It has begun

• Problem
  • Updated 2 weeks ago
  • Acknowledged
Well, it seems my area is seeing the congestion now. Things have been decent (1-3 Mbps) until tonight and now Speedtest either outright fails to complete or I get results like this.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes

Posted 2 weeks ago

Photo of Susan Jenulis

Susan Jenulis

• 53 Posts
  • 37 Reply Likes
If internet is our main choice for info, this is not a service giving us what we are paying for and I agree with Voyager, the pain is continuing from viasat and, yes, we will complain. viasat should be complained about on this forum, that is what it is for.  I hope I’m one of the five, I like the company.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 706 Posts
  • 216 Reply Likes
I wasn’t complaining so much as simply stating the facts.
Photo of Ben Jumper

Ben Jumper

• 28 Posts
  • 6 Reply Likes
Me and most everyone else on hears KNOWS that over 90% of people are at home AND on the Internet during these trying times, with nothing else to do! The eight-lane highway is clogged!

That is why so may ISPs have removed caps on home broadband plans; pretty hard for a satellite provider to do!
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Cell wireless can get pretty over burdened, but they can add capacity in a reasonable amount of time. I swear in only the last 6 months two more towers appeared within a 10 mile radius of my location.
Photo of Voyager

Voyager

• 748 Posts
  • 236 Reply Likes
True, cell folks can add towers fast, but you have to get fiber to most towers to really make them effective and that can take more time.

The disadvantage of fiber is that it takes a long time to deploy, but once deployed its bandwidth is nearly infinite for all practical purposes. The limiting factor is typically the Tx/Rx electronics and that can be upgraded fairly quickly to take advantage of WDM and then sophisticated modulation techniques can be applied to each wavelength. GEO satellites are classically slow to build and deploy. LEO are certainly better if they can get the rocket re-use sorted, but they have lost their last two boosters at sea so that isn’t boding well in the short term. I think both the timeline and cost will suffer greatly is they keep losing boosters.
Photo of Homeskillet

Homeskillet

• 727 Posts
  • 320 Reply Likes
Can't they use those machines that bury electrical cable to bury fiber optic cable? In about 4 hours they went 1/4 mile and laid down a cable that had two 0000 size and one 0 size aluminum wire in it. The machine had one arm that trenched and another that laid the cable fed off a big spool. This was to my place and the ground is hard clay with football sized rocks mixed in. I have never seen what they use to lay fiber optic.
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2467 Posts
  • 1521 Reply Likes
And the troll's ignorance and immaturity continues.