Is Viasat working on any new projects?

• Idea
  • Updated 4 months ago
I hope Viasat has been working on something new. Most customers still have viasat 1 and that’s been out for while. Viasat 2 is supposed to be good but not as many have it. Maybe they could launch a viasat 3 soon with some new tech for those still on viasat 1. Does anyone know if they are?
Photo of Viacrap

Viacrap

• 38 Posts
  • 22 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Spinninghorse

Spinninghorse, Champion

• 271 Posts
  • 85 Reply Likes
Considering what we have been through the past 3 yrs, the 'promises' (for lack of a better word), you must be a troll.  :-D

(Edited)
Photo of Robert Mach

Robert Mach

• 38 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
Viasat 3 is three satellites.  I think they are putting more importance on airline wifi than ground customers.  
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
The first Viasat 3 is scheduled for sometime in 2020.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 796 Posts
  • 492 Reply Likes
We had our hopes up that Viasat 2 was going to provide major improvements to our service. It never did due to the antenna issue. I won't keep my hopes up for Viasat 3.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
I expect VS3 to be focused on commercial and government service, not residential BUT, that means those three birds will pull a lot of that load off of VS 1 and 2 and, that alone will improve residential service on the two older satellites.
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 789 Posts
  • 489 Reply Likes
I hope that V3 helps ease congestion on the other satellites. Still, I'm going to be cautiously optimistic.
Photo of .

• 178 Posts
  • 40 Reply Likes
Cautiously optimistic is good with many things.

Lots of hype for VS-1, never covered here or half the country.  Exede5, initially very flaky, every install I saw had failed downloads and page timeouts.  By the time the plan was finalized and meter kicked in, beam closed for years.  VS-2, that issue, here, cheapest plan is $110 total for 360p streaming, up to 12, and 35GB threshold (if the threshold means much when they start rearranging plans.  If I still relied on satellite, I'd be thinking Viasat doesn't think much of this area, and optimistic would be an overstatement of how I'd feel.  I'm just hopeful things get a bit better for the neighbors that can't get cellular service.  I was hopeful they'd offer a budget $50 plan of some type for some people (capped, throttled, whatever), don't think that will happen.  They do offer that 70 miles away, plus several other better plans.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
That would do nothing for the consumer Bev. Viasat-1 technology is becoming outdated. Viasat-2 is a crippled satellite that failed to reach its potential.

More of the same? No thank you.
Photo of Robert Mach

Robert Mach

• 38 Posts
  • 3 Reply Likes
My speeds are getting worse daily.  I used to get 10 Mbps and sometimes 18 Mbps.  Now I get 1 Mbps.   I'm on Viasat - 1, wildblue.  
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
ViaSat-3

The ViaSat-3 ultra-high capacity satellite platform is comprised of
three ViaSat-3 class satellites and ground network infrastructure. The first two satellites will focus on the Americas and Europe, Middle East and Africa (EMEA). A third satellite system is planned for the Asia-Pacific region, completing global service coverage.

See: https://www.viasat.com/products/high-capacity-satellites

Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Only projects viasat is working on is how to get more of your munie and give you less data/speeds
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
They seem committed to this project. Surprised we haven’t heard many saying their Liberty Pass speeds have gone to pot. The links to the new policies in my email indicated that those speeds could/would be affected as well. This will hit everyone at some point. It was argued no one was being throttled for years. Simply congestion. Now we see they are not just capable, but will utilize it with an in your face approach.

Switch to another plan though and continue to enjoy great service.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Viasat has NEVER said that they were not throttling anyone. Some plans have always be throttled once the customer used more than the amount of data included in the plan.

Classic, Liberty and, Freedom plans have always been hard throttled after exceeding the data included in the plan. What's new is deprioritizing those of us that have older Freedom  and unlimited plans even thought we had priority data remaining.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
Keep defending them Bev. Enjoy the slower service for your money. I’m talking about during priority data being throttled. It’s not new for some of us in my opinion. You’re now living with the speeds some of us have endured for a while. Evening speeds have been around 1Mbps consistently for a while. I’ve always thought my speed was throttled. Now I just know it is.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Throttling would suggest a hard cap as Bev stated. Perhaps with the traffic management changes it is just taking longer (i.e. the prioritization)

Dont get me wrong, I think these policy changes were a slap in the face to existing customers in an effort to get people moved to higher priced plans or sell more subs. My guess Viasat has experienced a static revenue stream for their residential service and is panicking a bit.

I think a price increase would have been a better route. I think people would pay more if they could keep their existing plans with the original featires.

I mean after all, if you like your plan you can keep your plan. Right? Right? Now who said that...
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1279 Posts
  • 415 Reply Likes
My fav Pres.

Throttling suggests speeds are slowed by predetermined algorithms. As we now see, they are alive and well. Consistent, slow speeds have always been suspicious to me. Too consistent to be congestion. Once again, my opinion, just as others would disagree. Evidence is beginning to suggest otherwise though.
(Edited)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
i was cruising along fine till 8 pm all of a sudden at 8 on the dot my modem rebooted itself and when it come back up i was getting 20-40 kbps and before the reboot i was on a steady 5 mb 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
But you are over your cap.  You should be throttled :)
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
yea but not down to 7kbps like im on most nights lol 
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 290 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
viasat2 High denisty beam here has went to hell too now when I hit the 100 data cap on the 50 mbps Im slowed to 0.24 mbps right at 8PM usually and they say throttling is based on how full beam is and it dont matter what plan your on! ppl paying $150 per month shouldnt be slowed way down where they cant watch video! I can understand slowing down a little bit like down to 5 mbps for a few hours but less than 1 mbps is BS but I guess its the same for ppl paying $200 a month and get 100 mbps speed and than slowed down to less than 1 mbps after 150gb cap! Maybe eventually I will have another option here where I am but for now its either Viasat or hughes! and as far as towers Im right on the edge of both at&t and Verizon towers and get 1 bar on my phone! BTW dont viasat have the ability to expand the beam on viasat2? If so would be nice if they did! would also be cool if we could turn priority data off late at night during the day too save priority data when so many ppl isnt online or give us a freezone from 8-11pm at night hahahahaha wishful thinking! or go back to 150 cap on all the unlimited plans! or something! Anyway just ranting  I guess I will have to deal with this for a year and hope viasat3 takes alot of weight off of viasat2 or pray that other options arrive here for me!
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
@mf Oh man they got you to huh ? That sucks , Rant all you like i enjoy reading it : )
(Edited)
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 290 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Yes Gwen they got me last month I used 526gb there will no more of that and hahahaa Im done ranting for now except its a shame that they take advantage of customers because they no they have no other option its either viasat Hughes or dialup lol
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
You are correct. I doubt they want someone to use over half a terabyte a month.

But it is "unlimited" right?
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 290 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
Yes its unlimited just not fast enough at times
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Did they slow the liberty plans down like this also ? Not sure if they did  couldnt hurt to check on that , it seems after you use your priority data your not slowed to a crawl on liberty plans like we are on unlimited https://community.viasat.com/viasat/topics/first-really-bad-night-since-starting-service-5-weeks-ago
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Probably because they want people off the "unlimited" plans and back to the Liberty plans now.
Photo of mferner

mferner

• 290 Posts
  • 66 Reply Likes
I emailed brad and he said the network policy change did not affect my plan on viasat2 But It seems it has because before when I went over 100GB My speed would be at least 10 mbps in the evening! But on my account page my only option is unlimited plans ranging from $70-$200 as far as Liberty plans I have no clue!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Yea. You wouldn't be. But again, they dont want anybody using that much data, regardless of plan or satellite.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
So the liberty plans will most likely stay 5 mbps + in the evening when over priority ?
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
No. It will slow down too. But people on Liberty plans and Viasat-2 are not impacted by these data management changes.

No movies tonight? No SIMS? No cow tipping?
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
I'm on the couch watching House hunter reruns lol on the laptop When i go to my room ill stick in some old b movies and watch till i fall asleep , Just made peanut butter and jelly sandwiches ( Strawberry jelly ) Usually end up with bits and pieces of jelly on my chin and tshirt no clue how lol also opened up in another tab browsing new houses some , be fun to get a older one like you see in horror movies 
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
I have satellite internet longer than you have been alive (depressing to me I know).

Hopefully you will find good, reliable high-speed internet that meets your needs.
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Lol you cant be that old , My uncle died last year at 101 , if hed made it to september he would have been 102
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
I would hope your great uncle...
Photo of Gwen

Gwen

• 320 Posts
  • 225 Reply Likes
Im not sure lol 
Photo of Ronald Stricklin

Ronald Stricklin

• 321 Posts
  • 124 Reply Likes
Viasat is working on a number of projects many of which we will never learn about and some we will hear little about until right before launch. We know they are in the development stage of viasat 3. We know they are in the research stage of a Medium earth orbit satellite constellation to work in conjunction with HEO's like Viasat 1/2/3. These will potentially bring lower latency and much higher speeds. They are also working to make what they have more efficient. 
Photo of Casual Observer

Casual Observer

• 422 Posts
  • 436 Reply Likes
Apparently just acquired Verizon Wireless.
Photo of Michael McDowell

Michael McDowell

• 626 Posts
  • 238 Reply Likes
Maybe they will have more competition in a couple of years!

Loon Takes Its Broadband Tech Up a Notch With Satellite Deal
Photo of fmj77

fmj77

• 796 Posts
  • 491 Reply Likes
So that's 4 companies talking about LEO satellite services. Spacex, Oneweb, Loon and Blue Origin. Interesting.