just got installed and Speeds are slow

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • Acknowledged
I Just got installed today with the Unlimited Silver 25 Mbps and my speeds are at best 2.5mps down and the upload does'nt get to 1mps what gives I was promised 25-30
Photo of Eugene

Eugene

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of david

david, Champion

• 517 Posts
  • 360 Reply Likes
Look at the time. It's prime time. That's probably as good as you're going to get in prime time and better than some get. Try it in the morning. If you get a lot better speeds then, it's congestion and there's nothing you can do. If it's about the same speed then you need to call Viasat to get it fixed.
(Edited)
Photo of James

James

• 323 Posts
  • 51 Reply Likes
mine has been below dialup speeds for the past month and all they say is "congestion"  no matter what time or day it is I get around 1.2mbps highest I have seen in months
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1544 Posts
  • 706 Reply Likes
What he said.
Photo of Eugene

Eugene

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
The install was completed at 1:30 PM if that's the best I'm going to get I probably should stick with my DSL where Im getting a consistent 10 Mbps (I guess it's a good thing that I did not jump the gun and cancel my DSL)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3075 Posts
  • 3023 Reply Likes
Double check your speed this morning and throughout the day/evening with a reliable speed test - testmy.net is often recommended here.

Not sure I would have swapped a consistent 10 Mbps for satellite's up to and widely varying speeds based on current network conditions - but beware you're locked in for two years unless willing to incur the early termination fees ($15 per month for remaining months of your two year commitment).    
(Edited)
Photo of david

david, Champion

• 517 Posts
  • 360 Reply Likes
If you chose satellite internet over a consistent 10 meg DSL you probably chose poorly and will have two years to think about it. :-(.
(Edited)
Photo of Eugene

Eugene

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
 Well for starters I was told 25 to 30  what speeds no lower than 12 after 150 GB as far as a two-year contract I never seen a contract never signed anything the whole thing was set up with a phone call
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3075 Posts
  • 3023 Reply Likes
Then your beef is with Viasat - not your fellow customers. A moderator will be along shortly to explain the standard drill.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1521 Posts
  • 697 Reply Likes
It's been about two weeks since I had garlic.
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3075 Posts
  • 3023 Reply Likes
That's what happens when you use up your monthly garlic alltoment - you're limited until the monthly reset.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 298 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
But you can always buy some additional garlic to get you by until then!
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3075 Posts
  • 3023 Reply Likes
Or you can always try eating more during non-peak usage periods which are typically between meal times on your beam. 
Photo of Eugene

Eugene

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Lol great  Nice to see we have a bunch of comedians.My speed experience was between the hours of 1:30 PM and 12 AM. So I got Internet that is useless to me during the times that I am home nice! The reason I come here asking questions was to see if maybe I had a problem and what you guys are telling me is I do not have a problem. This is what I can expect. As far as the contract goes coming from a "Law" background there is no contract that would hold up by a company saying there is a contract I did not verbally commit to a contract nor did I commit to a contract by signing something.   
Photo of Eugene

Eugene

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Lol great  Nice to see we have a bunch of comedians.My speed experience was between the hours of 1:30 PM and 12 AM. So I got Internet that is useless to me during the times that I am home nice! The reason I come here asking questions was to see if maybe I had a problem and what you guys are telling me is I do not have a problem. This is what I can expect. As far as the contract goes coming from a "Law" background there is no contract that would hold up by a company saying there is a contract I did not verbally commit to a contract nor did I commit to a contract by signing something.   

Michael McDowell

• 298 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
OK, I'm confused.  I don't understand how your system could have been installed and provisioned without someone being home for the installation.  Someone had to sign the usage agreement when the system was installed!  (unless things have changed since my system was installed!)
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3075 Posts
  • 3023 Reply Likes
No what we're saying is this isn't a direct support forum despite the inter-customer banter not directed at you; however, a moderator will be by shortly with the standard reply that you'll find elsewhere - send an email to viasatlistens or contact customer care by phone. They can determine whther there is a potential install issue.

That being said there are some things that you can check including variance of speed at different times (as suggested above), determining whether it is limited to wireless connectivity (i.e. is better with a wired connection). Knowing those things will yield some suggestions from a customer-to-customer perspective that may improve your experience (or not as the case may be if you're on an oversold beam).

Judge and Jury will be by shortly to debate law...   
(Edited)
Photo of Eugene

Eugene

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
( Michael ) I did not receive anything the installer was supposed to call when he was an hour away he called when he was 10 minutes away I was 45 when I got there the dish was already on roof he was waiting to come inside after modem was hooked up he left there wasnt any paperwork at all everything transpired from a phone call
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3081 Posts
  • 3026 Reply Likes
That's not the way it's supposed to work - in fact, Viasat has very specific standards for installations (as well as service calls). Google "ViaSat Installation and Service Call Standards". Not even supposed to begin work until reviewing it with you, get your approval, etc. including post-install responsibilities and you may be the victim of a shoddy install.

You're best bet is to contact viasatlistens with your account and contact information.

(Edited)
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 617 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
I agree with Old Labs.  Send us an email with a full account of your experience, as well as your account info (so we can find you!)
ViasatListens@viasat.com
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1447 Posts
  • 810 Reply Likes

Include the installer's information.  They may have forged your electronic signature to get the install done.  Some of them are that unscrupulous.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1816 Posts
  • 964 Reply Likes
I am still stuck on why, or who said, the OP would never get under 12Mbps???
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1447 Posts
  • 810 Reply Likes

A dirty installer would do that.  He knows once the system is in and the speed is lousy "That's their problem" and he got paid.

Some installers are not fit to sell/install Viasat.  My installer was miffed that I already had the pole in the ground, said I beat him out of $150.  I just wanted it where I put it and I wanted it done right. The same installer came out to install my second system and again was ticked off because again I had the pole in the ground and he didn't like it that it was 8' high.  I had to explain that we have cows that can get to that area so it had to a bit higher so they wouldn't mess with it or the overhead cable.  He had been here before and knew where he was going yet didn't have enough gas in his truck to get out of here.  I had to give him 5 gallons of gas to get him back to town.  A third system is going to be installed here and I'm going to insist that it gets put in by a different installer.

I also didn't like that he had the vertical inclination already set and didn't check to see that it was optimum.  He only did a horizontal sweep and locked it down when the beeping went solid at the TRIA.  That was good enough but I don't think it was as good as could have been.

If the OP was  promised something impossible, I tend to believe the OP.

Michael McDowell

• 299 Posts
  • 83 Reply Likes
OK, I've seen the term "OP" used here but not sure what it actually means. Customer, potential customer?  Have patience, I'm a little slow sometimes!
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1447 Posts
  • 810 Reply Likes
Original Poster
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1816 Posts
  • 964 Reply Likes
Solid beeping means it is tuned. They don't peak to a meter anymore.

I am curious too if you are building a satellite farm :)
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1447 Posts
  • 810 Reply Likes

Well.....  These modern routers allow double-WAN with auto-failsafe switching.  That's one reason.  The other is when one cabin is 2 miles down the road/creek from me and another is hidden up near the top of a mountain.  I have 2 now that go to a common  mountain top relay point for each other but the third is impractical. That first mountain relay/bridge is also the distribution point to allow my phone to work in a lot of places.  I could WiFi the whole place to one system but there are logistics involved like powering the dishes and the number of bends that would need a dish at every turn because there is no line-of-sight to my relay for the cabin up on top which is hidden from my relay by another inconveniently placed mountain.  I allow some people to visit and stay in a cabin sometimes for a few weeks at a time and I want them to have the Internet while they are here. If their phone supports WiFi calling, then they even have a phone while visiting.  3 is all I need to do this right.  I even stay up there myself sometimes and I want to have the Internet.

Photo of Jim16

Jim16, Champion

• 1664 Posts
  • 1338 Reply Likes
Sounds like a very nice place you got there!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1816 Posts
  • 964 Reply Likes
Indeed! No doubt he is the judge and jury on that estate!
Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1447 Posts
  • 810 Reply Likes

It's nice but it can get rather spooky at night... critters and things that make loud hungry noises.  The rule here is that if you break down in your car at night, stay in it until morning or if you say you're going to be someplace and don't show up I'll come looking for you.

Photo of Judge and Jury

Judge and Jury

• 1447 Posts
  • 810 Reply Likes
@@!!&*^  dbl-post %$%#@@  won't delete
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 1816 Posts
  • 964 Reply Likes
Post by both the Judge and Jury!
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 871 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
A solid 10Mbps DSL and op choose to try satellite internet. No pity if you can’t do a few google searches.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 617 Posts
  • 262 Reply Likes
I got you, J&J.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 871 Posts
  • 266 Reply Likes
What makes this forum do the dreaded double post thingy?
Photo of Eugene

Eugene

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
When I called for the install that's when I was told I would get 25 and if I went over 150 GB it would go down to no lower than 12 now I did talk to the company that I called yesterday and they said the modem has to be hooked up and running for about 24 hours I had unplug it when I left home when I got home yesterday I plugged it back up and I was getting 7 megabytes but it quickly went back down to 1.5 and eventually only .98 and no I did not do a Google search call me gullible but I generally take a man for his word so I was going by what I was told. And that's why I chose to go with satellite although I was getting 10 megabytes I could not stream TV and be on the computer at the same time... they did tell me that everything looked great on my end as far as the signal and they even ran a speed test and said something wasn't right and they had been having problems with the modems and for me to call Exede and they would put in a trouble ticket....
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick

Steve Frederick, Champion

• 2510 Posts
  • 1545 Reply Likes
Who did you order your install from? From Viasat directly, a local dealer, Directv or some other wholesaler?
Photo of Eugene

Eugene

• 8 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
It was a sign put on the end of my road with a number on it it said Exede
Photo of Old Labs

Old Labs

• 3084 Posts
  • 3029 Reply Likes
Sounds like you were talking to a local dealer (not Viasat) and got hosed from everything you've said. Do what Matt B said if you haven't already done so:

Send us an email with a full account of your experience, as well as your account info (so we can find you!) ViasatListens@viasat.com
(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice

• 1544 Posts
  • 706 Reply Likes
I hate those signs.  I see them all over the place in Baton Rouge and it makes me sick.  I live out in the country where AT&T is my only option for landline internet.  People who live in the city have the option of AT&T, Charter, and some areas even get fiber through Eatel.  There is no need for someone in the city to select satellite internet other than the redundancy it offers during a natural disaster.