Lease or Buy equipment for 299.99?

• Question
  • Updated 7 months ago
  • Doesn't Need an Answer
I was just wondering what other exede customers have done when purchasing, did you lease equipment for 9.99 a month or pay the 299.99 one time fee?

It just is not clear to me if that you pay the 299.99 one time fee and say you need to replace the Modem/Router will you have to purchase it at full retail? or if other equipment needs to be upgraded in the future will I be responsible for purchasing?

I'm just trying to figure out the advantages of leasing every month or why would paying 299.99 help me?

Hope I wrote this clearly but if not ask me to clarify :) 

Thanks!   

Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 949 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
While I can't say definitively it is always the case, I feel like when I "lease" equipment, when/ if something happens, the company is much more likely to send out a free replacement.  Also, the chances of upgrading in 30 months (break even point) are pretty likely.  My Dish receivers usually last about two years.  They never fuss or make me extend a contract.  They just send a new one out.  Never had a problem with my Exede modem.  I'm sure others on here probably have and could speak more to that.  
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Bradley,

Thank you for the reply. Yes I was also thinking the same thing as that if leasing it should be easier to get equipment replaced. 
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 949 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
Years ago, when you "purchased" equipment from a company, it was essentially yours.  If you had a problem, they would charge you for replacements. Now I see a trend of companies doing the "lease" tactic (which probably yields more money in the long run), but provides the consumer with leverage when the equipment fails (assuming out of contract).   Companies now try to leverage more money buy offering "service contracts".  

If you don't have Exede yet, I'd recommend leasing for now.  If you jump to a ViaSat 2 plan, you will need new equipment anyhow.  We'll see how generous they are with offering the new equipment.  
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Bradley,
No I'm not an exede customer yet. I have been asking questions here for awhile now just trying to gain more knowledge of how satellite/exede works. 

Have to say this is a great community forum and even the exede employees post here.   
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 949 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
It's the most active company on a forum that I've witnessed.  Albeit, this forum is very small compared to most.  A word of caution, calling in (and using email to some extent) seems to yield less results than the responses from Exede employees on the forum.  
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 655 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
Bradley,  

The email, ExedeListens@viasat.com is monitored by Exede Brad, Diana and myself.  We answer each email within 24 hours usually.  
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 949 Posts
  • 293 Reply Likes
I’ll stand by what I said. Sent an email asking about getting the router with built in WiFi. The response two days later was is wasn’t available in my area. I logged on and saw silver unlimited. Had the router two days later. I’ll post if I can find it, but I’m bad to delete.

It’s why I joined the forums. I saw on here the router and unlimited plans had been offered for a week.

It was sent Oct 2 at 11:02am EST. Last name same as this. Post my email (name and email withheld) with the response.
(Edited)
Photo of briman

briman

• 96 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Bradley,

caution understood :)
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 656 Posts
  • 285 Reply Likes
Briman,

It's worth noting that the $299.99 fee is for a lifetime lease.  Meaning you pay upfront, but you're still leasing the equipment.  After 2.5 years, you break even with the monthly lease program.  

Either way, we will service you as needed and replace equipment if required.