Just used up data

• Problem
  • Updated 11 months ago
  • Acknowledged

Out of data as of 1:30 today. Noticed immediate change. Increable how “congestion” just happened to kick just now.
Photo of Bill Ross

Bill Ross

• 42 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes

Posted 11 months ago

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2094 Posts
  • 1266 Reply Likes
Your speed dumped because of congestion on top of an already throttled speed, and you know that.  You've been told this time and time again.   A new name doesn't change that.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2788 Posts
  • 1451 Reply Likes
Do the same speed test at 5 am and get back with us.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2183 Reply Likes
"Out of data as of 1:30 today."

Good.  More speed for us!
Photo of Bill Ross

Bill Ross

• 42 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
My point was that, I’ve been trying to figure out is how do you get two very different speeds on the same beam when moving from priority to trash.
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3131 Posts
  • 2015 Reply Likes
It is just the way network management is configured. If you use all of your priority data, you go to the back of the line.
Photo of John Postizzi

John Postizzi

• 34 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
Maybe you misunderstand how it works, Viasat throttles you after you reach your data limit. Period. It does not matter if there is more bandwidth available on your beam at that time.
You said "Out of data as of 1:30 today. Noticed immediate change. Increable how “congestion” just happened to kick just now." No, congestion did not change at 1:30. The only change was throttling.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
If you're on a Liberty Plan and I believe you are from your past posts, you are throttled to a maximum speed of some where around 5 Mbps for the remainder of the month, However and this is the important part, you are also prioritized behind any any all other subscribers on your beam. The cumulative effect of both throttling and prioritization behind other subscribers  yield dismal speeds during severely congested periods - you spend most of your time at then end of the line.  As noted by Ronald below there are different levels of congestion over which Viasat has no direct control - you, I and everyone else determine when we want to use the Internet and most choose to use it home when they aren't working. As Ronald also points out, when you haven't exceeded priority data you probably don't notice minor congestion but it becomes noticeable during severely congested periods.

Use the free zone with no throttling or use off peak periods (in the past Viasat has suggested 1 -5 Mbps is possible during off peak periods while on Liberty Pass and that has been my experience this assume no or minor levels of congestion)   - happens to all of us including me on Liberty Plans when we exceed our priority data and go into Liberty Pass mode and are both throttled and (de)prioritized.

Unlimited plans however only suffer the effects of prioritization without throttling (except for detected video streams).

Other classic plans have an even harder throttle on exceeding the data usage allowance but they also have an extended free zone period (except for Freedom snd don't even ask about Evolution because nobody knows how that works).
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2763 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
It’s kinda of funny how Bill used up his priority data as if 1:30 but didn’t bother to do a screen shot of a speed test at the time. Instead he waited until 9:30 pm when the network is most congested to make a screen shot.
(Edited)
Photo of Mr.Anderson

Mr.Anderson

• 95 Posts
  • 28 Reply Likes
it's magic.  Why o why did I switch from the Evolution plan.  everything was great for a while, no complaints, then everything started to slow down.  I would be happy again if viasat just added a freezone package onto the Unlimited plan, or created some sort of peak / off peak data usage setup.   Sort of like "some" power companies do, they reward you for using electricity during off peak hours.
I am just saying they could be way more creative on how the network is setup now and make more people happy. 
Photo of Bill Ross

Bill Ross

• 42 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Exactly, I don’t think that conjestion is a thing, this was my point. Viasat probably uses that as a cover up to throttle speeds and have customers purchase new data to go back to the “front of the line.” I’m not saying that’s bad but if true is a bit of a shady business practice if selling out that it’s conjestions fault.

And Stephen- I’m not at home at 1:30pm to do my tests. I get home from work just in time to go on my slow crap. Funny how that works.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, a lot of us only get home during primetime. Hence, that is why it is slower.

Just wait until next month. The system notoriously grinds to a snails pace for many of us duri g the holidays.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2004 Posts
  • 1221 Reply Likes
Exactly, I don’t think that conjestion is a thing, this was my point. Viasat probably uses that as a cover up to throttle speeds and have customers purchase new data to go back to the “front of the line.”
Congestion is very real, and it absolutely does affect the service.  It's not a cover up.  Do the math. 

The VS1 satellite has a capacity "in excess of" 140Gbps.  So, let's say it's 144Gbps.  I don't know exactly how many spot beams it has, as different places give different numbers, but it supposedly has 72 total, with 63 being over the US and nine being over Canada.  With all things being equal, which they certainly aren't, at 72 spot beams that's 2000Mbps per beam.  So, let's say you're on spot beam A, and so are 3000 other people.  Let's say half of them are using the net at the same time during the evening.  Again, with all things being equal, that's 1.33Mbps for each.  But, remember, some people are out of data.  Some people are trying to stream at 3Mbps.  Some people are trying to download files as their top possible speed.  2000Mbps only goes so far.  So how much bandwidth each person is actually using varies greatly.  If everyone on our theoretical beam A wants to get 12Mbps at a given time, then the maximum number of people that can be on that beam at that given time is about 167 people.  Yes, 167 people.  THAT'S congestion.  

That's a VERY basic example, and there may very well be automatic systems in place that dynamically shift available capacity from gateway to gateway and beam to beam.  And, of course, different beams may have different capacities, and the number of people online at a given time, and what those people are doing, varies greatly.  But, again, 144Gbps, or 144,000Mbps, only goes so far.  Again, that's congestion, and it's very real.  
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Ross

Bill Ross

• 42 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
These people are sharing the beam though. People who are on priority don’t get throttled and if you ain’t then your being throttled.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2004 Posts
  • 1221 Reply Likes
Throttling and congestion are two entirely different things.  Throttling is intentional. Congestion is caused by network strain, as has been explained.  Two different things.   

Congestion affects everyone, and to varying degrees because of beam or gateway load, but if you're already throttled the effects of congestion will be more pronounced.  
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2763 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
My nose normally gets congested this time of the year.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
"Viasat probably uses that as a cover up to throttle speeds and have customers purchase new data"
But you can't buy more data on the "unlimited" plans, so...
And we have already established that the reincarnated bill ross won't and/or can't understand any of this stuff.
(Edited)
Photo of Bill Ross

Bill Ross

• 42 Posts
  • 12 Reply Likes
Jim, look that has an outrageous price, once again.
Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 53 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Bill, There are a nearly unlimited number of features that can be applied to cranky, noisy and at times thoroughly ticked users. (Yes that describes me) I've seen speeds less than 13kbps when I get really noisy and bring out my personal viasat animal. Here is  mascot pic; Snailbut I truly wish it was more like the Aardvark. ((ain't she gorgeous). ((below pic)))
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2180 Reply Likes
Smoke 'em if you got 'em...
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2763 Posts
  • 1436 Reply Likes
If you ain’t got em, then you hit rock bottom.
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 328 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
They have no bottom level quality of service on the unlimited plans. There is congestion at periods thru out the day and alot of times you won't notice. While everyone is going to notice 0.14 kbps, you won't notice when there is minor congestion and your speed drops from say 12 mbps to 9 mbps. When you use all your data however the deprioritization stacks with the congestion that nine becomes 2 or even lower, depending on the time of day.