Issue with data usage

• Problem
  • Updated 5 years ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
Archived and Closed

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies and is no longer visible to community members. The community moderator provided the following reason for archiving: Problem acknowledged. Email provided for assistance. No need for further agent response.

I had this same problem last month, and found out we needed our antenna realigned. Techs came out and did that, and it did help somewhat with increasing our speed. We determined our router was bad, so I bought a brand new one. We've also bought a brand new PC. Before this past 3 days, I had not been online at ALL in over 5 days. I waited on purpose until our roll-over on the 28th, so I could see if our problem from last month was truly fixed. At first I thought it was, so I resumed my normal routine of being online. (Some browsing, no videos/facebook, a couple of games on my Kindle, is about all I do.) There were a few things I needed to download, so I PURPOSELY waited until the LNFZ to do what I needed to do.

I continue to check at least once a day to monitor the usage and it has already reached 3.1GB. It may seem like not a lot right now, but if it continues to rise at this rate, when there's really no reason for it to, we'll be at our cap AGAIN in 15 days like last month and I do NOT want that to happen.

I'm just so frustrated, because all of the "big data usage activities" are things we do NOT do in our house. We do not watch movies, our DirecTV is not connected to the internet because we don't have a landline, we don't stream live video, we don't download anything unless it's during the LNFZ.

Again, I'm just trying to be proactive and prevent the same thing that happened last month from happening this month and every other month. Exede is our only internet option, and up until all this started happening, we've been pleased with our service the past 7 years.
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
  • frustrated

Posted 5 years ago

Photo of Jim

Jim, Champion

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Are you sure your DTV is not using data? Not having a landline has nothing to do with DTV being connected to the internet. Check out the free monitoring service networx to see if you can identify where your data is going.
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
None of our receivers are connected to anything other than the TV. We don't watch OnDemand, messages, YouTube etc. or any of the "extras" that you can do if it is connected to the internet. The only time anything is "downloaded" with regard to the DTV is if there is a software update on the receivers, but even that isn't all that often and usually done overnight anyway.
Photo of Jim

Jim, Champion

• 542 Posts
  • 279 Reply Likes
Your DTV receiver upgrades do not come from the internet so they will not count towards your usage. If your DTV is connected to the internet there could be some other kinds of downloads happening so you should make sure your DTV receivers are not connected to the internet.
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
They are not connected to the internet. They never have been in the almost 8 years we've been in this house & had Wildblue (and now Exede). That's why I am just so confused. In all that time, we have never come close to going over our usage, and then last month just one day all of the sudden it jumped a large amount, and has been an issue ever since. And there has been nothing out of the ordinary that I can put my finger on that any of us are doing different. It's not like on one certain day, I can say "oh yeah, we watch 5 movies that day"...we don't do that, and never have. I can count on 1 hand, how many movies we've bought through DirecTV over the years, and none in the last 6 months. Just really frustrated at this point - I just checked my data again and it's at 9.7GB out of 15GB and there are still 23 days left in the month.
Photo of Starring Matter

Starring Matter

• 290 Posts
  • 221 Reply Likes
Jennifer,

Do you have Apple devices in your home?  Apple when from iOS7 to iOS8 this/last month, so perhaps your iphones/ipads have been updating to the newest software?
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
No, no Apple products. Only a Dell PC & laptop, Kindle Fire HD and one Droid Razr phone. All automatic updates are turned off, so that I have to manually decide when to download and install them.
Photo of coonhnd

coonhnd

• 33 Posts
  • 13 Reply Likes
You need to download network/data monitoring app cause it will allow you to monitor exactly what apps are using the data.
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I have downloaded the Networx service, and have it installed, but don't really know what I'm looking at in order to read it correctly.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
Jennifer, I know what you mean aboutn networx..takes a while to figure it out if you aren't a techie(i am not)...another free thing you can download is satellite restriction tracker" which is not owned by exede but is directly linked to your exceed data usage, so you can start by comparing that to what exede says your usage is...in my case, the data usage is the same both by exede's and satellite restriction moniotor's numbers.
here is a link:
http://realityripple.com/Software/Applications/Satellite_Restriction_Tracker/#.VC9fWqhdX50
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thank you, I will download this and see what I can find out.
Photo of Camille

Camille

• 1 Post
  • 0 Reply Likes
Do you have a password set up on your router? If not do so right away! People can be leeching off your internet because it is open and not password protected. 
Especially if your router has been off for awhile. The password has to be reset. Hope this helps 
Camille 
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Yes, in fact we just bought a brand new PC & Router and installed it last week. The network was manually set up and password protected. This is all just so frustrating. All of the "big data using" 'culprits' are things we don't do. Before last month, we had never had an issue and then all of the sudden one day it jumped by a large amount. Ever since it's been like this. But nothing has changed in our "routine" that I can put my finger on.
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
It wasn't by any chance a new PC with Windows 8.x pre-installed was it? If so there are some features sometimes pre-configured that have the potential to burn through your data. At the same time, it likely required some automatic updates.  I can't offer any specific recommendations since I don't use it, but undoubtedly there are others here who've encountered the gotchas.    
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3073 Posts
  • 1973 Reply Likes
If using Windows 8 on satellite service, it is important to turn off any cloud based apps, ensure that the "Metered Internet" is selected. There are many other data hogs included with Windows 8, but since I still use Windows 7, others will have to chime in with their suggestions.
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I still use Windows 7 also, even with the new PC we just bought, I made sure to get one with Windows 7 because that's what my laptop is using.  As I said in another post, I have turned off all automatic updates, so that I have to manually decide when to download/install them.
(Edited)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
You chose wisely :-)
Photo of Exede Kimberly

Exede Kimberly

• 879 Posts
  • 202 Reply Likes
Jennifer, the guys here are giving great information that will help you get a hold on your data as it can be tricky. If you send us an email to exedelistens@viasat.com, we can take a look at your usage to see help see where it is being allotted each day. Look forward to hearing from you.
Photo of LorrieL

LorrieL, Champion

• 647 Posts
  • 219 Reply Likes
I am hoping Lab rescuer is going to read this and give that link again to the writeup on how not to use too much data on exede...it is EXCELLENT at pointing out ways you may not realize data is getting used, and what to do to stop it.Hey lab rescuer, do I have your permission to desseminate that link if on this forum as long as I give you the credit?

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Sure go ahead, no copyrights implied or intended - http://sdrv.ms/1gFmTkI - that's what it's there for - those who can't believe they ate the whole thing. The other document is there for times when you conclude somebody else drank your milkshake - and it does happen occasionally.    
(Edited)
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
I read through both the files on that link, and most of it are things I'm already doing. This whole thing is getting VERY frustrating and I'm getting quite angry over it. Just today, the ONLY computer with active internet connection is my laptop and all I have done is open 2 webpages, read through my twitter feed and scrolled through my instagram feed. Nobody else has used the internet except me. I have not watched ANY videos, downloaded anything - just simply READ some posts on a message board and my usage has jumped from 68% to 92% data since last night. What frustrates me so much is that I have not done anything different in months but all of a sudden 15 days into my billing period last month it jumped up and has been that way ever since. Now it's currently 8 days into this month and I'm already at 92%?!?! I'm about ready to pull out my hair! If it weren't for the fact that we are in an area where this is our ONLY option for internet I'd do something else in a heartbeat, which up until this point we've been very satisfied.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Jennifer,

Sounds like you've not only been proactive in managing your usage but have also exhibited the patience of a saint while ensuring the problem's not on your side.

Time to send another email off to exedelistens@viasat.com if you haven't already done so or haven't heard back yet. Exede has the ability to peer into your modem and see things us mere mortals can't. Act quickly and they may be able to get a good idea of where that more recent data went before it scrolls off their logs.    

The only other thing that hasn't been ruled out is your router despite being new. Knowing the make and model might ring a few bells for those of us in the peanut gallery - since all are not created equal. Bypassing your router and connecting the laptop directly to the modem may help to isolate that. You may also want to check the router's firmware - most supply a utility to determine if up to date as well as update if needed. Even if new, you don't know how long it was sitting on the shelf somewhere.      

Beyond that, it's starting to look like an install issue - you indicate you switched from WildBlue to Exede - I did too and am starting to see some steady, but slow deterioration, which I'm at least for now, an attributing to reuse of the WildBlue cable that has now been exposed to the elements for some 9 years. I imagine once it reaches a certain point, it will appear to be sudden.   

The only other thing I can attribute my slow deterioration to is tree growth which may be starting to infringe on my line of sight - but that obviously doesn't suddenly occur as you've described. In my case I'll probably just replace the cable and check the grounding myself to see what happens, since I really like the two trees that are the possible culprits - so I've granted them a pardon for now.

Too many possible points of failure along an approximate 88000 mile round trip when sending a request and getting a response - I'm surprised anything works.                               
(Edited)
Photo of Jennifer

Jennifer

• 18 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes
Thanks for the reply, I have been emailing back and forth with Kimberly, so I'm hoping to hear something from her soon as she was checking on a couple of things for me.  I keep getting the same 40% Media, 40% Web-Browsing, 15% FileSharing and the rest is "Other".  That's where the confusion lies...the 40% Media should be WAY less according to the list of "uses" I was given that comprise "Media". We just don't DO any of them. DirecTV is the only thing we have, and as I've said before, our receivers are not connected to the internet at all. They never have been in 8 years. So that shouldn't be affecting anything, not 40% worth anyway.  As I told her, if ANYTHING, I would have expected the 15% FileSharing to be more because I do at least do some of that and would not be surprised in that total. That Media number is just the one that is blowing my mind.

The router I bought is a Linksys. I've read some positive and negative about them, but for what we use the internet for, they've always been fine. The one I just replaced we'd had for several years and had no issues.

As far as the change from Wildblue to Exede, this is not a new issue either. We upgraded back when Exede first rolled out. I've been trying to go back in my mind and try to remember the day I saw such a jump in usage initially. So much has happened since and I've gotten so frustrated that I can't remember specificially. I think it happened not too long after the new Dashboard thing rolled out because I remember thinking that the new meter wasn't as "detailed" as the old one on the Wildblue Portal page (and even it wasn't that great).

It's just so frustrating to me that we've gone for YEARS and our usage "routines" have not changed then all of the sudden one day it's as if we've been on a movie marathon and downloaded music for hours while live streaming a ball game. NONE of which we do at all...EVER!

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.