themselves every time the power blinks, and getting a tech to come out and actually do anything is a 2 week long nightmare.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 345 Posts
  • 193 Reply Likes
Sounds like your DSL option is nearly as bad as Viasat. Still, you shouldn't be experiencing so much slowdown on Viasat 2. Have you had a service tech come to your home and make sure your equipment is set up properly and working as it should? It could be a hardware problem or even an alignment problem.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2227 Posts
  • 1106 Reply Likes
I had AT&T Uverse, DSL, or whatever you want to call it. I was paying for speeds up to 18 mbps and never saw speeds above 10 mbps.

I pay Viasat $10 less per month than I was paying AT&T for up to 12 mbps on Liberty 12. It isn't uncommon for me to see speeds around 18 mbps.

DSL out in the country and DSL in the city are two different things.
Photo of John Jones II

John Jones II

• 9 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
yeah ihad a terch come out. he came out during the morning so everything was running fine. I called and argued with the cancellation department but of course as long as they get money they dont care. So now it is my mission to pull up all of their signs that i see at intersections. makes me feel a little better.