Latest speed

• Problem
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: old post

Like Stephen, I think I will have to post tests all the time, to show how bad Viasat's performance has gotten for me.

This is at 5:30pm!!!

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
And the ads say high speed reliable internet from Viasat, think they need to change that add to guaranteed slow speeds from Viasat with a chance of high speed. Only time I have good speeds now is free zone but soon as 6am hits it's 0.25 or under and then after 6pm it gets the hard hit with ping over 1k with little to no upload or download. I can understand when I am in Liberty pass after 6pm to be bad but not after 6am. Had to use my cell data to just pay bills today at 1pm cause speeds on Viasat was so slow.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 638 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
I'm sure their intent is to keep cranking the speed down, for everyone on the legacy unlimited and freedom plans, until they have driven everyone who are on those plans onto the more limited current plans.  Or until they have simply driven them away.  The reports of terrible speeds on the Liberty plans probably represent "collateral damage" from the draconian traffic shaping  algorithms in use!  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
If they drive me off my plan, they will lose me as a customer.

Michael McDowell

• 638 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
Do you have any viable alternative options? Other than the direct competition?
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3130 Posts
  • 2014 Reply Likes
Do  not click on the link from elina robin. Trouble will  most certainly find you.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1996 Posts
  • 1216 Reply Likes
elina robin's post....
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Liberty 12, not on Liberty Pass, Beam 329 (historically not a magic beam):

Pretty consistent with results since the changes that will drop in an hour or so to 7-8 Mbps. Daytime and free zone hours approach 18 Mbps .Not rubbing it in, just another perspective and waiting for the hammer to drop. Haven't had any Liberty Pass experience yet.
(Edited)
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 302 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Here is mine https://prnt.sc/mi5cgt Im on the 100 mbps plan $200 a month and Im well over 200gb of use with 15 days to go and so far the slowest speed in the evening has been 19 mbps so Im dropping dish network tv which cost $136 a month and getting a firestick for my tv! so I will be saving a little money! I just hope eventually they dont drop my speed low enough where I cant watch videos in the evening!
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
@mferner, good luck with that. You do realize cordcutting is not recommended for satellite internet users? Even Viasat will tell you that.
(Edited)
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 302 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Yeah well if they slow me down so I cant watch videos I will have to manage by 150gb better!
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
You would be wise to do that before it reaches critical mass - look what happened to those on Viasat-1 150GB plans - they are now subject to prioritization at all times behind those on limited plans, but since everyone on Viasat-2 appears to be unlimited nobody has an incentive to manage their data better (at least not until the spit hits the proverbial fan). Limited plan users on Viasat-1 have that incentive now.
(Edited)
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 302 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
I wish they slowed ppl based off plans instead of beam, If u paying $200 For up to 100MBPS  You shouldnt be slowed all the way down where you can't watch videos! If they gonna slow, slow down to 5 mbps not 1 mbps or lower! But Im gonna take advantage of the speed I get now in the evenings!

Michael McDowell

• 638 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
My speed has been crapola since they started this process!  Hasn't gotten to the point yet where I can't use it, since I don't try to stream video, but it is annoying trying to download a 50MB file that used to take just a few seconds and now can take as much as 4-5 minutes.  Even in the morning, a supposedly light usage time frame! 
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 374 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Pretty slow for me tonight also. How does one find out which beam they are on? I am in central PA, but no idea which beam number. I have also been having DNS issues for the last hour or so. Makes me wonder if this issue is land-based servers rather than the satellite itself.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
How does one find out which beam they are on?

Historically, those on Viasat-1 and older birds have eyeballed it using:

https://www.northlc.com/_images/beam_priority_map.png

However NRTC susbscribers, at least on Viasat-1, have access to it (and a lot more) on their account summary tab page (you have to hunt for it and expand some plus signs but there's alot more info that can be relevant including gateway) .

In addition, you might find some indication at:

http://192.168.100.1/messages

Find beamId, my log shows 129 and I suspect the log uses a slightly different numbering convention than that map - mine's 329 on the that map above, and U329DL on the footprint maps for Viasat-1 at https://www.satbeams.com/footprints

Or you could probably call and ask.

But the majority of these speed tests posted are useless for comparison purposes (apples vs. oranges) unless folks use the same test, follow the guidelines for that test on satellite, identify their satellite, beam, plan and current state of data usage threshold.

On testmy, the guidelines have been to do a manual test with a download file size of 13 MB and upload file size of 3 MB - might be greater for those on plans touted as greater than 12 Mbps - in addition, testing with an ethernet (wired) connection is recommended with no other activities other than the speed test in play on the the shared internet connection.

(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Hmmmm. There was another guy that was on here that was known for saying the same thing.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
I am the walrus, a pinniped - he was a quadraped.

So which of the following do you disagree with:

1. The method of determining one's beam?
  2. All speed test are not created equally and overall results when comparing two different one's may actually be measuring different things?
  3. That satellite, beam, plan and current state of data usage don't impact your speed test results and therefore comparison of your results with mine is somehow valid?
  4. Manually choosing a file size with testmy makes no difference or that a larger file size will yield more test in progress measurements as well as overcome the bias introduced as the test ramps up or down  (i.e. a greater sample and more balanced overall test)?
  5. That an ethernet connection is full duplex while WiFi is typically half duplex, not to mention identified issues with Viasat's "built-in wifi"?
  6. That other activities on internet connection don't eat into your shared shared  bandwidth? 
Or maybe the ones I forgot to mention and always controversial - a single isolated speed test demonstrates nothing; or a speed test probably doesn't reflect the reality of how you actually use the internet.

Asking for a friend.

Some of us are actually trying to gauge the overall impact of the policy changes on Viasat-1 with regard to Unlimited vs. Freedom vs Liberty vs Liberty Pass rather than simply from our own biased perspectives. Some of us are actually interested in broadening the discussion past the Viasat sucks stage.

But if you have the legacy Unlimited 150GB or Freedom plans, your options are clear now... change plans on Viasat-1, move to a plan on Viasat-2, or cancel without an ETF if applicable.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Um....ViaSat internet service sucks.

Personal experience;). No friends needed.

Wonder if positioning within a particular beam, equipment condition, weather, coaxial length, signal strength, etc. all matter too? Guess not eh?

If someone has been measuring speeds over time and now notices slower speeds and changes in speed patterns (ex: no fast early am speeds now), then that’s honestly good enough. Sometimes trying to look too smart will show the ignorance.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
I thought you were moving - spit or get off the pot;)

Sometimes not trying to understand just makes you look ignorant also. Not that there's anything wrong with that.

Ignorance can be corrected but as is said, you can't fix stupid.

What's your plan and how much data have you used? I'm guessing you're one who got nailed by the policy change and have yet to digest it. And yeah all those other things make a difference too but am assuming you know how to address those. So there's your reason why your speed suddenly got worse.

But at least we agree - we both can tell when speeds are slow for us without needing a speed test and our personal experiences are just that - personal.

But since you ask and feel it's relevant, very near edge of beam 329 (25 miles or so by the looks), equipment going on 7 years old and the old modem only, coax replaced some 2 years ago, new grounding block complaint with Viasat standards, 140 foot cable run, RxSNR 8.3 after last realignment and for some 6 years every installer kept telling me I'd never get over 7.0, clear weather,.... yada yada, yada  

How 'bout those Patriots?
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2759 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
I had a dream last night that the Saints played the Patriots and won.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Since you asked, I’m on Spectrum 200/10. Unlimited of course and truly unlimited at that. It rocks, but has its problems too. Recommend any particular speed test for cable? Seems pretty stable at 200Mbps.

Hard to go against the GOAT, but he will retire in time.

And yes, I’m moving and canceling by the end of March just as I said.

Doesn’t mean I won’t pop in to make sure you guys don’t get too big for your britches.

ViaSat satellite internet- perfect fit for the old man who lives with three cats.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Well it took you long enough - you were talking about it last year at this time.

Actually it was two dogs - note I said was. That's the problem with rescuing the seniors and hospices. For now I'm having an identity crsis - not that there's anything wrong with that.

And the imperfect fit for anyone wanting to compare it with cable. If I had cable I sure wouldn't be here.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
I think cable is as fair of a comparison as dialup.

I’ll try to make life happen faster next time. Like ViaSat classic unlimited plans, I just feel throttled at times and can’t go as fast as I would like to go.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Me too - otherwise I'd have two more dogs by now and for now will rely on my emotional support walrus... and Viasat of course at least until I can move into that new rest home offering high speed internet.
(Edited)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
May you enjoy your golden years with videos that don’t buffer in glorious HD. Heck maybe you will finally see what 4K streaming looks like. Pretty awesome.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
I could enjoy my golden years simply with videos that don't buffer in glorious 480p - except during free zone but I'm an early riser despite my advance years. For 4K I go to Walmart if one of the scooters up front is available - it's always the same programming but I'm also forgetful now so it doesn't matter; and the girl there is kind enough to turn up the volume for me. If no scooter is available, I just grab a donut at the entrance and head straight to the self checkout. Maybe I should try the online ordering and pickup. At least, I will enjoy my golden years. Don't sign up for Viasat at the new residence no matter how many road signs and commercials you see, or promises that are made - your experience should count for something.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2759 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
Back when I was a little boy, we used to go to Walmart to watch the Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles movie.
Photo of NVMe

NVMe

• 28 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Not sure which beam I'm on as I'm one of the people affected by the inability to select any modem tabs other than the status in 192.168.100.1, but I couldn't be happier

Beat's the heck out of HughesNet Gen 5

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1992 Posts
  • 1214 Reply Likes
You're on one of the high density spot beams.  Most customers can't get the service you can.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
You are correct.

I am pretty sure Gen 5 could out perform my speeds of 250kbps or so. Even Verizon prepaid on my slow tower can.
(Edited)
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Vetsat, how are your speeds during off peak hours?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
8.1Mbps at 5:30 this morning.

If my speed tests are not evidence of primetime congestion on a stuffed beam (or the results of deprioritation), I don't know what is.

So basically the service is unusable during primetime. That wasn't the case in December. Pretty safe bet whatever data management changes Viasat has made recently, it is adversely impacting a lot of customers. Again, I can deal with speeds as low as 500kbps. But when they get slower than that, that is not acceptable.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
I'm wondering if you might be having some hardware issues. I usually get 15Mbps or greater during off peak hours.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Yea. I never get speeds that high.

Hardware issues would suggest consistently bad speeds. That is not the case here.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
You can get high with a little help from your friends.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2762 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
It’s raining outside and I still have plenty of priority data left on Liberty 12.
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 374 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Slightly better than earlier, but still too slow to watch Netflix.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 374 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Slowly coming out of the abyss.
Photo of Brett Blackwell

Brett Blackwell

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Oh mine is just as good:
this result

I never had issues for the first 3 years of my tie with ViaSat. Now they are ducking people over to try to get an extra $25-50/mo from us. I will be looking at every other possible ISP option. Even DSL is better than this
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I am holding at 279kbps.

Wildblue back in 2006 beat this.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2762 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
What sad is, Viasat Liberty 12 is faster in my area than AT&T 18 mbps DSL.  Youtube used to buffer all the time when I was on AT&T.  No buffering for me anymore, even when I'm on the Liberty Pass.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
On my WiFi vs Ethernet tests, Ethernet tests were always faster.

With the Jetpack I have, a USB vs Wifi testing shows USB cable setup is about twice as fast. 

I installed a AC1200 Dual-Band MU-MIMO USB 3.0 Adapter tonight on Desktop computer, and its still slower than a USB cable setup.

Direct connections makes a difference....WiFi has decent download speeds, but takes a much larger hit on upload speed.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
These are my ethernet tests ;)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
Try a 1 MB upload on testmy.net....
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
All the way up to 418kbps @ 10:15.

#progress
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

The Party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It
was their final, most essential command.--George Orwell, 1984.

If you think the problem is bad now, just wait until we've solved it.
        -- Arthur Kasspe

Btw, your upload speed is 3.3x faster than original Wildblue basic plan, 512/128, iirc.

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Looks about like my speeds tonight , slow and in the toilet
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

I suspect your TRIA is history...Tx side has fizzled....Truck Roll
Photo of SonyaA

SonyaA

• 316 Posts
  • 76 Reply Likes
Its not congestion or hardware its Viasat I NEVER had slow speeds until this last email about priority data NOT ONCE not even during prime time.. Now I have speeds as slow as when I was on wild blue back in the day. Its them playing games to get more users on Viasat 2. Wanting more people on contracts also 
Photo of gabrit

gabrit

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
I am having the same problem, Basically unusable service for $100 a month. They have just improved DSL in my area so I will be switching and saving $60 a month. Viastat 2 is not available in my area,
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Good for you. Best of luck.
Photo of Brett Blackwell

Brett Blackwell

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'm out of the worst of it. Unfortunately, the NBA game I wanted to watch is over and my NBA League Pass I paid for looks like it will be useless for the rest of the year (assuming games are on at a normal time, between 6-10PM). Viasat...A+ rating by the BBB!

this result
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
That is like 8 times faster than what I was seeing.

You should be ecstatic :).
Photo of Brett Blackwell

Brett Blackwell

• 3 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
I'd be streaming the XXXX out of everything if I didn't have to get some sleep.
(Edited)
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 374 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Something has definitely changed for me in the last 24 hours. Last night was slow during prime time, but nothing unusual. However, I have always had decent speed early in the morning and through most of the day until about 5 PM. This morning however is as bad as last night during prime time.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 374 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
I did see your post. Looks like I am B314. Still very slow this morning. I called support for the first time. Just like all other call centers, pretty useless. Said there was no maintenance going on in my area. I was getting DNS failures yesterday afternoon and then very slow last night and now even slower this morning outside of prime time. The only think the support person told me which sounded plausible is that I am a “heavy” data user and she basically admitted that they will throttle such users more heavily as time goes on. So, I suspect month 1 was the honeymoon period and now I am in the “throttle the heavy user” mode. I may try either my old DSL or a Jetpack and get a load balancing router to integrate the two connections. That may be the best solution until my electric co-op gets their fiber system installed.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 374 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
And now magically it is back.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
On Liberty pass?
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 374 Posts
  • 97 Reply Likes
Yes. Mine renews on the 20th of each month and I run out about 9 days later. So, I am on Liberty pass for about 70% of each month. I have been out of data since January 29th.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
OK, I'm starting to wonder whether there's not some bug or something or a delay when coming out of the free zone while on Liberty pass or heading into it. Hopefully, there are some Viasat lurkers here that might be able to make sense of this.   
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

My hunch:

1.  TRIA
2.  CPE Equipment
3. SNAFU - Traffic Policy Glitch

I'd fetch a laptop and hook directly with Ethernet cable to Viasat's modem. During non-primetime, run speed tests.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
What do you think I do

I have told you how I do speed tests. With all variables the same, during primetime I see south of 500kbps. In the early morning I see speeds north of 8Mbps.

Now, what do you think is the cause of my slow speeds? It isn't the router, it isn't the computer, it isn't the tria. Otherwise, I would see consistently poor speeds.

Viasat has changed the way they are handling traffic management, and it is causing problems for a number of posters on here.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2759 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
Hasn’t been a problem for me.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

During Wildblue days...two TRIAs fizzled slowly...slowdowns in speeds...non primetime speeds were better, but primetimes were really bad.  Upload speed was the common denominator..which suggests a TX issue...but it could always be receiver or modem circuits....if your cable is intact.

IIRC, I think from forum speak, they can run some speed tests on their end

Do not put surge protection on cables.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Vetsat, looks like you're getting the double whammy of an oversold beam and the new traffic policy.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Correct. I have always had slower speeds on my beam (I am on the most congested beam Viasat has). These changes have made things worse.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Wouldn't hurt for you to call Viasat and complain about the company making your service worse. Who knows? Maybe they'll present you with a deal.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@fmj77

Beam 163 was locked out to new installs for several years...

When aircraft sales gained momentum, yes, those in flight paths got squeezed, and there were beams not opened to new installs.

If @Vet's equipment is fit for duty, I would suspect traffic programming SNAFU, unless VS-2's antenna glitch is related.

@Vet...what is TX value
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I am on Viasat-1, so 2 is not a factor.

The other thing fighting against me is very low RxSNR. Because I am extremely close to the beam edge (the other beam is less than 10 mile from me), my RxSNR is 5.5 to 6. And before you say that is awful low, a Viasat engineer personally looked at my neighbors' values. All were similar.

A stuffed beam and a low signal are no way to go through life, but that is what I got.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 893 Posts
  • 536 Reply Likes
Don't you have a pretty decent backup with a Verizon hotspot?
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

Each beam has a different polarity....VS-1's SNRs were lower than those seen on augmented beams.

I did ask about Tx Value, like Tx RF Power: 33.1 dBm
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@jab , if i changed the ip gateway on my hotspot from 192.168.1.1 to 196.168.1.2 now cant access the menu any more says to many redirects but internet works fine , has no reset button  on it , only in the menu im locked out of , any idas how to get back in ?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Tonight my Viasat speed came in at 487kbps.

My Verizon delivered 4.7Mbps on the same device.

It is good to have options.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 245 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
Yes, options are great. I have satellite as I have no other good options. If I did, I would use them.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Pretty sure ViaSat’s residential service model is based on the fact that the majority of subscribers are stuck. The only service they have to beat is HN. If they deceive a few dsl users along the way out of 24 months of premiums, all the better.

Michael McDowell

• 631 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
I just noticed that available plans for new subs in 46936 have changed from the 12 Mbps Unlimited to to the 12Mbps Liberty plans.  The only options for current subs are the 12 Mbps Liberty plans.  
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3092 Posts
  • 1983 Reply Likes
The Liberty plans are the best plans. Those Unlimited and Freedom plans just won't deliver usable speeds during times of heavy usage by other subscribers with the new data plan restrictions.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
This is what they will get wirh Liberty if they sigh on.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
This is what I get on Liberty right now (not on Liberty Pass):

https://testmy.net/bavCsZt08.png

(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2667 Posts
  • 1395 Reply Likes
Whats strange, is that my beam doesn't seem to be taking new subscribers on Viasat 1.  I am on a magic beam that doesn't suffer from network congestion.

When I check my account for available plans, it simply says to call to discuss options and that is it.  That's a pretty big indication that they want to move everyone from my beam onto Viasat 2.

When I check plans as a new subscriber, every plan that comes up appears to be Viasat 2 plans.  I know this because Gold 50 and Platinum 100 are available.

So for whatever reason, Viasat doesn't seem to be accepting new subscribers on my magic Viasat 1 beam.  It doesn't make a bit of sense because on my beam, Liberty 12 works pretty dang good all of the time, even after using up my priority data.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Like me you must be old and live with 3 cats - or so I was told ;)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2667 Posts
  • 1395 Reply Likes
Lately it doesn't seem to matter if I have priority data left of if I am on the Liberty Pass.  I routinely get speeds from 1 to 12 mbps (sometimes higher) on the Liberty Pass, even during prime time.

I currently have priority data left and my speed is 18.5 mbps.  I never had speeds this fast when I was on AT&T dsl out here in the country.

(Edited)
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Just think what you could get with a Hilton Honors Aspire Card ;)

But I suspect those Liberty Pass speeds won;t hold up once they figure out the bug ;)
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2667 Posts
  • 1395 Reply Likes
Another thing to add, is Viasat/Exede plans have come a long way.  

When I originally signed up with Exede I was on a plan that had something like 10 GB of data with a very hard thottle and a late night free zone from 12 am to 5 am.

When you ran out of priority data, there was a hard throttle whether the network was congested or not.  My connection ALWAYS slowed down to 256 kbps after I used up my data.  There was no such thing as the Liberty Pass with speeds above 1 mbps.

Thanks to the Liberty Pass, I can still use my internet connection for business during the day without any real interruption to service.  Up until now, I only experienced slow downs during primetime after using my data.

Whatever hocus pocus is going on with my beam now has me routinely getting speeds above 1 mbps, even when I am on the Liberty Pass.

Providing things don't change and Viasat cheat me out of my contract, I may very well keep the service even if cable comes along.  A price lock of $60 a month is pretty hard to beat for "unlimited" service.

Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2667 Posts
  • 1395 Reply Likes
I don't expect the current Liberty Pass speeds to hold during primetime, but they very well might since Viasat seems to be shifting new subscribers to Viasat 2, even in my area.  The less people on my beam, means the more bandwidth for me.

I've had the Hilton card before and have racked up a lot of bonus points.  I've since canceled the card.  I wouldn't mind getting it again, but I think there is a limit to how many bonuses Amex will allow.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I have it Stephen. I think I pay $400/year for the privilege. But it kicks with a lot of perks.

Speaking of perks, can I refer you so I get the referral bonus???
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2667 Posts
  • 1395 Reply Likes
I'll have to get back with you on that later.  Like I said, I've already had the sign up bonus once so I don't think I qualify again.  I'm not too keen on paying $400 a month, but I heard one of the nice perks about some Amex cards is the free travel insurance.  It seems like every time I leave the country, I pay $100 for travel insurance anyway..

I try to abuse cards by churning through the sign up bonuses.  Right now I've got a Choice credit card which I plan to cancel after I get the sign up bonus.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
$400/year not month.

But you are right. With the perks it pays itself off pretty good. $200 or so in airline credits for baggage fees, etc., a free weekend night (that alone could be worth $400+ in NYC), and then the points really stack.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2667 Posts
  • 1395 Reply Likes
My mistake. I meant $400 a year.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
For a moment I thought you were quoting Viasat's price increase for those on a magic beam.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2667 Posts
  • 1395 Reply Likes
I wouldn't be surprised if AT&T ends up buying the residential side of Viasat.  

Back in the DSS satellite television days,the programming on those small satellite dishes were provided by two companies.  USSB provided mostly Viacom content and premium channels such as HBO.  Directv provided the rest of the cable tv networks.

Eventually Directv bought out USSB and now AT&T owns Directv.

I'd like to think that AT&T will try to buy up the whole Viasat company, but at a minimum the residential business will at least be bought out since it simply isn't profitable compared to the big government contracts.

I don't know why I am rambling about that.  I guess the price increases brought it on.  With the current Viasat business model you get to pay more money for less service unless you are lucky and grandfathered in on an older plan with a contract that evidently means nothing.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
That’s not rambling. It’s actually one of the more insightful posts you’ve done :)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
When a company makes unilateral changes to your plan and tells you if you dont like it you can cancel, that tells you how motivated they are to retain you as a customer.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@ Stephen Rice....DSS satellite television days

Analog DBS services existed before DSS, and AT&T was involved in IPPV (Impulse Per Per View), which used a digital means to authorize unscrambling a channel.  This digital authorization tech created the underpinnings for cellphones today.  Videocipher used digital tech for authorization.

Tidbits - Within the years of the change of signal scrambling from VC II to VCII+, DirecTV began to take on many former C band VideoCipher subscribers and illegal receivers of programming. Many who were involved with providing illegal VideoCipher II programming moved over to hacking and providing users illegal access to the (at the time) new RCA based MPEG-2 digital satellite subscription service.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Let's take a trip down memory lane to last years predictions ;)

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/my-predictions-for-2018-2019-plan-pricing

But Stephen did nail Liberty 12, not all that far off with Unlimited on some beam's still promotional pricing... and Steve Frederick is still the winner of the chicken dinner.
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2667 Posts
  • 1395 Reply Likes
The predictions I made for plan pricing is exactly what would have happened, had Viasat 2 not been a bust.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
How about when Viasat's twitter feed showed 25Mbps nationwide?

Their own prediction was a bust.
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Appears they were basing that prediction off of Stephen's at the very end of that conversation, either that or they didn't temper their expectations.

Nostradamus pretty much nailed it over there when I asked him last year:

http://www.getodd.com/stuf/nostradamus.html

P.S. I went back to the expert and asked him again this year and got:

This does not bode well for Liberty plan subscribers as Viasat-1 crashes and burns causing a global drought and regardless some people will still water their lawns, but as the last line says... I could be wrong and maybe he's talking about Philly. Not that there's anything wrong with that.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Viasat's next satellite will be called "Lucy", and will use diamonds to deliver 100Mbps nationwide.  That is if James Bond doesn't get to the diamonds first!
Photo of Oliver

Oliver

• 307 Posts
  • 103 Reply Likes
For those who can't access modem config page when hitting 192.168.100.1 try adding :8080 to the end to change access port on modem for web UI. 192.168.100.1:8080
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes

I am pluggin away today at 800kbps.

In the middle of the night I was at 16Mbps+.

I guess that is all about the median speed of 12Mbps.  LOL

And apparently my tria knows the time of day because it must be failing to product slower speeds during the day.  Couldn't be any other reason could it :)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

I was on 512/128 plan....TRIA was fizzling out, most likely, on uplink

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Sure.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@VET

Do upload tests...not download
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
1Mbps. As I expected.

Yes I can upload faster than I can download. How is that for an oxymoron.
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1160 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet

When VS-1 arrived, I believe 12Mbps/3Mbps throughput was typical.  I'm not aware of uploads being throttled, but its possible Viasat shifted frequencies so upload frequencies were narrower. 

If all VS-1 users are seeing 1Mbps or less, then no issue with your TRIA on uplink side.  But, if at any time 3Mbps upload is not possible, then a Truck Roll might be relevant.  From my experiences with a failing TRIA, primetime suck badly...in non-primetimes, speeds were up again, on download side.

My uploads, on augmented beam, are higher, but I may be sharing upload bandwidth with aircraft.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I miss the old forum...
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2757 Posts
  • 1435 Reply Likes
I’m a Viasat shill.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
A lot of discussion on speeds and leaving Viasat because of the recent unilateral plan changes.

It seems like a number of customers are finding the unlimited wireless mifi plans a reasonable alternative. This of course was triggered by the plan changes. If Viasat left well enough alone, this wouldn't have happened. Maybe they want to get customers off the "unlimited" and Freedom plans, IDK, but how often does a company try to drive subscribers away. Weird.

I have looked at the wireless alternative myself. I already have a mifi device. Just not "unlimited". Unfortuantely, I can't financially justify it unless I drop Viasat, and even then I would only save about $30/month. While I would love to test the unlimited wireless plan, I just dont think it will work for me. Oh well. There is always Hughesnet.

Shout out to Andy. Hope you are doing well with your testing on alternatives!
(Edited)
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
@Vet...test the unlimited wireless plan

Ah, they have problems too:
Disconnect / no internet after ~925 MB combined DL/UL

But, one solution: "As recommended by ddennis and VZW support I went to a corporate store today and had them disconnect/reconnect the mifi account (w a new SIM)."
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2762 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
(Ignore)
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Mine is bigger than yours.

Chicks dig it too.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
That's awesome!

High speed, low latency, low cost, unlimited.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2000 Posts
  • 1217 Reply Likes
Not bad for 10:00PM.  Granted, I don't normally post my tests, and when I have I've nearly immediately gone back and deleted them, but I'll leave it this time.   

Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1281 Posts
  • 416 Reply Likes
Ah, it has its problems too. Nothing I can’t live with. Remember I was told $5000 something to run it to my satellite service only house. Asked who to make the check payable to, they backed out.

It is cool though to have the ability to stream, download Xbox games and play them, and do it all without latency and fear of caps. I really hope LEOs save the day for people who won’t/can’t move and have no other options.

Heck Gabe, I might have saved building a house if HN could deliver that for me.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
And they dont even have the newer satellite!

I am sure a Viasat-2 high density spot beam can achieve those speeds and more. Finding those beams can be a challenge though!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2000 Posts
  • 1217 Reply Likes
I've been pretty lucky with the three satellites I've been on over the years.  I'm definitely on the upper end of what one might get with Gen5.  But, like ViaSat, it's location, location, location.  Many others aren't nearly as lucky.  :(    
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2762 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
My 12 mbps Viasat connection can do everything your 41.7 mbps Hughesnet connection can with one added bonus. 

Every time I share my speed, the Veteran blows a fuse in his head.  Can't get that with Hughesnet!
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2000 Posts
  • 1217 Reply Likes
I don't know if that's a good thing, but yes, it does do that.  
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1968 Posts
  • 1206 Reply Likes
That's terrible.  That's not enough speed to do many of the most basic online tasks.  
Photo of Jab

Jab

• 1158 Posts
  • 164 Reply Likes
I have USB WiFi and Ethernet connected to same desktop computer...I just have to switch them in Network Settings.  I just ran these tests.  WiFi has good signals since router is about 7 feet away

WiFi

Ethernet Up

WiFi

Ethernet
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Well last post on speeds, seems Liberty pass is a thing of the past for me now. Will be calling to send back my equipment soon. Hope everyone has better luck with there internet or find a better opportunity. I will check in on here to see how things are once in a while.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1992 Posts
  • 1214 Reply Likes
That's better than 25Kbps!

Sorry, I couldn't resist. :)

I'm actually surprised that GetSat didn't time out with 25Kbps.  SMH.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
What are you going to use as Internet Terry?
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
Going to use my phone data it comes with 25gb. Total wireless and it will only add $20 to my phone bill so around $45 I will be saving $40 by using it.
Photo of Terry Hill

Terry Hill

• 184 Posts
  • 62 Reply Likes
If Viasat would at least give me 1mbps on liberty pass that would be fine but not something so slow you can't use it ya know. And the way they are treating other customers to is wrong so I would rather spend my money elsewhere. And I do understand that during the night will be slow but not during the morning.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I can't say I don't disagree with you. The unilateral plan changes just seem wrong, even if a company has the right to do it doesn't make it right.

Michael McDowell

• 638 Posts
  • 240 Reply Likes
Yeah....they could have at least been upfront about it and explained it BEFORE it happened!  Instead, they tried to bury it by breaking it up into different documents  and making everybody come here and compare stories and try to figure out what was happening!
Photo of lyle1968

lyle1968

• 3 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I've been with exede/viasat since 2012 and never had problems. My speeds were always between 15 and 50 mbps. Great for streaming. Problems started after receiving this email in early January.

From time to time, Viasat makes updates to policies that impact our customers' service. We recently updated our Network Management Policy and the terms of service for your Freedom 150 GB - Boost 25 + WiFi service plan and we want to explain what these mean to you.

Network Management Policy

Bandwith Usage Policy

What do the updated policies mean for you?

Your current service plan (Freedom 150 GB - Boost 25 + WiFi) offers download speeds up to 25 Mbps. This update clarifies that this is the median speed you should expect, when measured across all 24 hours in a day for these service plans. This means you should expect that half the time you see speeds that are faster than 25 Mbps, and half the time speeds that are slower than 25 Mbps.The monthly price on your current service plan will not change.Speeds during busy periods (typically in evening hours of each day) may be well below 25 Mbps, regardless of how much data you use. Your service plan does not have a strict data allowance. When you use more than 150 GB in your monthly billing period, your service speeds will be slower than what you experienced when using less than 150 GB.

What are your options?

Do nothing: You can continue receiving the service as described above and you don’t need to do anything.Change your service plan: If you would like to switch to a new monthly service plan, you may do so at any time. We don’t charge any fees to switch your service plan and we will not require a new two-year minimum service term to change plans. Simply login to your account athttps://account.viasat.com and select the plan you wish to switch to. When you switch, your new plan may have different terms of service than the plan you are currently on. Please read the plan details closely before you make your choice.

Sincerely,

Viasat Internet

The difference between the old agreement and this one is the median (average) speed in 24 hours.

Now in the evening I'm lucky to get over 1mbps and this is because of so many people using data at the same time, that is a bunch of BS.
I've done my speed tests around 4:30pm and I get between 45 and 50 mbps. Then I do it again around 5:00pm and it's less than 1mbps.
The $1308.00 this company gets from me a year is over.

NET NEUTRALITY NOW!!!!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.