Just dumped HughesNet for Exede

• Question
  • Updated 4 years ago
  • Answered
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: older post

After over 10 years with HughesNet, I finally had enough and dumped them.  The problems were legion, but mainly the poor technical support - poor English, technically incompetent and a propensity to blame the customer for every problem.  Every encounter with "technical support" was a blood-boiling, thoroughly exasperating experience where it sometimes took weeks to get resolution.

Over the past few years, I have had problems with FTP, which is vital to my operation.  Right off the bat with Exede, I noticed that my secure FTP worked flawlessly as did my remote desktop access to servers I manage around the world.  My speeds were also markedly improved.

I am curious as to how many other on here use FTP and remote desktop access to remote machines and if you have experienced any issues with those protocols and if so, how long it took to get any issues resolved.  Also, where did your tech support phone calls end up?  Were they within the USA or were they outsourced to some third world country?
Photo of nomorehughes

nomorehughes

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
  • Hopeful

Posted 4 years ago

Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3162 Posts
  • 2034 Reply Likes
All of Exede tech phone  support is in the US. You can also get good support  from the moderators by sending an email to exedelistens@viasat.com
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Steve,

That is great to know.  Above all else, It was the lack of competent support, that drove me bonkers at Hughes.

Every contact I ever had with Hughes staff was unbearable.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3507 Posts
  • 1316 Reply Likes
All of our call centers are in the US and our corporate headquarters is in Denver. 
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Lord Zedd, the lack of competent customer service/technical support was one of the major reasons why I left Hughes. Some of them were just downright rude and I got conflicting stories all the time. It was also the horrible speeds (never got more than 300kb down and had less than 30kb up even though I was paying for their premium plan -- turns out they had me permanently throttled at lower speeds) and bandwidth miscalculation. Their meter constantly miscalculated usage. I wrote a complaint on DSL reports and they practically disabled my internet in retaliation (one of the few perks of their modem software was that I could see advanced settings and saw that they were throttling my connection when I had not gone over my limit). I couldn't load jack squat and they told me it would take 3 weeks to get a technician out to see what was wrong (but there was nothing wrong with the equipment, and everything wrong with the software and their BS throttling-- they really wanted me to "upgrade" to Gen4 and were trying to force me to accept 1/4 of the bandwidth for more than I was paying at the time). I found out about Exede and was told they could be there to install in a few days.

My experience with Hughes was just awful-- even one of the "rah rah" people who said almost nothing but nice things about Hughesnet agreed that I had crap service and didn't blame me one bit for leaving.
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
"Lord Zedd, the lack of competent customer service/technical support was one of the major reasons why I left Hughes. Some of them were just downright rude and I got conflicting stories all the time."

Exactly my experience.  The very last time I was on the phone with some support flunky, they told me my speeds were "excessive" and that something was wrong with my modem.  I just about peed myself.  The idiot could not even read the speed test results correctly.

You should read the complete drivel that so-called "Champion" Charles R. Scott (who posted in this forum as a troll) posted in the Hughes support forum.  He kept telling me to prove it was Hughes' fault.  I simply could not believe what I was reading.  I posted two other threads where Hughes admitted the fault was theirs and they finally fixed it.  Simple logic eludes them.

I hope Exede never allows that a__hat Charles Scott to become any kind of authority in this forum.  He was the most arrogant, rude, obnoxious person I ever dealt with on line over there.  He is a Hughes lackey anyway.  He does not even belong in this forum.

Now that I have proven them all wrong by dumping HellsNet, I would normally expect to hear an apology.  I know it will never happen.  The point is moot anyway.
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
"In a spectacular display of physics, my cat managed to make a glass of milk fly across the room and land under the desk and soak the DW4000-- which immediately sparked and smoked from shorted circuits-- it took me 2 hours to explain to the HN tech that I was certain my modem was broken."

OMG, I got a laugh out of that!
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
My most pleasant phonecall the entire time I dealt with Hughesnet was when I called to cancel service and demand compensation for the two months that my service didn't actually work. They tried to talk me out of it and I told them that I already had a new service installed and their dish had been taken down and I would never do business with them ever again.
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Same here.  They are now demanding that I send their equipment back.  I told them to send a self addressed, pre-paid carton because I was absolutely not going to pay any postage to return their equipment.  I have already called my credit card company and told them I will dispute any further HughesNet charges.

They wanted to know my reasoning for quitting.  I read them a litany of complaints and basically told them to go ____ themselves.  The rep even choked after he had reviewed my file.
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I owned my equipment outright so they didn't ask for anything back. My cows seemed to recognize what sort of "service" I got from Hughesnet and crapped on the dish once it was on the ground.

I can't imagine anyone who could comprehend English not understanding why I left Hughesnet-- given the number of times I had to call and all the problems I had.

I do wish that I could outright buy my Exede equipment so I wouldn't have to pay the taxes on the lease fees. My bill is close to $62 each month for the $49.99 plan.
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I had toyed with the idea of taking an acetylene torch to the dish and sending it COD to Hughes corporate HQ.  The laugh would be worth the expense.

If I were on Facebook, I would fill the dish "full of holes" ;^) and post the picture.
Photo of Ben Jumper

Ben Jumper

• 40 Posts
  • 8 Reply Likes
II have had Hughes for 14 years now and have had no real problems with FTP AT ALL (I have many websites that I update) and I do have remote access to one website and although there are problems, I don't THINK that they are Hughes related.

What IS a Hughes problem , I feel , is overselling and now even Gen4 is SO slow in the evenings, whereas my friend can download with Exede at the same speed in the evenings, as I can with Hughes, in the morning!

I hope that is true for me because I just went to their house and only got 0.13 Mbps as opposed to 12-14 with Hughes.

I pray that was an anomaly!
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Ben,

The very first thing I did once I got on line with Exede was to try FTP.  It worked lightening fast.  My troubles with Hughes go way, way back.  For a long time I had no other option.

Hughes is living proof that monopolies are pure evil.

So far my internet speeds are better than ever and FTP and remote desktop work much better than at Hughes.

Good riddance, Hughes!!!
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Ben, it sounds like you have been very lucky with Hughesnet. My experiences with it were awful. I wrote a very long complaint on dslreports about it. I am so glad to have Exede now. It's not perfect, but its nice to not be treated like crap by customer service and have my internet go out every time a bee sneezed.
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Zanne, just read your review on DSL Reports.  Absolutely spot on.  I was on EQII for years.  It was barely playable.  I hear that they are coming out with EQ Next at some point.  Can't wait.  EQII has been a ghost of its former self.  Since the big Sony Hack a couple of years ago, it has  never recovered.

I am thinking about putting up a website dedicated to exposing the fraud that is HughesNet.  It will probably generate lots of activity.
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Lord Zedd, I never got in to EQII because SOE screwed me over on EQ1 and SW:Galaxies accounts. I believe EQ1 is now free to play and I think that EQII might be free. There is also an EQemulator which is free and lets you play on "easy" servers and such.

I thought that EQ Next was already out. I thought I saw a place to download it for free. I can't handle EQ on my connection though. I don't know about the second one, but the first one was unbearable on satellite. 5 minutes to zone, I'd rubberband like crazy. One day I rubberbanded back to where I was 10 minutes before in a dungeon and never caught back up with my group-- and I was the healer.

The only reason I don't want Hughesnet to go out of business is because Exede/Wildblue need some competition to keep them on their toes. Competition tends to influence improvements. Hughesnet got away with crap service for so long because they didn't have competition. They didn't start making improvements until WildBlue came along and started to compete.
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I hear you about the competition, and agree.  I just hate HellsNet so much that I would love for their mindless minions to have to go get a job with a real company - one who cares about their customers.

As an employer, I would have fired every person I spoke with at Hughes - every last one of them - on the spot.
Photo of C0RR0SIVE

C0RR0SIVE

• 41 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
[troll]
Good, means one less person on the Hughes infrastructure.
Bad, Exede now has to deal him for the next two years - have fun.
[/troll]
(Edited)
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
YOU were the last straw why I left Hughes.  You led me to believe you were a Hughes Employee and did absolutely nothing to help.  ABSOLUTELY NOTHING!  You just argued with me about the problem I was having (no FTP) and tried to blame me for it in spite of the history that Hughes was to blame every other time it failed

Now my FTP runs better than it ever did at HughesNet.  Again, PROOF that it was HughesNet's fault that FTP failed to work.

Hughes has never performed up to what they promised.  Never.  Their so-called support staff is the most incompetent I have ever dealt with, bar none.  I have never been so angry at a company in my life.  My history with them goes back years - hours and hours of wasted time on the phone talking to people whom I could barely understand and who knew absolutely nothing about the services they were supposed to be supporting.  They are utterly dreadful.

Get out of this thread and don't come back.  Your opinion is NEVER welcome.
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
And, by the way, I have never lost my cool at a company the way I did at Hughes.  That was after years and years of pure, unadulterated incompetence - plain and simple.
Photo of C0RR0SIVE

C0RR0SIVE

• 41 Posts
  • 14 Reply Likes
Well, if you would read.. Just saying. -.-
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
BS.  Don't come back in here and try and justify your attitude over there.  You were completely wrong.  It just took my firing them to prove the point.

FTP is not their only problem.  You are a "champion" of nothing.
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
Lord Zedd, I completely understand. 10+ years of a nightmare with Hughesnet. Well, originally it was Direcway. They were always slow, but the way they handled the usage was fair. I was allowed like 480Mb per day with them. Along comes Hughes to buy out the company-- cut my bandwidth to 200Mb per day and raised the price without any notice whatsoever. Their caps lasted 26 hours instead of 24. They refused to let me speak to a supervisor while I was capped even though I had proof from my router that I didn't use as much as they claimed. I unplugged my modem for 12 hours and their meter claimed I was loading 5Mb every hour for those 12 hours. I could usually understand them, but they clearly did not understand me. Took me 2 hours to explain a simple concept to them and just as long to order a replacement modem when one got fried. (They did not understand that smoke coming out of the modem and the modem not even having lights on anymore meant it was toast). I even had some of their script monkeys yell at me because what I said didn't line up with their scripts. It was always "blame the customer" and they almost never admitted to anything wrong on their end even when I proved it was on their end. I had to go to use the wifi at McDonalds to get a problem sorted out to get my internet to work again when the modem unregistered itself.

Exede isn't perfect, but 95% of the customer service people have been good and they all speak and understand English. Some even cracked some jokes. They are usually pretty good when I report bandwidth miscalculations and don't treat me like garbage.

I have never experienced so much frustration with a company in my life as I did with Hughesnet.
(Edited)
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Zanne,

Hughes did the same to me to get me to go to Gen4.  They would interrupt my service randomly until I switched.  I kid you not.

Once I was on Gen4, they messed up my accounting and were billing me for the old service right along side the new, Gen4 service.  I was paying for the old modem along with the new modem.  I found out about pretty quick because they would interrupt my browser with a message that my account was in arrears.  I knew this wasn't true because the credit card charge (now twice as big) was showing that an amount was being paid.

They referred me to some script monkey in the Philippines (who also didn't speak English) who told me and this is a direct quote, "Once you are in our system, things cannot be changed."

I said, "Really?  Listen, clown, I am a software developer and I know what you can do with software."  That problem took six whole weeks to get straightened out and only after the script monkey escalated the problem to someone stateside.

I remember getting an American on the phone for the first time and exclaiming to them, "Thank, God!!!  An American!!!"  Only then did I get the problem solved.

There is no depth to my hatred for HughesNet.  I have already cost them 6 customers in my area and  am bound and determined to carry on my crusade against them at every possible turn.  You know the old saying, "make one customer happy and they'll tell three people.  Make a customer unhappy and they will tell ten people."  In my case, I am telling hundreds of people.

Good riddance to HellsNet.
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I was glad that I heard of Exede because I really did not like the plans being offered by Hughesnet for Gen4. One of their service reps practically called me a liar for saying how much bandwidth allowance I had on my plan at the time. I had to point out that it was a legacy plan that was no longer offered. I wish I could remember the name of the person who told me about Exede, but I am very grateful.

I only got an American twice in all the years I dealt with Hughesnet-- and I had to call hundreds of times over the years. I was having to call multiple times per month the last several months. One of the Americans was nice. Unfortunately, the other was the snooty rude twunt who told me that I needed virus scanners, talked to me as if I were stupid and knew nothing about computers (I studied computer science in college), and told me that I had uploaded that 1500Mb. When I pointed out that it was a download and my speeds weren't fast enough to download that much, she hung up on me.

I sometimes had to hang up and call back to get a different phone monkey because some of them were just so incredibly inept and unhelpful. On the funnier side, I had one dude hitting on me because he realized I knew a lot about computers (and I suspect he wanted a green card). That was rather creepy.

Any time I see people saying they want to sign up to Hughesnet, I tell them "NOOOO!!" LOL.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4367 Reply Likes
Most corporations outsource their administrative functions (phone support, billing, etc), it's cheaper. Outsourcing doesn't automatically imply it's "offshore" - it would appear Exede's is U.S. based if in fact outsourced (neither confirmed nor denied by ViaSat).

I previously worked for a large technical corporation having some 50,000 plus employees - internal support was outsourced to another U.S. firm - it was terrible and referred to "customer no service" or the "helpless desk"  - they had little vested interest in the firm and were simply interested in meeting their minimal contractual requirements. The majority of the non-technical employees in each office simply came to us techies for assistance. FWIW, their technical support actually got better when they outsourced it offshore - quality isn't affected by international boundaries.

(Edited)
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Labs,

HughesNet had a captive audience at one time in my area.  They had no interest in providing good support.  They didn't have to.  People had no choice.

Competition is a good thing.  I hope Hughes goes out of business.  They deserve to.  They are the worst company I have ever dealt with in my life in every aspect.  Every encounter with them saw my blood pressure rise to 300/200.  They were infuriating to deal with for over 10 years.
Photo of zanne

zanne

• 209 Posts
  • 61 Reply Likes
I bet Hughesnet was highly pissed off when Viasat sued Loral Industries and filed for an injunction against Hughesnet being able to launch new satellites with the stolen technology.

While being in the US doesn't guarantee competent technical support/customer service, it is more likely to have people who actually comprehend English. Language was a huge barrier with Hughesnet.

Btw, for anyone interested in why I despise Hughesnet so much: http://www.dslreports.com/comment/1678/83440
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
I read the report.  100% accurate.

No one despises HellsNet more than I.  No one.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3507 Posts
  • 1316 Reply Likes
Thank you for the praise NoMoreHughes. It seems that FTP works fine with us based on the feedback in this thread. To answer your question about if you have to call in, our tech support teams are located in the US. You'll likely speak to someone in Texas or Nevada and our corporate office is in Colorado. We hope you enjoy your time with us!
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
Thanks, Brad.

Yes, so far, so good.  My speeds are far better than with Hughes and my FTP is working way better than it ever did at Hughes.

Also, speeds seem to be more consistent throughout the day.

This is NoMoreHughes.  I dropped that moniker now.

Thanks for the reply!
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3507 Posts
  • 1316 Reply Likes
No worries! Let us know if there's anything we can further assist you with (or if you need help dealing with those pesky Power Rangers)
Photo of Lord Zedd

Lord Zedd

• 34 Posts
  • 21 Reply Likes
LOL!   Yeah, when I was coming up with a screen name, that was the first thing that popped into my head.  Many a good time sitting around the TV when the kids were young.
Photo of Tom Cordle

Tom Cordle

• 9 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I'm late to the fray, and I have no experience with Hughes, other than to point out when they were Direcway you were required to uplink via a landline – utterly absurd. That's why I went with Starband, their only competitor at the time. I stayed with Starband for 13 years before switching to Wildblue/Exede. I only did so because Starband was a PITA trying to set up an in-home network. Their tech support was first-rate, however. Exede's support has been very good, but I wouldn't rate it as great.

My only serious complaint with Exede is 10GB per month gets eaten up really faaaaaast, and I rarely had that problem with Starband. We don't use the Net for movies and the like. but even the occasional YouTube video seems to eat up monstrous bandwith. That said, I realize that navigating the Internet is MUCH more bandwith intensive than it was 16 years ago when I first got on Starband.
(Edited)

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.