Laid off for COVID19? Viasat doesn't care!

• Problem
  • Updated 2 months ago
  • (Edited)
I pay over $170 / mo for "Um-limited" plan which throttles me after 100Gb which is 1/100th of the data a $60/mo Comcast plan would give you. I'm a bartender laid off when EVERY RESTAURANT IN FL WAS ORDERED TO CLOSE so I called Billing to ask if they could give me a couple weeks to pay the bill since, you know, WE'RE EXPERIENCING A GLOBAL EMERGENCY and their response was "Sorry". I've never been late paying my EXTORTIONATE $170 a month bill but they "absolutely cannot" give me a couple weeks to figure out how to pay them? WHAT A JOKE OF A COMPANY. Rest assured I will be contacting the state and federal governments to report them. THIS COMPANY IS A SCAM FROM THE START AND NOW THEY DON'T GIVE A **** IF YOU'RE OUT OF WORK LIKE FOUR MILLION OTHER AMERICANS.
Photo of Jay

Jay

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • PISSED OFF!

Posted 2 months ago

Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 777 Posts
  • 774 Reply Likes
Maybe you should call back and pint out to them that Viasat has joined the FCCs Keep Americans Conencted initiative and pledged for 60 data to:

1. Not terminate service to any residential or small business customers because of their inability to pay their bills due to the disruptions caused by the coronavirus pandemic;
  2. Waive any late fees that any residential or small business customers incur because of their economic circumstances related to the coronavirus pandemic; and
  3. Open its Wi-Fi hotspots to any American who needs them.
If that doesn't work, viasatlistens@viasat.com

This is what happens when you outsource administrative functions such as billing and tech support to incompetent third parties.

(Edited)
Photo of Tina Bacon-Meriweather

Tina Bacon-Meriweather

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
So I called to see if I could get some type of increasing data usage based on the fact that I have five children and a daughter that are now homeschooling from home and she’s working from home and the company said no so I will be canceling as soon as my contract is up because their service actually has sucked since I got itI already paid $125 a month and customer service suggested that I go up to the highest package what would cost me about 180 I must’ve lost the Flippin mines
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2438 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Probably better off paying yet cancelation fee and moving on. You will be better off in the long run and perhaps save money.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 844 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
When is the public school system going to realize a lot of people in the USA do not have hardwired broadband? When will they get in touch with the real world?
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2438 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
If people and government don't realize that now, they never will.
Photo of Lee Herring

Lee Herring

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Homeskillet, call your local school board member. I'm a teacher in a largely rural area in TN. My school has spent the last week putting packets together to send home to kids. Parents are picking up this morning (which is still a REALLY bad idea in the current state of things). We do realize the futility of our efforts, but we have to do something. Something's got to change where internet tech is concerned. I need to be able to video conference with other staff and have to go in to our building to do so because of Viasat not finding a solution for folks to be able to work from home.
Photo of Larry Wolff

Larry Wolff

• 13 Posts
  • 10 Reply Likes
They are the worst, while most every one in the world is giving people a break during this so called crisis, taxes, rent, mortgages and so on. What do they do? throttle my download to .3 Unusable. counting the days until my contract is up.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 844 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
This is what happens when you outsource administrative functions such as billing and tech support to third parties.

I thought they brought all that stuff back in house after I left Viasat, although the offices are in Mexico they still were managed by Viasat. True or false? I know when I used to call tech support I got someone in a grass hut in a 3rd world country reading off a script. Even after I told them I had reset my modem before I called they would start telling me the procedure of how to reset a modem.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 776 Posts
  • 773 Reply Likes
It's operated by a third party - tier 1 support, that is.
(Edited)
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2437 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
You get what you pay for!
Photo of Stan N Dorothy

Stan N Dorothy

• 30 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Viasat is a joke is why I left
Photo of dadu7058

dadu7058

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
ExSatUser and Stan N Dorothy... You get what you pay for?  I pay plenty for an unlimited plan AND if you left VIASAT, what did you change to that is so much better?  Please do share as many of us in rural America would like a better solution.   I am on the edge of my chair awaiting your informed answer. 
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 776 Posts
  • 773 Reply Likes
Stan n Dorothy moved.
ExSatUser went cellular
I supplement Viasat with cellular but it required investing in a signal booster and a ton of reasearch.

None of which may be viable options for you.
(Edited)
Photo of gm92066

gm92066

• 138 Posts
  • 56 Reply Likes
I left Viasat for a wireless broadband provider, that has been expanding their coverage of rural San Diego county. They have the following plans:

Basic                              up to 5.0 mbps         $40.00 per month (special offer only)

Standard                        up to 15 mbps          $60.00 per month

Premier                          up to 25 mbps          $90.00 per month

I chose the standard plan, no installation charge, no equipment lease fee, no contract, no data caps, no stupid billing system, no payment method on file requirement. Been with them since the middle of December, paid my first bill in February, speeds have been good, slowing some in the last week, like the rest of the internet. This the greatest thing to come our way, I am a very happy customer. This company is the complete opposite of Viasat. Much better option than the Verizon or AT&T fixed wireless plans. I hope everyone can get service like this soon.

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2437 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
My get what you pay for comment wasn't directed to the consumer, it was directed to Viasat who outsourced its customer support to a third party.

One of the reasons I dropped Hughesnet over a decade ago was because Viasat had better customer support (i.e. not in India). Eventually though, sadly Viasat followed that path.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 844 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
ExSat, I clearly thought your comment was directed at Viasat, I guess some people didn't. I seriously wonder how much companies save a month per customer using 3rd world country customer support compared to domestic? I used to get a kick out of asking them where they were at and many try to give an ambiguous answer.

The ones working for E-bay are trained to parrot: We are a company based in San Jose, California. The E-bay ones never give a helpful answer when I call them and seem completely lost. I think some of those call centers are hiring people they pluck out of villages that haven't even been exposed to the modern world. They are not fit to be doing tech support. I bet some of them had never been in the same room as a computer before they got a call center job.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 844 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
ExSat, I clearly thought your comment was directed at Viasat, I guess some people didn't. I seriously wonder how much companies save a month per customer using 3rd world country customer support compared to domestic? I used to get a kick out of asking them where they were at and many try to give an ambiguous answer.

The ones working for E-bay are trained to parrot: We are a company based in San Jose, California. The E-bay ones never give a helpful answer when I call them and seem completely lost. I think some of those call centers are hiring people they pluck out of villages that haven't even been exposed to the modern world. They are not fit to be doing tech support. I bet some of them had never been in the same room as a computer before they got a call center job.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 776 Posts
  • 773 Reply Likes
What an absurd pantload of xenophobic bs

The weakness of outsourcing is not whether it's onshore or offshore. It lies more in that outsourcers don't have a direct vested interest in the company they represent and simply stick to the scripts provided.

Outsourcing is cheaper than hiring employees and paying benefits, ssa, Medicare, etc. - even more so if offshore.
(Edited)
Photo of dadu7058

dadu7058

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I value the clarification and now the "get what you pay for" is clearly understood as the off-shoring of customer service and tech support.  Yes.  I was equally frustrated with Viasat customer relations in a chat back about ten days ago that was simply a "cut-n-paste" from a script which can be expected with the overload of users contacting their service.  For twenty years, I am 40 miles from Cincinnati, OH and from a broadband perspective, I might as well live in the middle of a desert.  I would not trade the tranquility of rural living for anything.  There is a public/private project in my township that is installing Fiber Optic cable, and that will, One Day, enable residents of this rural community to cut the ties with providers like Viasat. 
Photo of dadu7058

dadu7058

• 3 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I value the clarification and now the "get what you pay for" is clearly understood as the off-shoring of customer service and tech support.  Yes.  I was equally frustrated with Viasat customer relations in a chat back about ten days ago that was simply a "cut-n-paste" from a script which can be expected with the overload of users contacting their service.  For twenty years, I am 40 miles from Cincinnati, OH and from a broadband perspective, I might as well live in the middle of a desert.  I would not trade the tranquility of rural living for anything.  There is a public/private project in my township that is installing Fiber Optic cable, and that will, One Day, enable residents of this rural community to cut the ties with providers like Viasat. 
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2437 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Which direction from Cincinnati? I know it would have to be something other than north. My guess is you are east or west.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 844 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
What an absurd pantload of xenophobic bs

You sure make a lot of assumptions, maybe you should do some research before running your mouth. Their are plenty of people bused into cities from villages who stay in dorms to work in 3rd world countries. A lot of these people have not been exposed to the modern world, coming from farming villages, therefore they are starting off way behind the learning curve.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2437 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
True. This virus gets to third world countries without as good of health care, it us not going to be pretty. But might be too hot close to the equator to spread that much in countries in those areas.
(Edited)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 776 Posts
  • 773 Reply Likes
Do your own research on which self-professed global leader in customer experience management Viasat utilizes. Here let me get you started.

https://www.wildbluetools.com/content/dealer/examiner/pdfs/ExedeExaminer_Issue12_q1_2017.pdf

We ain't talking healthcare here but rather customer service. If you want some additional info on how Viasat operates I suggest a search engine (try one that looks like a Duck and acts like a Duck and the Go there) - can't really help you on what search phrase to use if looking for Viasat Retailer Support or Viasat Technician Guides. The come back and we can talk facts rather than your assumptions.
(Edited)
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 844 Posts
  • 423 Reply Likes
I do not care. Do you have Trump Derangement Syndrome? You seem to come unhinged on people out of nowhere. Mentioning xenophobia for no good reason is kind of a dead giveaway.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 776 Posts
  • 773 Reply Likes
Nothing could be further from the truth - but nice try at deflection. You don't care and aren't willing to do the research -  hit us with another brain fart. 
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2982 Posts
  • 1603 Reply Likes
The sky is blue.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 2437 Posts
  • 1442 Reply Likes
Water is wet.