it don't work

• Problem
  • Updated 3 months ago
  • In Progress
my internet shuts itself off 5-6 times a day at all hours, not just peak. slow is one thing but off in the middle of something is another
Photo of Sheryl Kirksey

Sheryl Kirksey

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
  • pissed

Posted 3 months ago

Photo of Sheryl Kirksey

Sheryl Kirksey

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
unfortunately, not too many internet providers in my backwoods community. this was the only one without a 6 mo waiting list
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Sorry, hopefully it is an equipment issue, but knowing Viasat I doubt it. I take that it isn't caused by rain. Mine dropped out up to a dozen times even on clear days with no wind.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1803 Posts
  • 1135 Reply Likes
Sheryl,

Your best bet is to either call 855-810-1308, or email them at viasatlistens@viasat.com.  Make sure to include your account info if you email them so that they know who you are.  
(Edited)
Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 53 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Gabe, Look at the reality, many rural subscribers have NO other option. When your signal goes sideways wifi is dead. Nearest landline phone is 6 miles. Cell signal is 1.5 miles up the front hill until phone sees a tower well beyond optimal range. Here at the edge of silicon valley the random disconnects 4+ times daily has gone well beyond annoying, Data use from unexplained, random daily drops should not be counted. If it is a hardware issue your tools should point to exactly which component, where it is accessing, xmit/rec numbers, last good comm and that data should be available to the customer. Very much like reporting in USDA RFP you are going after. Santa Clara County, Santa Cruz County, and San Mateo Farm Bureaus are registering complaints in Calif and with USDA on the cavalier disregard shown to rural customers. Today, 4/5/19 speed has varied from .1mbps to 1.5mbps. Those numbers mean the tools did not time out waiting for responses. Along with the miserable speeds were another 3 that timed out.
Photo of Thanos

Thanos

• 7 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Do you get paid?
Photo of Sheryl Kirksey

Sheryl Kirksey

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
NO I DO NOT.  Are you seriously asking this question? 
Photo of Charlie Harris

Charlie Harris

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
I never ask that..I told you what happened to mine..
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 1803 Posts
  • 1135 Reply Likes
Martin Seebach,

Just what is the point of your reply?  Are you suggesting that when someone is having a problem with their service going out they should avoid contacting ViaSat for help, and they should instead try to figure out the cause, and the ultimate fix, themselves?  Or that they should just accept the issue as the norm?  

When it comes to the OP's issue, the instructions given were correct. It sounds like she ultimately DID figure it out herself, but that still doesn't at all negate those instructions.  Nor does your reply. 
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
A lot of people do call tech support and end up wasting a lot of time due to the fact the problem is good ole congestion in their area. I believe most people know how to reboot a modem which is #1 on the scripted list at the foreign call centers, and probably is the most common cure for issues related to equipment.
Photo of Charlie Harris

Charlie Harris

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
Lol ..we rebooted it so much ..that's a joke..dam..the light don't even show a connection to the satalite..it's junk..
Photo of Sheryl Kirksey

Sheryl Kirksey

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
sunny and warm today.  i gave up my old provider when i moved, they were much better but not available here.  can't sit on hold all day but hope they get it fixed. 
Photo of Nathan Hart

Nathan Hart

• 419 Posts
  • 141 Reply Likes
Doesn’t.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3416 Posts
  • 1283 Reply Likes
It sounds like it could be an issue with equipment. Gabe posted the contact information above but please contact us and we'll take a look for you!
Photo of Carmen Machuca

Carmen Machuca

• 1 Post
  • 2 Reply Likes
Worst internet service ever! It's really slow and it won't work. I'm cancelling my account with you guys.
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3409 Posts
  • 1279 Reply Likes
Hi Carmen

Please call us at 855-463-9333 or email viasatlistens@viasat.com and we'll see if this is something we can fix first
Photo of Sheryl Kirksey

Sheryl Kirksey

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
thank you everyone for the help. it was an over heating issue. the installer left the box flat on my carpet. i moved it up on the desk and put small coasters under the corners and now it's staying on
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3409 Posts
  • 1279 Reply Likes
Glad we that was fixed for you Sheryl
Photo of Martin Seebach

Martin Seebach

• 49 Posts
  • 7 Reply Likes
Sheryl, how was that determined please?
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Bad install, total knucklehead move. I wonder if Viasat has a system to rate techs and not reuse ones that make stupid mistakes? My guess would be no. For what rural area techs are paid I doubt they get very good ones.
Photo of Sheryl Kirksey

Sheryl Kirksey

• 6 Posts
  • 5 Reply Likes
when i checked it, it was very hot to the touch. when i moved it and gave it air flow it cooled down it quit shutting off. it was hot enough to be hard to move without gloves
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Charlie, isn't it amazing how Viasat tries to up sell unhappy customers? Every time I called and complained about outages they tried to sell me easy care. I told them they were either going to comp a service call or cancel my service. I got 3 service calls comped and they never found anything wrong.

The thing I noticed around here is Hughes Net doesn't seem to make customers return outdated equipment when they end service. I noticed quite a few Hughes Net dishes completely intact in areas that now have hard wired high speed internet.
(Edited)
Photo of Charlie Harris

Charlie Harris

• 13 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
No one will ever hardwire here..population 8..closest town 45 mins away..phone lines won't handle dial up. .and cell phones don't work..it's dish ...and a satalite internet service
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Sorry Charlie. There are some states where you would be amazed the places they have hardwired high speed internet in due to government grants. Fortunately for me cellular wireless internet has improved so I could dump satellite. Cell service still spotty and I often drop calls, but the internet never drops and runs around 8-12 Mbs. From what Verizon says the hot-spots have antenna way stronger than the cell phones.

This conversation is no longer open for comments or replies.