Issues with Service and Support

• Problem
  • Updated 4 days ago
  • Acknowledged
I have been a long time customer in and through Viasat and its various name changes and identities and I shell out just short of $200 a month for its service. I have had an ongoing issue with Viasat service for about 6 months now and no one can seem to help me. In looking for other options, as I am coming close to regrettably canceling service, I came across a thread online that similar my issue: https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/throttled.

In a nutshell over the past 6 months I have had poor service that hovered right around 1 Mbps. During my calls to resolve this, phone support advises a hard reboot of the modem which restores me to 15-20 Mbps and then they rush me off the phone...but the 'fix' is only good for about 10-30 minutes before my service degrades back to 1 Mbps. Regardless how many times or ways I try to explain this to the Support Agents, they always have me repeat this and once its rebooted, I get rushed off the phone and told to call back again when it happens (which is 10-30 minutes later guaranteed). Honestly it become so frustrating I stopped calling in and decided to just try and live with it.

But recently it seems to have gotten more out of hand so I have tried working with the Support Staff to fix it again. Only twice in those 6 months have I had an agent both listen and understand the situation enough to take time to actually try to work through it more than 'let's reset and then call us back if it happens again'. Both resulted in a Service Call. The first Service Call was about 2 weeks ago and the modem was swapped out, that worked well for about a day, then it made the situation worse as now my system will now intermittently drop signal over and over throughout the day. Yesterday another Service Call occurred to fix the slow speed and signal drops and the whole dish was replaced...that solution did not even last the day before it everything started to crash even worse than before with the modem now on an intermittent rotation of every color of light it has at its disposal on top of the original issues.

This catches us up to now where I called into report this and instead of listening to anything I had to say, I was fed the same bit about rebooting and then rushed off the phone but as I was being rushed the modem light turned RED and the Support Agent stopped, put me on hold, and then when she came back online had the gall to try and up sell me to a new plan saying that would fix my issues...

This is not acceptable...I have emailed the ViasatListens email and now posted here (as getting through chat and phone are both laughable at this point) and I hope between 1 of the 2 places, someone within the company will take time to make this right from both a technical perspective and a customer satisfactory one.

Photo of VampClutch

VampClutch

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1610 Posts
  • 937 Reply Likes
My guess is you are on the 150GB priority plan. They want you off that plan. When you restart the modem, you are getting unthrottled speeds because the algorithm to deprioritize your speeds has not taken effect yet. When it does, you experience slower speeds.

My advice is to move on. A number of us on 150GB plans did. Your only other option would be to change plans. By doing that, you might get better speeds. But chances are you will be paying more for less.
(Edited)
Photo of VampClutch

VampClutch

• 2 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
Thanks, I figured it was something to that effect. Pretty crappy, but I should not be surprised as its been pretty par for course with any Sat Internet I have used...Yeah, my whole crux was do I want the data or the speed, data was preferable as I WFH and need all that I can get but I thought that I would at least inquire. Although, all the troubleshooting done has just made things worse...I could at least grin and bear the slow.

Still I would like someone to be answerable for current situation...if 6 mths ago an agent said I was 'over a barrel' cause of my grandfathered plan, then so be it and I would have been done. But now, 6 mths, countless phone calls and chat sessions, 2 service calls, an unusable system that is forcing me to use my mobile hotspot to work, and a lot of 4 letter words said to myself later I would like someone to come clean and work with me to a satisfactory resolution...

Thanks ExSat for the insight and honesty...
(Edited)
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3178 Posts
  • 2046 Reply Likes
VmpClutch, You must have ignored that email from Viasat back in February, explaining the  data plan changes for the 150GB plans.
Photo of jethro

jethro

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
You must have received a far different email than I did.

What do the updated policies mean for you?

• Your current service plan (FREEDOM) offers download speeds up to 12 Mbps. This update clarifies that this is the median speed you should expect, when measured across all 24 hours in a day for these service plans. This means you should expect that half the time you see speeds that are faster than 12 Mbps, and half the time speeds that are slower than 12 Mbps.
  • The monthly price on your current service plan will not change.
  • Speeds during busy periods (typically in evening hours of each day) may be well below 12 Mbps, regardless of how much data you use. Your service plan does not have a strict data allowance. When you use more than 150 GB in your monthly billing period, your service speeds will be slower than what you experienced when using less than 150 GB.
Explain to the rest of the class what we missed.

Photo of jethro

jethro

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Well, Champion, the class is waiting, what did we miss?
Photo of jethro

jethro

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I received the following from something called Champion as an email.  Our Champion must not know how to use the Open Forum so I will post his reply:

GabeU (Champion) commented on a reply to this problem: Issues with Service and
Support

Are you the OP, George?  Did Steve say anything to you?  Steve was replying to the OP, and the email those with the Unlimited plans with 150GB of Priority data received.  

THAT's what YOU missed.  

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2233 Posts
  • 1365 Reply Likes
Yes, and it was deleted, by me, as I subsequently decided it wasn't worth it.  

And yes, George, I know very well how to use an open forum.  Perhaps you don't, as you decided to reply to a post in a defensive manner, when that post was not a reply to, nor directed at, YOU.  Are YOU the OP?  Unless you have an alternate name, that would be NO.   
(Edited)
Photo of jethro

jethro

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Many of Viasat's customers on the Freedom 150 plans feel violated, so Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion's comment (" VmpClutch, You must have ignored that email from Viasat back in February, explaining the data plan changes for the 150GB plans.") is an affront to me as well. No one ignored anything, Viasat is misrepresenting the intent of the email and you sir Champion are supporting the same propaganda. I hope they are paying you well for your lapse of character.

Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 2233 Posts
  • 1365 Reply Likes
And that kind of reply, which includes a baseless claim, is precisely why I deleted it.  To avoid that.  Steve, OTOH, was smart enough to not take the bait in the first place.  Lesson learned.
Photo of margie simms

margie simms

• 6 Posts
  • 1 Reply Like
So for just a tic shy of 1 month of no service and 4 tech visits plus the fact that we have to drive 20 miles to get any other wifi. the best could be done was 63.00 off my bill.  Do they not count the trouble this service has cost myself and family.  NOPE don't care.  sorry just had to vent
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3179 Posts
  • 2047 Reply Likes
I switched from the Freedom 150GB plan to the Liberty 12GB plan, cost went from $100 to $50 a month, while my speeds went from less than 1 Mbps to 18 to 20 Mbps. Even on the Liberty Pass my speeds are around 8 Mbps, even during prime time. I also picked up the Verizon prepaid unlimited data only plan as a backup.
Photo of ExSatUser

ExSatUser

• 1610 Posts
  • 937 Reply Likes
Unfortunately, that is not true for all locations. Care to pay $200/month for 65GB priority and up to 12Mbps?

Liberty isnt even available in my area.

Regardless, after the way Viasat treated a segment of their customers, I wouldnt pay this company a dime more.
Photo of jethro

jethro

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I am looking at a Weboost (www.weboost.com) cell booster since I don't even get a decent cell signal.  Anything has to be better than the treatment we get from Viasat, even dealing with a cell phone company.  At least the cell phone company has a little competition and a live person to go see if everything goes south. They will at least give me a kiss before they have me bend over.

Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
The hotspots have stronger antennas than cell phones. It is possible to have internet from a cell provider even when their phone service is spotty. My phone varies between 0-3 bars in my house even without moving. The Verizon Jetpack gets two bars and works fine. It's signal stays pretty steady.
Photo of jethro

jethro

• 18 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
I hope that the combination of the Weboost and the hotspot will deliver me from the evil of Viasats constantly changing policies seemingly designed with only Viasat in mind. I should know in a week or two. The booster has been ordered. I will report back.
Photo of Will Seemore

Will Seemore

• 386 Posts
  • 125 Reply Likes
Cheapest plan where I am at is now $110 a month plus $150 for installation for 35gb and "up to 12 Mbps" I wonder if the service improved as people in my area have flooded to Verizon and ATT.
(Edited)