Kaspersky Identifies Viasat Browser Update as Virus!

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
To Browser Guys.

Viasat browser updated recently.
My Kaspersky anti-virus software identifies the components of this update as being infected.
Here is today's Kaspersky report on this virus activity.

You can read this report better by clicking on it.
What is the truth?
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 165 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Tony Smith

Tony Smith

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Same symptom,  Spybot didn't find anything, but screen is black ....

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3039 Posts
  • 1952 Reply Likes
Try going into the settings/system and turn off the hardware accelerator
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Tony,

As Steve suggests, the black screen symptom isn't a virus but rather a conflict with your graphic adapter's capabilities. Appears something changed in the latest Viasat Browser release. More discussion on how to work around that issue can be found at (reported by another user a couple days ago):

https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/my-screen-has-gone-black-and-cannot-recover

M.E.M.

I agree with Bev that Kapersky is throwing up a false positive and have scanned it with my weapons, which show no issues.   

(Edited)
Photo of Tony Smith

Tony Smith

• 4 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
P.S.   I did a system restore, twice....nuttin, still doing the same thing.   Now THATS some virus.

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
It isn't a virus, just new files that your AV is unsure about. Norton, F-secure and eAccelleration AV programs are fine with it, no virus.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 695 Posts
  • 425 Reply Likes
This is why I've mainly stuck with Firefox and regular Chrome. Too many issues with the Viasat browser.
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 165 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
It appears to be a real virus. My Viasat browser will not open so I am now using Firefox.
Kaspersky identifies the culprit as mini_installer-CI_20750.exe, which is located in the Viasat browser files.

I do not find any information when I google this file.

DavidBrowserGuy, welcome back from vacation. Please respond to this issue.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
https://browser.viasat.com/faq#my-antivirus-is-trying-to-block-viasat-browser!-what-should-i-do

or email direct (he's probably catching up to his inbox ;)

https://browser.viasat.com/faq#i-don%27t-see-my-question-listed.-what-should-i-do

However, it's the installer being blocked and mini-installer is the name given to the base chromium installer. Projects that rely on Chromium also rely on the installer and likely develop their own naming conventions for it to distinguish between other product installers. If Kapersky keeps deleting it without giving an option to allow it, not sure how it can be installed short of disabling Kapersky temporarily to install or an option/setting that prompts to delete or not.

(Edited)
Photo of M.E.M.

M.E.M.

• 165 Posts
  • 73 Reply Likes
Thanks OL.
I uninstalled the Viasat browser for now. That seemed to eliminate the Kaspersky issue.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3170 Reply Likes
Put that EXE file on the Kaspersky exception list. Then you would be fine using the browser with the anti virus.
Photo of DavidBrowserGuy

DavidBrowserGuy, Browser Expert

• 122 Posts
  • 82 Reply Likes
Sorry all for the late response.  Kaspersky is incorrectly identifying the Viasat Browser's installer as a virus.  We have contacted Kaspersky and asked them to fix this, but so far, they have not been able to resolve the issue.  In the meantime, we can only suggest that users either temporarily disable Kaspersky A/V while installing or upgrading or try a different A/V product.
(Edited)