Latest speed

• Problem
  • Updated 8 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: old post

Like Stephen, I think I will have to post tests all the time, to show how bad Viasat's performance has gotten for me.

This is at 5:30pm!!!

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes

Posted 9 months ago

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
AT&T dsl was never this fast for me. I love my Liberty 12 plan with speeds up to 12 mbps.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Two can play this game...

Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Mine went up after 6 smh, i have no idea what is going on.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Viasat is a scam.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Dont do a Google search on that topic Stephen. Not going to like what you find.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
It's a scam for just about every customer's beam except Stephen's.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Hundreds of reviews, one star ratings galore, and then there is Stephen.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I'm sure there are plenty of negative reviews for most internet providers. I hear people complain all the time about their cable or DSL service. Either about how it goes down a lot, hardware failures or about terrible customer service. None of them realized how good they had it until they moved and have to switch to satellite.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
You are correct.  But at least their average rating is better than one star. 

So to keep up with Stephen's annoying speed tests, I post mine.  I wouldn't post if I had speed of maybe 1Mbps or better :)

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I'd give Viasat more than one star, maybe two and a half out of four. The service has worked pretty well for me over the years and I'm happy that it's available and that I can afford it. Then again I don't think my beam is anywhere near as congested as yours.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
The congestion on my beam is unbelievable. Three hours later...

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
I give Viasat 6 stars! I’m a paid Viasat shill.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
No. You are an unpaid Viasat shill!
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Liberty pass has been doing good today so far. 10mbps most of the day when I had a break to test it. I think something in there program is not working as it should, after 6am I have noticed if it is slow it will remain slow till 3am or if it is fast it will remain fast even through prime hours. 
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

I think their IT fiddler has been re-programming their CISCO equipment on augmented beams out of Denver's hub, or their fiber connections are limiting bandwidth.  DL/UL speeds are up/down today.  I was using MiFi mostly yesterday, so I don't know when this SNAFU happened.

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Still not on Liberty pass, but:

https://testmy.net/quickstats/The%20Walrus

One slow result at 0630 today.

(Edited)
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Those are great numbers, with data mine are close to yours it's just I think the Liberty pass is having some issues, Other than that I have no problem with my plan just not going to keep it if it continues to be unusable during Liberty pass. Now today is crazy good and I don't expect that all the time just 1mbps would be ok and I would be satisfied during the day.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
Viasat has ordered a third satellite for its next-generation broadband communications network. The company announced last week that it executed an agreement with Boeing for a third ViaSat-3 that will serve the Asia Pacific region. Boeing is building the first two ViaSat-3 spacecraft, expected to launch in 2021. The third satellite will likely launch in the second half of 2022. Viasat reported record revenue of $555 million for the three months ended Dec. 31, up 45 percent year over year. [SpaceNews]
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Here are my primetime numbers!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
It ain’t a speed test but MTV is streaming perfect tonight.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
Pretty good with the streaming.

I gave up on MTV years ago when it transitioned from a music video channel to a low rent reality TV channel.  And I'm not including the first few seasons of The Real World, especially season 3, which was pioneering, but what the channel transitioned into.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Fortunately you can get the true MTV via YouTube and 80s music videos.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
I watch 80s music videos on Youtube quite often.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
My favorite show on MTV was Headbangers Ball. I always stayed up late on the weekends to watch.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
OMG yes!  It was the day after I watched a block special of Metallica that I went out and got my Metallica tattoo.  Headbanger's Ball was one of the best shows on that channel.  I knew what I was going to be doing every Saturday Night from 12AM to 3AM.  Classic MTV.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I'll never forget when Metallica played at the MTV video awards in '91 I believe. I was floored by their performance and I remember seeing Madonna in the audience with a look of horror on her face. It was priceless!
Photo of steve heller

steve heller

• 104 Posts
  • 23 Reply Likes
I'm getting pretty good speeds so far with my new Gold plan. Upload usually is about 1 mpbs, but at 6:30 AM on Saturday it is pretty good:
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
I’ll never forget when Metallica shut down Napster. I haven’t listened to a Metallica song since then.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Different times. Now the band doesn't give a crap if you "share" their music.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
And I still refuse to listen to any of their music.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
I was a Napster user.  And though I agreed with Metallica's stance, I disagreed with them providing names.  That was just plain wrong, in my book.  

I still listen to them, though not like I did when I was younger.  I'm getting too old to head bang.  LOL.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
I worked at a PC repair shop from 2000 to 2003. One day someone brought in a computer because Napster wasn’t working. While we were trying to figure out what was wrong, someone read a news article about Metallica shutting down Napster. We searched the customer’s computer for a Metallica music and sure enough, there was at least one Metallica song on it. We called the customer and explained what happened. I’ve never had any desire to even listen to Metallica ever since then.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
So because their computer had a Metallica song on it, and Metallica was a major force in getting Napster shut down, you don't listen to Metallica anymore?  Had the person's computer not had a Metallica song on it would you still be listening to them?  

I had a ton of Metallica songs on mine.  Still have them on a disc, when I burned all of the MP3s I had to a couple.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
FWIW - Tidal competitor Qobuz is coming to the US with audiophile music streaming

Qobuz has four plans, with no free tier available. The cheapest option is $9.99/month, which allows subscribers to stream music at 320 kbps. The 'Hi-Fi' plan is $19.99/month, and includes FLAC 16-Bit / 44.1 KHz music. There's also the $24.99/month 'Studio' offering with FLAC 24-Bit (up to 192 KHz), and the $299.99/year 'Sublime+' plan includes reduced prices for purchased music. For all options except 'Sublime+', the first month is free.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Gabe, I've seen Metallica in concert many times going back to 1986 and as recently as the Hardwired tour last fall. You're never too old to headbang. Just gotta be more careful.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
I saw the on their Damaged Justice tour in March 1989.  They were with Queensryche.  Fantastic concert.  So many kids were wearing concert T Shirts in school the next day it was amazing.  I got two.  I wish I still had them.  Had I known the sentimentality of things like that back then I never would have worn them, or at least not more than once.  I would have put them in double ziplock bags and stored them in a safe place.    

I have three stenoses in my cervical spine, so no headbanging for this guy.  LOL.  I almost went to their concert the last time they were in Buffalo, but it didn't happen.  I was going to go with my stepfather, who's only 12 years older than I am.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I've kept most of my concert shirts from back in the 1980's. I still have my Guns N Roses shirt from 1988! But yeah, after having surgery on your spine headbanging is not a good idea.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
GNR!  Loved them, too, though Axl's lack of professionalism with concerts later on sort of bugged me.  Never saw them, though.  Still, it didn't take away from the great music.  

No surgery yet, but that's coming, soon enough, and probably even sooner if I start thrashing.  LOL.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Hopefully you'll stay healthy and won't require surgery. I'm 50 years old and can't rock out like I used to when I was 20. Plus, I have way less hair.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
I'll be 47 soon.  Not far off.  Less hair here, too.  And it's hard to stay mellow while listening to metal.  LOL.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Listening to hard rock/metal helps me though. I had Alice In Chains "Facelift" album cranked up the other day and I slept like a baby.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
AIC is great.  I like Dirt.  Have a few of those songs on my regular Youtube playlist.  Layne Staley was one of a kind.  :(  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Yep. So sad how he ended up. I've never heard a vocalist quite like him and probably never will.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
I liked all different bands till one man changed all that, when I heard Stevie Ray Vaughan do his thing he brought a new style of blues to my ears. Never seen him in concert but man that guy could play.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
I never was much of a SRV fan, but he could play, that's for sure.  Along those same lines, George Thorogood was/is pretty good, too.  From what I understand his playing during his concerts is phenomenal.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Stevie Ray Vaughan was a guitar genius. If Hendrix had been alive during that time he probably would have taken classes from him.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Guitar Boogie Tommy Emmanuel
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3507 Posts
  • 1316 Reply Likes
aw man I missed a pretty good conversation here, normally I phase in and out on the ongoing speed threads. Big time Metallica fan in the office. Got a Papa Het figure on my monitor. Really liked the Hardwired Tour (caught the stadium legs...that tour is still going. Crazy) Iron Maiden is on my bucket list and the tour their bringing this summer is a greatest hits tour with an awesome stage set (a spitfire during Aces High, a really cool Cathedral set, Bruce Dikenson with flame throwers during Flight of Icarus) but it's not coming here but I found a multicam bootleg of the show in Paris on YouTube and it looked awesome
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
You can't go wrong with Maiden!  And Bruce's voice?  OMG!  He may not be able to hit the notes quite as high as he used to, but boy he can still sure belt it out like no other.  One of the best metal bands ever, for sure.  And, of course, they've got Eddie.  :)  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes

Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Ladies and gentlemen, witness the speed of Stephen on his beam all by himself. No one to slow him down.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
this result
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
I love how it shows your average speed. .2 mbps is double what your speed is right now.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I love Gwen's speed. 

But Terry takes the prize for the lowest speed.  It is unfathomable that an internet provider in 2019 would create a traffic management system that would allow customers to be slowed to that level.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
When speeds get that low nothing going to test correct, all I can say it is slow and I don't need to test to know it. I have seen one day since my reset be ok other than that this is the speeds I see now. This is Liberty pass just to be clear on that.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1329 Posts
  • 435 Reply Likes
All you have to do is switch plans. Bam! Speeds are back to blazing fast. Speeds that put dsl to shame :).

I did look yesterday. Unlimited plans are offered in my area. Without a contract Liberty 50 is all I can get. Thought about doing a bunch of speed tests and then switching for a month and checking speeds. At least it might show people if speeds really increase.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
when my speeds were that low i had problems getting amazon etc to come up , id have to wait for like 30 seconds or more just to load a simple page 
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
98Kbps?  I mean, I know congestion happens, but come on!  That's absolutely ludicrous.  I tried Speedtest, but it gives me a latency fault every time, and I don't know why.  My latency isn't any worse than someone with ViaSat.  

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Terry, you would probably see a speed increase simply by switching to the lowest priced Liberty plan. I bet it would be faster than what you currently have, even after using up your 12 gb of data.

This company just doesn’t make sense anymore.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Gabe.  Do you ever go over your priority data with Hughesnet?  Those are nice speeds. Curious what you would get after exhausting priority data.

You are not the only one saying this company doesn't make sense anymore.  I had a reputable dealer tell me the same thing.

Let's see.  Upset the customer base.  Upset your dealer network. 

Viasat is really impressing its stakeholders.

I think it might be time to write a well thought out letter to the CEO.  Might include screen shots of speed tests too. 
(Edited)
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
I'm on Liberty 12 lol
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
I haven't yet.  I used to once in a while with my daily refill plan, but I haven't since upgrading to Gen4 in Feb 2016, then Gen5 in Mar 2017.  And if I did, I'd also have to burn through 50GB of Token data that I stupidly already have banked and ready to go in order to be subject to FAP and be throttled.  

I have heard from people who get similar speeds to mine see around 2Mbps to 3Mbps while in FAP and throttled.  

Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
From July of 2018 till 4 or 5 weeks ago I would get liberty pass speeds of 18mbps during the day and at night anywhere from 3mbps up to 10 or so. Then one day it dropped to nothing most of the time. I do see some days it will be ok for an hour or so but not much more than that. But come 3am it is fine then at 6 back to nothing. Christmas was the best speeds I had seen so makes me wonder what happened.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Must be nice Stephen to be all alone on your little beam. I don't even waste my time with speed tests during primetime because I know they will be complete mierda.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Wow. Like I said, this company doesn’t make a bit of sense anymore.

I checked the stock price today and it is soaring once again. $74 a share as of Friday.

Makes no sense whatsoever other than Viasat screwing as many subscribers as possible to gain profit to impress shareholders.

I may be a Viasat shill but I call things like it is.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
This whole mess started about the time Deku went on her rant and disappeared. She seemed to be one of the first to be hit by the changes.

When you lose Deku and Stephen supporting your company, turn off the lights the party is over.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@ Stephen

Stock market "analysts" blow their horns in both directions, and the herd reacts, despite there being no rational basis to analysts dribble, most of the time.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Terry

Is your beam transversed via commercial aircraft?
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
I have no idea Jab, I'm in  SW Va. not sure what beam.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
I'll have to wait till the net is better before that will load Jab. You want to know what airports are near me or something else?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Not needed...I suspect Viasat is transferring more bandwidth over to commercial aircraft.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Deku

Maybe this post will be read by someone at Carlsbad
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Much better now.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Prime time was a bit sluggish over the weekend even on priority data.

Liberty pass tests at the end of the week...
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
It is amazing the variance in speed showing up now, even for the same account.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Once I get my wifi up and running I will see if I can beat you :).
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Today speeds was good for me as I had 10bps most of day and down to 3mbps while heading into the danger zone at 6pm. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
This is really weird....

Verizon...

Viasat....

Same time and same computer.  STRANGE.....

Who is this Viasat and what have you done with the real one?!?!

These are at 7pm at night too. 

Obviously something is not working right with Viasat traffic management right now.  I NEVER get speeds like this, even in the morning.
(Edited)
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Strange indeed! Funny how yours went up the same day as mine and to mention on different plans. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Nothing makes sense anymore with Viasat.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Your Verizon

My Verizon
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Yea.  My tower isn't connected to fiber and I don't have my Yagi antenna up and running yet.

Still running at 5GB+ at 9pm during primetime.

Obviously something isn't working right.  I am sure Viasat engineers will correct the error and we will get below 500kbps speeds again. 
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
I wish Viasat would fix my problem.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 447 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
Not bad for prime time on Liberty pass. Twice as fast as my DSL was.
Photo of Phillip Freeman

Phillip Freeman

• 7 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Just plain WOW!!!!!!!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes

Like Stephen says, nothing makes any sense.  A few of us have gotten very good speeds tonight.  I am seeing better speeds than I have seen in a long, long time. 

Now that speed test above at 0.08, something isn't right for the ping to be THAT high.  I wonder if that is a misaligned dish?
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
I’ve finally used up my priority data. I am currently on the Liberty Pass.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 447 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
Liberty pass also. Not bad for 4:50 in the afternoon after an early school release due to snow.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I'm sorry. But Liberty pass is to be 1 to 5Mbps. For a person with a 150GB plan to be getting deprioritzed to the point you are getting better than promised speeds, there is something wrong with that picture.

And I know you would be perfectly fine capped at 5Mbps while on the pass.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1329 Posts
  • 435 Reply Likes
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1329 Posts
  • 435 Reply Likes
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
And here is my Liberty Pass speed test during prime time.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Ran two tests not that it matters at these speeds.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
46Kbps?  I think that's the lowest I've seen yet.  :(  
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Yeah speeds are all over, 200k, 50k, 40k. Best I seen today was 0.26 at 10am not that it's much better. Just after 6pm is when those real low numbers at times. Going with something new next month so i'm not to worried over it. Tested again and showing 263k so it just jumping around lol
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Terry

There is a FCC Speed Test app at Google Play...give it a shot, or two.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Running at this tonight...  not bad
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Thanks Jab it's all good man, I am changing isp next week so no biggie. Was going to change this month but had to install a new heat pump so had to wait. Look up igo Technology it is what i'm going to go with till better comes along.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Dang Vet your speeds smoking the last two days man!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
You abandoning us Terry! You are one guy who has worse speeds than me! Lol
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Yeah man I think I will be moving on. My speeds are pretty bad but it is only like that in Liberty pass, now with data it is all good just wished I could get 1 or 2mbps during the pass like I did before. 

I was going to go with a cell phone for internet till I got to looking at fixed wireless that is unlimited for $74 a month and 6mbps. I can get up to 20mbps for more money but 6mbps is great for my needs. 

I had Verizon for 2 months and dropped them cause I had to much problems with the jetpacks so going to try out this fixed wireless and see how it goes.

Yeah I ran a good race with speeds with you. lol

To add I will let Stephen Rice have my 50k of bandwidth! bahahaha
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 108 Reply Likes
Hey Terry, what was the problem with the Jetpacks? Only had mine 2 months and so far so good, hope there isn't trouble around the corner.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
A few models have been prone to automatically reboot every few minutes. Appeared related to firmware issues. Hopefully the latest firmware has resolved it.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Nothing real bad or anything Al, first one went dead after a month then my 2nd came dead my 3rd would not charge the battery. And with all that going on the modem would just lose connection but Jab said they fixed that problem with a update or something. Far as speeds it was great just I got tired of dealing with the jetpack problem. I mean if this fixed wireless don't work out I may try Verizon again but I hope it don't come to that.
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
Not Terry and he'll probably reply while I'm typing. After those of us that signed up early, they started enforcing the 720p, some older accounts have issues with the switch (more to it than that, I didn't read it thouroughly). There's a glitch causing Internet to stop, requiring reboot. The fix for now is to have Verizon reset your account, or disconnect yourself and reconnect a new line. Pages of discussion elsewhere. If you signed up later, your account may be set up correctly. Also 8800l jetpacks have issues, being worked on. Possibly what Vetsat was referring to.

I only need to reboot once a day, and I still get better than 1080p. I'm waiting to get closer to my renew date to see about fixing.

Unless Terry had a different issue.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I have had a 6600 for over 3 years. The battery will go bad. No complaints for the most part but I had the reboot problem for the first time in late December. There was a firmware update since then and I think the problem has been fixed.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Jetpack

YMMV, but there are workarounds if glitches exist.  I'm using a signal booster, which reduces Tx power and extra heat, so less "wear/tear" on Jetpack.  Using WiFi without an issue.   There are approved routers that the SIM can be dropped in, but $$$. A Jetpack is not required...a SIM and one of these approved routers will work.

Hearsay suggests not for continuous duty usage...I suspect this might be true if Tx power is high, and TBs are downloaded, over and over.  My 6620L is set on top of a CPU's heatsink...maybe not needed.

Some twenty days of usage....using an USB port on an older router to keep it charged...router has just enough current to slowly charge it with my usage.  If doing bandwidth intensive downloading, this router's current might not keep up.  I'm not wanting a fast charge, just enough to slowly charge it.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
That's a shame :).
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Doesn’t make a bit of sense. My speed should be around 256 kbps during primetime.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Probably because the traffic management system has a few bugs!

You have better "unlimited"data than those on "unlimited" plans.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@ Stephen Rice

If looking at flight maps, I doubt there are enough flights creating an issue in your beam....I'm not current on how passengers engage their smartphones/etc., but I suppose when coming in for landing and taking off there is a duration of time when not much bandwidth is being used.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Stephen, it could just be that your beam doesn't have many subscribers.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
To answer your question Jab, smart phones and tablets can be utilized the whole time you are on a plane. Only laptop needs turned off for takeoffs and landings.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 447 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
True, but not in transmit mode below 10,000 feet so they should be in “airplane” mode which disables wifi. You can play games or read on them, but not be connected to anything.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
People never follow the rules when it comes to airplane mode. I see impatient people send text messages during takeoff and landing all the time.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

I assume the Captain can turn on/off the IFC? 

Viasat suggests their IFC is "Suitable for most medium and long-range commercial airframes," so are these common down south?  Last time I was down south, I recall seeing TWA's Lockheed Constellation airplane in active service.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Voyager is right about airplane mode. But they tell you to put your phone in airplane mode and then turn on the wifi.

So yes, they can be in receive and transmit mode, and this is allowed (wifi only).

And no, the captain does not turn the internet off.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 447 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
That isn’t true on the flights I am on and I fly several times a year. The GoGoInflight almost always shuts down while on the ground and below 10,000 feet. The FAs always make an announcement to complete your work as it will shut off without warning, which it does. This is certainly true on Delta, the carrier I fly most, but the FAA allows the airlines to decide when to enable and disable wifi so it may well be different with other airlines.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Interesting. Southwest allows it. The minute I board the plane I start watching live video and don't stop using the wifi until I get out of seat to disembark. They do announce about laptops, but that is because of their size. Tablets and small mobile devices are fine.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
I miss the good old days when electronics were not allowed to be used during takeoff or landing.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
I miss the 80's!
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

RE: 6620L Battery

I currently suspect this unit's battery state of charge circuit is funky.  It's been reported when tethered to USB slot on specific routers, with low current flowing to USB port, of disconnects.  Even though this unit's read-out suggested near 100% charge while plugged into router, this appears to be a false assessment of battery's state of charge.

I ran it several days on a low charging router, and then used computer's USB port with unit turned off.  It's showing it needs more time to charge battery. Point here, with unit turned on and inserted into a powered USB port, a false charge reading may exist, but with unit turned off, and then charged, a true charged/not-charged state shown may be true.

I'm not aware if battery can be evaluated with Volt-Ohm-Meter
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
I miss the days before copy and paste.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I don'! When I fly is the only time I get to use Viasat internet working great :)
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
lol
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
And I am serious about that! I can watch 1080p video with no buffering for 4+ hours on a cross country flight in the evening.

Try doing that during primetime with your Viasat account.

I also miss the old forum BTW.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Oh I know your right on that it just funny how we have such a hard time Vet with our net. Like it is so hard just to get enough bandwidth to just do simple tasks. I was wanting to post more stuff last night here n the forum but it kept timing out. lol  I never posted on the old forum but did read them. But yes it was a way better forum. 
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 447 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
I miss the days when we only had 0s to work with. When they added 1s, things got very complicated. LOL.
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
I call foul on this screenshot no way US average speed for Viasat is 44.5 unless they are allow beta testers unlimited speed since just look at the average here on the forum and its more like in the teens 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
I call foul on this screenshot no way US average speed for Viasat is 44.5 unless they are allow beta testers unlimited speed since just look at the average here on the forum and its more like in the teens 
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 447 Posts
  • 130 Reply Likes
BTW, do you ever miss the old forum? Ha, ha, ha...
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

RE: 6620L Battery

With unit off...powered via computer's USB port...it suggests more time is needed.   Then powered via cellphone charger, its fully charged. Then back to computer's USB port, more time is needed.

Verdict - Funky battery status indicator...hence, disconnects may be related to a low battery.  I'll have to evaluate via VOM, if this is possible.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
I call foul on this screenshot no way US average speed for Viasat is 44.5...
That's US average for all ISPs not Viasat.

Viasat's average is shown as My Host AVG - 18.8 Mbps and is the average of the last 1000 tests at the time of that particular speed test - good news it's now up to 19.2 ;)

But all it takes is one person running speed tests on Viasat-2 every few minutes to skew the averages:

https://testmy.net/memberstats?type=user_name&q=ViaSat_123&TestType=D&limit=25

Glad I'm not on his/her beam - but maybe it's Viasat pumping up the average ;)

(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Yea. High density spot beams can do 100Mbps or so. Just a few tests on that beam can really bring up the median speed anyhow.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 649 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
I miss my 40's, 50's, and 60's !!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2157 Posts
  • 1314 Reply Likes
Wow.  Could that person in the link be wasting any more data with their tests?  Numerous test file sizes over 50MB and quite a few over 100MB.  Sheesh! 

Then again, it could be a company test account, I suppose.    
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Just hit Liberty Pass (2/22/2019 @ 10:00 AM Viasat-1 Beam 329 in VA) and will be running tests over the next few days at various times (first one not bad):

P.S. Also testing PlayOn Cloud solely from my PC - running their Android app under Bluestacks - needed something worthwhile to download that would push me over priority data.

FWIW, they've (PlayOn) got a spring sale going on for those interested - 50 recording credits for $10 for an added $10 you can get an additional 75 credits.
(Edited)
Photo of Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae

• 77 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
That's a pretty sweet deal on the PlayOn Cloud credits.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
PlayOn is great!
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
FWIW, the PlayOn Cloud App runs fine under BlueStacks  on Windows 7 - I'd been debating getting a cheap Android tablet so I could schedule recordings using PlayOn Cloud - no real need to now.
(Edited)
Photo of Sophie Mae

Sophie Mae

• 77 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
I'll have to check out BlueStacks - I get tired of staring down at my phone to do stuff like that, and find myself wishing that I could do things on my PC.

Michael McDowell

• 649 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
BlueStacks seems to run fine on Win10 Pro. I downloaded it to run an app to control some wifi controllable LED bulbs.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I tried Bluestacks, couldn't get it to go. Now, make a bootable android system off a USB stick (like linux systems), that would be interesting.

Michael McDowell

• 649 Posts
  • 243 Reply Likes
Hmmm...I didn't think of trying the PlayOn Cloud on Bluestacks.  BlueStacks works fine on my Dell with Win10.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

Bluestacks, on my Win7 Desktop is dragging along, slowly.  Not sure if some hardware acceleration is needed.  I did download PlayOn Cloud and took a look.

I did notice Bluestacks uses a virtual window...I'm using AMD CPU, and notice Intel has their pawprint into it...
Photo of aabbcc

aabbcc

• 97 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
I have this installed on a Dell 2 in 1, works fine, and doesn't bog the same system like bluestacks does (low power cpu). http://www.android-x86.org/
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
They have this FAQ at Bluestacks:

Solution for "BlueStacks feels slow"
Enable Virtualization on your computer. You may also refer to our guide that describes how to achieve this.

I've got virtualization enabled in Bios...but no go...BIOS is vintage 2011...so now I'll have to check to see if Bios got updated since then.

Either something is preventing engagement, or older BIOS needs to be updated.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
I had no such problems with BlueStacks and it serves it's purpose for me, which was to simply be able to use the PlayOn Cloud App on Windows ujsing a quick and dirty free solution rather than investing in an Android device for at home use. If I were seeking a more robust solution I would have gone with the option suggested by aabbcc above and a true virtualization product (e.g. VirtaualBox or other) or more simply bought an Android tablet.

But then again the laptop I'm using it on is classified as a mobile desktop workstation that  I previously used for hardcore software development purposes.

More importantly, and what this conversation is really all about before the typical thread drift that always occurs, Liberty plan appears to be performing exactly as I would expect while on Liberty Pass as evidenced by:

Evidence gathered prior to entering Liberty Pass suggests better performance since the policy update to Freedom and Unlimited Plans on Viiasat-1 beam 329. The testing was to provide those considering a switch to Liberty from their Freedom or Unlimited plans affected by the policy with some hard figures rather than simple anecdotal evidence - even during dramatic slow downs, browsing and email (via an email client have remained usable. Interpret the results as you see fit, but I can't really complain and my impressions are that things have improved for me since the policy change at least while on priority data but YMMV.

Come 2/25, the excessive testing stops - I don't need to waste any more data and I typically have no problems remaining within my priority data allotment while leveraging the Liberty free zone - as expected full "speed" returned at 0300.
(Edited)
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Liberty pass is ok on some days or I should say very few days, you been on it for 1 day so give it some time. If we are on the same beam and I think I may be on beam 327. Yesterday for me had decent speeds but not atm.
(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
So far I've seen no discernible difference on Liberty Pass than in the past, it's always been hit or miss on 329 for me the few times that I ever hit it. The only noticeable difference I've seen since the new policy was adopted on Viasat-1 has been better overall speeds when not on Liberty Pass.

I'm happy with Liberty and only provide the speed test results for those struggling whether to give up their Freedom or Unlimited Plans on Viasat-1 for Liberty. It's there call and everyone's needs are different. However, if willing to work at it (i.e. eliminate all of the crap that comes with today's web sites) , can time shift internet usage to off hours and make full use of the free zone, it might work for some - PlayOn cloud (doesn't take much "speed" or data to schedule recordings) and then leveraging the free zone to download those recordings opens up Netflix and others video services to me. Next test and I;ve got a few ideas how best to go about it is to - schedule those downloads unattended during the free zone.

Where there's a will there's a way to make even Liberty 12 work to one's advantage. Let's just say I'm getting my $50 wort each month.       
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
While I think most of us veterans on here agree that Liberty plans are better than fake "unlimited" plans (I mean they both offer "unlimited" data), it begs the question why isn't Liberty available everywhere? I couldn't get it in my area for instance. I could never get the Evolution plan either. Strange.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO....BlueStacks

I suspect with time Virtualization coding has evolved...but it must be enabled at BIOS level on my  HP p6-2133w with Win7.  It is enabled in my BIOS, but it ain't working.  With Win8 and later based computers, this may not be an issue...mine would have been first generation of this feature.  There is a BIOS update, but I'm going to try this first on another HP p6-2133w I own/built

If this is scanned,   how to achieve this., one can observe the steps required to get virtualization enabled.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@aabbcc....Android-x86 Project''

Nice....
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
VeteranSatUser, that would be a question for NRTC in our case. But in mine, I could bump to Liberty 25 or 50 at last check with a simple phone call.

That may no longer be the case. Just got my bill and they're now saying call and ask about our "new" unlimited plans.
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@CO

NRTC - Going upwards on plan, immediate...going downwards, when billing cycle starts anew...the way it use to be....2005 era
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Which would be going upward for me from Liberty 12 - no place to go but up, but still not biting nor do I need to.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Good to have options though...

Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
Surprised you didn't try it sooner - I will be in the spring.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Nice Vetsat! Putting me to shame now! ;)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1329 Posts
  • 435 Reply Likes
My speeds improved when choosing a different option this evening as well.

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1329 Posts
  • 435 Reply Likes
BTW VetSat,

Are the speeds you see for the jet pack the same as you see on your mobile? Just wondering if there is a difference.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1329 Posts
  • 435 Reply Likes
Slow day for Verizon here...

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
The weather has kept me from doing something sooner. Remember I am fiddling up on a roof.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I haven't tried mobile and jetpack tests yet. I don't have my unlimited jetpack up and running yet so limited on how much testing I can do right now.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley...mobile vs Jetpack

Using a $400.00 signal booster...DLs, mobile some 5Mbps faster..ULs, mobile some 3Mbps faster...but testing just done, Jetpack speed is via WiFi to desktop computer.

When Jetpack is teethed to desktop computer, DLs are similar.  Regardless, speeds are good using either method.

I haven't checked mobile speeds near this tower on current plan.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1329 Posts
  • 435 Reply Likes
Thanks. I wondered if it would somehow have a different algorithm.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Unlimited Prepaid Data ($70) is not supposed to be throttled down, unless a tower is congested.  Hearsay suggests VZW is wanting their system tested to get kinks out of it before 5G is rolled out en masse.  5G is a new frontier, with "extreme" speeds, and all of these slow/fast bits must be in sync.  Engineers need to work out the kinks.

Even when Exede service was offered, it took them a year or so to work out their engineered quirks. 
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
My speed on my jetpack are much faster then on my phone I have iphone so its not a cheap phone. While doing research before I got it they said it would get better signal and be faster because of just using the 4G signal and not having to also do the signal for phone calls. 
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 317 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
9 AM in morning n
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Photo of DAVE  W4DRA

DAVE W4DRA

• 150 Posts
  • 30 Reply Likes
My speeds seem to be ok from install on the 2nd of this month. So far so good.  I have the Unlimited Gold 50 plan  on Viasat 2. Here are two screen shots...

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You should be fine on Viasat-2, at least for now. Never know what might happen in the future.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Bradley....@Vet

When I initially installed the drivers for this USB WiFi (AC1200 MU-MIMO USB 3.0 Adapter: EW-7822UTC), I may have installed 32 bit drivers instead of 64bit drivers....see result below which was done via this USB WiFi.  When tethering to desktop, Win7 uses 32bit drivers...never updated via Microsoft.

I built another Win7 desktop, identical to one I'm using, and noticed Networking (in Task Manager) indicated 300Mbps connection...before in this desktop, 160Mbps.  Interesting, the DL Speed is about 2x difference...faster.

Chances are, if tethered to Pepwave Surf SOHO, there may be better LAN speeds than your current setup.  But, if using WiFi currently, and if the Laptop/etc is using 64bit drivers, your speeds obtained may be max'ed out.  Hence, if 32bit drivers are being used, speeds will be slower, most likely.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2788 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Pretty sad when I'm better off taking my laptops and PS4 to work in order to do updates because my Viasat service at home is too damn slow.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@fmj77

Moved to a country location, and from 2000 to 2005, no home internet....but I surfed/etc at work place.  Usenet Hughes group was about "horror" stories...then came Wildblue in 2005.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Well, I could do it at home since my data resets today but at work I don't have to worry about counting gigabytes.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2788 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
I’m still on the Liberty Pass until Monday.

While I do enjoy getting high speeds during primetime after using up my priority data, it doesn’t make sense for people with 150 gb buckets of data to have slower speeds than me after I use up my 12 gb of data.

This company just doesn’t make sense anymore.

Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
Wow... bummer... you must have ViaSat.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2788 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
Doesn’t make a bit of sense. I pay $60 a month and get 9 mbps during primetime and no video downgrader.

Someone else pays $150 a month for 150 gb, is under their data limit and can’t even get 1 mbps during the evening.

I’ve said it many times. I don’t mind my speed dropping to 256 kbps during primetime after I’ve used up my 12 gb of priority data. That’s is the trade off for being on such a cheap plan. People who pay more than me deserve better.
(Edited)
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 185 Posts
  • 64 Reply Likes
Yes i'm on Viasat, this is on Liberty pass tho to be fair. But even during the day it is not much better since my beam has become so congested. 
Photo of J&J

J&J

• 1788 Posts
  • 1081 Reply Likes
And just think... They still claim you'll get between 1-5Mbps on the Liberty pass.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
They make sure to at words like "median" and typically.

J & J and Duku were two of Viasat's fan boys. Even Stephen's confidence has wavered.

Over a year ago I would have recommended Viasat also. But unless you are in one of their high density beam areas, I would recommend something else. How do you know if a high density beam? If you can get 50 or 100Mbps, and want to pay $150+/month, I think you will like it!
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1298 Posts
  • 424 Reply Likes
I never got between 1-5 on Liberty Pass. Ever.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2788 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
I left AT&T because I didn’t like their business practices. It’s already starting to feel like AT&T owns Viasat.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
AT & T made me mad too. Then they bought Directv. Cant win :(
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@ Stephen Rice

After Viasat bought Wildblue, I perceived VS's marketing folks used binoculars and watched the Wireless Carriers prices, for a number of years....then jumped on the variable pricing bandwagon, with no concern with what the market can afford, at least in the beam I use.  Then later have backed down on $100.00 basic plan in some beams.

I'm wondering what pricing is for those who come under Connect America Funding, in AL, AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, KY, LA, ME, MS, MT, NM, OR, PA, UT, WA, WI, WY, and WV.

August 29, 2018 Viasat will receive $122.5 million in U.S. federal subsidies through the Connect America Fund, and is tasked with providing internet access to more sites than any of the other funding recipients
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
My priority data reset today.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
Mine didn't.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1329 Posts
  • 435 Reply Likes
Lol feels good to join the civilized world.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3176 Reply Likes
I mean Viasat did have a map on its twitter feed about a year ago that showed 25Mbps across the continental United States.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1329 Posts
  • 435 Reply Likes
Apparently N.C. is not part of the continental US.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2803 Posts
  • 1454 Reply Likes
Can you hear me now?
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 438 Reply Likes
What?
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 187 Posts
  • 65 Reply Likes
My speeds while on Liberty pass have improved and working as intended now. Just want to be fair and honest in my tests as of late. I can deal with the speeds I get now and for the price I can't let it go, I have a few other options for internet but for more money than I pay now with Viasat. 

Been doing some repairs around the house so need all the money I can save atm. The prices on Lumber is not like I remember a few years ago! lol

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.