Can't access FoxNews.com

• Problem
  • Updated 2 years ago
  • In Progress
  • (Edited)
Until your latest "upgrade" I could surf sites fine when on restriction. Now I cannot even connect to foxnews.com.....because they contain videos? you have to click them to play!This is NOT as advertised, and I never have issues before.I would have considered upgrading data, but speed is really not that much faster when my data resets unless I am up at 3AM.I was told when my data usage was exceded that my speed was lowered, but that I could still surf the web, not play videos, but surf. I cannot even do that anymore?you have become usless to me.Fortunately, I now have options.
Photo of J.W. Hyre

J.W. Hyre

• 5 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 2 years ago

Photo of Mr.Anderson

Mr.Anderson

• 83 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Exede Brad over on the "Exede Evolution" message board has said they are aware of the issue.  Perhaps it is being worked on??? We will see...

workaround:
use a web based proxy such as ninjabrowse.com or just go on google and type in free proxy and pick one.  It will have to do while they "fix" the "problem".  You will be able to go to foxnews and others.
(Edited)
Photo of calvinclifcal

calvinclifcal

• 8 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
ninjabrowse.com is slower than my current browser
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1660 Posts
  • 984 Reply Likes

ninjabrowse.com being free, you get what you pay for.

I posted a link to get Vyper VPN for a free 3 day trial and then it's quite inexpensive after that, but I have yet to see where anybody gave it a try.
Vyper VPN is the fastest VPN there is, especially if you use the Texas portal.

A proxy is just a "handoff" system so of course it will be slow.

Photo of DSI-Daniel (Authorized Dealer)

DSI-Daniel (Authorized Dealer)

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Have any of you who are having issues ever think to defrag your PCs or MACs?
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1660 Posts
  • 984 Reply Likes
My system drives are 512GB Samsung 950 Pro M.2's running on a PCIe 3.0 bus.
I never defrag them and they operate at an astonishing speed, always.  What good would it do to defrag?

I also have 8 6TB Seagate hard drives but they are only for data storage as I don't believe in putting my data "in the cloud" for someone else to see, use, steal or lose.

My computer is one of the fastest AMD based single machines on the planet earth for a few more months and then I'll upgrade.

I fail to recognize a drive defrag being beneficial to internet speed.

If people want a bit more speed they can turn off the Windows Update reserved bandwidth.  If they have an Apple computer, they're screwed already and nothing will help.

Photo of Debbi Cobern

Debbi Cobern

• 86 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
So that is why I can't do ANYTHING when on restriction as before? I was told it was my fault and that I must have been going on YouTube too much! We never go on you tube except after midnight if even then! They talked me into a larger GB pkg. and I've spent 30.00 over and above my usual bill and will still probably have to buy more before the 8th at the rate it's going! I wish I had other options. This was great when they first came out but it has steadily gone down hill.
Photo of Debbi Cobern

Debbi Cobern

• 86 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
Sure enough! My data was gone in a day again!!!! What the heck?
Photo of Kevin Rose

Kevin Rose

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Mine went really fast like it was not unlimited data over night...

Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
I just connected to and pulled foxnews.com without any problem and even took a screenshot and posted that here.  I was able to do this even with my internet connection running at 150 kbps (0.15 Mbps) (about 3X dial up speed) which is a throttle that I have put in place so that websites like foxnews.com can burn up my data only so fast.  In the not so distant past, when I had dial up internet, I could still pull up foxnews.com but I might have had a problem uploading the screenshot to this forum.  150 kbps (0.15 Mbps) is actually quite slow.  Are you saying that your speed is slower than 150 kbps or even slower than dial up?  If your speed is 150 kbps or faster and you are having the trouble you are describing, then there could be problems with your computer itself.

(Edited)
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
[ quote author = Jeff Buller ]

How did you place this "throttle that I have put in place so that websites like foxnews.com can burn up my data only so fast."??????????????????????

Please be so kind as to explain Please

[ end quote ]

I run Windows in a virtual machine under VMWare Workstation and VMWare versions 7.0 and later will allow you to limit the speed of the virtual network adapter in the virtual machine's configuration (setup and specifications) file.  From the point of view of the Windows running in the virtual machine, it sees that virtual network adapter as a piece of hardware that can move data only so fast.  It is identical in principle to what GabeU explains above, except that I can do it in software, which makes it easier to setup and easier to temporarily suspend, such as when I am downloading a really large (e.g. multigigabyte) file of my choice, and that is the only thing I am doing on the internet at the moment.

I suspect that you are asking this question because you want to do the same thing since you are tired of those websites burning up your data and constantly finding ways around the other control measures you have put in place.

One possibility which GabeU alluded to above is that you can put a router between your internal network and the Exede modem and set up a speed restriction that way.  Or, if you want to do what I have done, you can do the following:

First, download VMWare Workstation Player 12.5 and its documentation.  There is a version for Windows and for Linux.  VMWare Workstation Player is free for non commercial use and my understanding is that the later versions (about 8 and later) will also allow you to create a virtual machine as well as run one.

Then, create a virtual machine and install Windows in that virtual machine.  You will need to have a valid license and product key for the Windows you are installing in that virtual machine.

Then, once that virtual machine is up and running, add the following lines (without the [code] and [/code]) to that virtual machine's configuration file (.vmx file):

[code]
ethernet0.rxbw.limit = 150
ethernet0.txbw.limit = 150
[/code]

The "150" in the 2 lines above can instead be any number of your choice and specify the speed limit of the virtual network adapter you want in Kbps.  I use 150, which is about 3 times dial up speed, dial up speed being 52 Kbps at best, because just about all of the websites that I use will work with an internet connection of that speed and will not time out on me or anything like that.  If you really need your full speed internet connection, such as if you want to download a very large file, it is my understanding that VMWare Workstation will let you change the speed of the virtual network adapter while the virtual machine is running.
(Edited)
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
[ quote author = Mr.Anderson ]

xode0000, your manually throttled connection is not relevant to the issue here, but thank you for trying to help. This issue as it has been explained in multiple threads now for the exact same issue has to deal with Exede's "data usage/monitoring software" unintentionally blocking some websites.

Most of the other plans have liberty pass I believe, which should only slow your connection and again not block sites (unintentional or not)

[ /quote ]

Based on what you have stated here, the problem could be a defect in the Exede Evolution plan itself.  You, and the other users having this problem, might want to email exedelistens@viasat.com and bring this problem to their attention.

Personally, I do have a Liberty Pass plan.
Photo of Angela Rowbotham Hensley

Angela Rowbotham Hensley

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Perhaps we who are BLOCKED can advise Fox News of our being blocked.  I'm sure Fox News would love to be told many of their readers are now being deliberately BLOCKED by Exede. Hey, they might even investigate Exede to see why Excede customers are being BLOCKED from websites.
Photo of Kevin Rose

Kevin Rose

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

There are definitely problems with my Classic plan and data overages.  Now that I'm in restriction, I am being blocked from uploading weather data to wunderground.  Fox News is blocked.  So is Norton and Windows update.  Never had these problems before.  I think they counted my weather updates as streaming and my data was used up 3 times faster than usual.  Exede wants us to pay more!  That is not going to happen!  I email them with this problem.  Then because I used the Facebook messenger service, I got a free gig.  The problems cleared up.  They said problem solved. Now I'm in restriction, problem back.  The "experts" are trying to solve this by throttling, what a joke...

Photo of Kevin Rose

Kevin Rose

• 10 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

There are definitely problems with my Classic plan and data overages.  Now that I'm in restriction, I am being blocked from uploading weather data to wunderground.  Fox News is blocked.  So is Norton and Windows update.  Never had these problems before.  I think they counted my weather updates as streaming and my data was used up 3 times faster than usual.  Exede wants us to pay more!  That is not going to happen!  I email them with this problem.  Then because I used the Facebook messenger service, I got a free gig.  The problems cleared up.  They said problem solved. Now I'm in restriction, problem back.  The "experts" are trying to solve this by throttling, what a joke...

Photo of Dexter Lumen

Dexter Lumen

• 65 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
xode0000,

Are you out of data for the month? Because I am and like J.W. I can't access foxnews either. It's not that it's slow it's that they are blocking the site once you run out of data and the only way to get it to load is to buy more data.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Not at all.  I simply throttle my internet connection so that the chances are much less that I will run out of data, and then, I have the Liberty Pass in case I do run out of data.  As I stated above, this could be a defect in the plan you have.  Pending that defect being fixed, I suspect that having a throttle of your choice and under your control on your internet connection will only help.
(Edited)
Photo of inthe80s

inthe80s

• 2 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes, I know it's problem. Mentioned in two other threads. Same with nytimes.com and others. I just ran across two other websites: DirecTV (can't access and pay the bill) and EncoreTV.com (movie package on my DirecTV account) which I use to see upcoming programs and schedules.
Photo of Debbi Cobern

Debbi Cobern

• 86 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I've done everything suggested for our two laptops on articles here at Exede to keep data from being eaten up but it has been no help. All we do is visit websites, no video unless after midnight, no uploading or downloading of pics or video, no game playing (we are senior citizens and just read some email and surf websites like Amazon and Ebay. I wish we had another option. How does one set their router to certain speeds? Can someone recommend a router that will do this? I don't think ours has that option.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
I just did a moderate depth google search for routers that allow you to limit speeds and didn't find any, which is surprising.  That doesn't mean that there aren't any routers that will allow you to limit speed but that a search for those has to be more in depth.  In any event, my comment above describes how you can limit your speed using software.
Photo of Dexter Lumen

Dexter Lumen

• 65 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I have a cheap $20 tplink router that allows me to limit speed, but the problem is that it causes a lot of problems which I'm assuming comes from the nature of it being satellite internet. I wouldn't recommend it.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2038 Posts
  • 1749 Reply Likes
Debbi, Ebay will use up a lot of data. You are downloading tons of pictures when you go on Ebay. I always went over my data limit when I was with Verizon when I spent to much time on Ebay.
Photo of BRKnox

BRKnox

• 21 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
@Jim16: Depends on what plan you are on, under Evolution pictures on web pages are suppose to not use any data. The only thing that is suppose to use data (that I know of) is video, file downloads, and flash content.

More than likely background downloads like windows updates are eating up data... pictures generally don't use a lot of data to begin with.
(Edited)
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
[ quote author = Dexter Lumen ]

I have a cheap $20 tplink router that allows me to limit speed, but the problem is that it causes a lot of problems which I'm assuming comes from the nature of it being satellite internet. I wouldn't recommend it.

[ /quote ]

In that case, the software solution I outlined above could possibly work for you, since it is working for me without any problems whatsoever.
(Edited)
Photo of Debbi Cobern

Debbi Cobern

• 86 Posts
  • 24 Reply Likes
I don't see how slowing down your data speed is going to keep you from using up data...it stil is going to take so much data to download a page whether slow or fast.
Photo of xode0000

xode0000, Champion

• 475 Posts
  • 151 Reply Likes
Throttling your internet connection will slow down all of the unwanted components of a website (e.g. ads and unsolicited videos) from eating up your data.  In the meantime, since a browser typically divides its attention amongst all of the items on a website that haven't yet been loaded, the items you want to see will also appear before the entire web page has been fully loaded, meaning that you can get to doing what you want to do on that website, and with less data having been wasted on the items on that website that you have no interest in.

Further, many websites look at the speed of your internet connection and will load less stuff that is wasteful if they see that your internet connection is slow, since they know that they aren't going to be able to shove their stuff in your face as they would want to do, and not being able to do that defeats their original purpose of downloading that waste.

In any event, in my case, it has been a real advantage for me in keeping the data I use for everyday internet activities low.  Generally, I want to throttle my internet connection as much as possible but not so much that the websites I use start timing me out and such.  The 150 Kbps limit that I stated above currently works quite well.
Photo of Diane Dail

Diane Dail

• 11 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
debbi lots of people are having trouble veiwing sites,their system is blocking them that is why,they say the issue is their fault and they are working on a fix we shall see
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1660 Posts
  • 984 Reply Likes

@ Diane Dail

Hey.. that picture you show next to your name....It looks a lot like my place.  Have you been here?  The picture shows a concrete bridge and mine are all wood but still, amazing similarities.  Regardless, it's a nice picture.

(Edited)
Photo of BRKnox

BRKnox

• 21 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Over a week later, and this is still not fixed... to heck with customers being negatively impacted by this I guess. No communication, no time line on when a fix can be expected. Nothing.
(Edited)