Just stopping by to say my fairwell to Viasat

• Idea
  • Updated 4 months ago
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members.

After 3 years with Viasat, I have cancelled my service and moved to a wireless internet service that is less expensive and has a true unlimited plan. I was with Hughes for 4 years, then switched to Viasat because of the great Freedom 150GB plan. That worked just fine for me until Viasat changed their data policy on those 150GB plans, I was getting speeds down in the 1 to 3 Mbps most of the time after the change, even when I had only used a few GB. I was happy with the Freedom plan but then Viasat decided to destroy it to the point it became useless.

I wish all of my friends and the moderators well.

No hard feelings on my end, it was just time to move on.
Photo of Danielle Brennan

Danielle Brennan

• 94 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes

Posted 4 months ago

Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 477 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Who did you switch to?
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 831 Posts
  • 500 Reply Likes
Viasat seems to be doing a great job of driving away their customers.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes
Bye Danielle.  Glad you were able to find a "traditional" ISP close enough to get.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 660 Posts
  • 409 Reply Likes
She isn't on a traditional ISP any more than I am.  But we have found something better.
Photo of Stan N Dorothy

Stan N Dorothy

• 13 Posts
  • 9 Reply Likes
Ill be joining you soon
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 477 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
ExSatUser, what have you found to replace Viasat. Danielle hasn't told us what she is using now.
Photo of Danielle Brennan

Danielle Brennan

• 94 Posts
  • 136 Reply Likes
Tim, ExSatUser and I have moved on to Verizon's prepaid unlimited using Jetpacks. 

Viasat now has a more capacity to sell to some other subscribers at a higher price.
Photo of Tim Spake

Tim Spake

• 477 Posts
  • 263 Reply Likes
Thank you, I dont think that is an option in my area. Verizon isn't big in my area. Is it hard to find the hardware needed for this "jet pack"?
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3109 Posts
  • 1993 Reply Likes
I won't be too far behind you Danielle, I am having good luck with that plan these past 3 weeks. Just waiting a little while longer to see if the signal continues to give me usable speeds after the leaves sprout.  
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 831 Posts
  • 500 Reply Likes
The good news for me is that speeds have improved dramatically on my Freedom plan the last few weeks. So, either my beam has lost a bunch of subscribers or Viasat has tweaked their throttling so that it isn't so severe.
Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 116 Posts
  • 70 Reply Likes
Fmj77, what beam are you on?
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 831 Posts
  • 500 Reply Likes
I believe I am on beam 335. I'm in northwest NC.
(Edited)
Photo of Whitey

Whitey

• 90 Posts
  • 34 Reply Likes
I also pulled up stakes and moved to Verizon data service.  The Freedom 150 plan worked quite well for me but the 120 dollars a month for the plan was just to much.  The cell service is half that much and is really unlimited.  I think VIASAT is happy that people are giving up their 150 plans, so I hope my contribution will help those that stay will have a tad better service.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.