Is Viasat slower than dialup when paging e-mail like WildBlue?

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
My WildBlue Satellite Internet was slower than my land line (32K) because of their reaction time to a new page request about which they lied and said it was the latency of the system instead of their slow response to an almost instantaneous request for a new page. How is Viasat DIFFERENT or would i find Viasat 'slower than dialup' just like WildBlue ??
Photo of Cg Arnell

Cg Arnell

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 7 months ago

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes

You are still going to have the high latency north of 500ms per second, but overall Viasat is much faster than Wildblue.  You are comparing technology a decade old versus technology a few years old. 
Photo of Cg Arnell

Cg Arnell

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes
anybody?
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes
I guess You are nobody VetSat....
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
I guess so!

How about you or Stephen give it a whirl!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes
What plan are you on and have you used all of your priority data?
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
The time it takes for your request to reach the destination server is latency, that will be more on satellite than dial up HOWEVER, once said request is received, the actual page load time will be much less with Viasat than with dial up.

Downloads are faster with Viasat, Fast Twitch mmo games (first person shooters for example) will perform better on dial up but, downloading the game initially would take much longer on dialup.

I hope that helps you understand the difference. Dial up - slow speed, low latency. Satellite - high speed, high latency. Fiber- high speed, low latency.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2178 Reply Likes
anybody?
Photo of Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
To say satellite is high speed compared to high speed fiber might be a bit of a stretch!
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
I had Wild Blue, Excede, and Viasat they were equally as bad where I was at. The service was over sold in my area, many times it was worse than dial up, sometimes dropping out a dozen times a day with no excuses for weather. The people answering you are the small number who have good service because their areas are not congested. their results aren't typical, yet they will claim their good service is a result of their doing, which isn't correct.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
For about the 100th time, there is no difference between Exede and Viasat. It is the same service. Viasat even owned Wildblue for a number of years, but Wildblue is a different service.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
For the 100th time does anyone notice for all the thousands of people who complain about VIASAT here, there are a half dozen or so people who make excuses for their poor service and build them up. They are either paid shills, VIASAT contractors, or 40 year old virgins living in their mother's basement with nothing better to do.

Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
I make 6 figures, have a graduate degree, and work for a Fortune 500 Company.

Forgive me for spending some time trying to help others with a technology I have been using for 20+ years.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
For the 44th time, Al plays one of his shill cards... must be a box of 50.

When in doubt, resort to ad hominem... I personally prefer using the "well you're an old poopy pants" gambit rather than the "shill" gambit.
(Edited)
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Hmm I do NOT have poor service from Viasat - I have Good service form Viasat.
            I am NOT paid or otherwise compensated by Viasat in any way, shape or, form.
            I am NOT a contractor nor installer for Viasat.
            I am NOT 40 years old.
            I am NOT a virgin.
            I do NOT live in a basement, I don't even have a basement.
            My mother passed away in 1983 and, her house was sold in 1984 and, demolished to build a new mall so, living in that house at all would now be impossible for me.

Please explain what makes you think any of your suppositions are factual about any of the champions here?
Photo of Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314

Steve Frederick-VS1/Beam314, Champion

• 3073 Posts
  • 1973 Reply Likes
I am a Champion. I do have great service from Viasat.

I am not paid or compensated by Viasat in any way, other than getting great service.

I am NOT 40 years old, or even close to that.

I proudly served in Vietnam 50 years ago.

My mother passed away 50 year ago and her house was sold.

I live in my own house with my dear friend Melvin, a Tuxedo cat.

I do have multiple degrees, but am no longer working.

Al, I am so sorry if you feel so negatively about Viasat, a service you no longer have but keep carrying on about how terrible it is.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
I'm paid by the post. I responded to one of those roadside signs touting work from home with your own computer. I called the number on it and was surprised by the person answering who said Viasat Marketing,, how may I assist you? So here I am.        
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
Post while you can. Once multiple government agencies, including the state of Florida, bring down Viasat, I guess we will all have to get Hughesnet.
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Nah, just hit me up for that "Satellite Secret Sauce" I've got it figured out now - a nameless elf over in Denver gave me a whole jet load of the stuff and, the recipe so, we schills will be fine, don't think the government wants to loose that sauce either. XD

• 3073 Posts
  • 1973 Reply Likes
Not to worry about the state of Florida bringing down Viasat for a while. All the officials are still struggling with how to get an accurate count in the last election.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3172 Reply Likes
And the 2000 election!

Still waiting, BTW. for Viasat to be featured on Good Morning America and/or MSNBC on how much of a scam it is!
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
My posts about my negative experience with VIASAT seem to be disappearing, why is that? VIASAT sucks, keep trying to access the internet any other way.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes

That's because you're not smart enough to use this forum correctly...

View previous....
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
The same half dozen VIASAT shill losers seem to show up in every thread, what the hell
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Maybe because we actually enjoy trying to help people solve problems with Viasat service and, help them make the most of whatever plan they happen to have.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
Most Champions do nothing but condescend toward people who complain and then brag about their good service.

• 3103 Posts
  • 1988 Reply Likes
I don't brag about my service, I just am stating the facts about my service. I am on here to attempt to provide help to those users who really are looking for help with their internet or their equipment.

Al, in all your 50 or so posts, I have never seen you try to provide any help to others, but would rather try to put others down. But you are free to post whatever you wish, as long as it is within the terms of service. Everyone is entitled to their opinion.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
The only Champion who incessantly brags about his service is Stephen.

And yes, I agree, it is tiresome.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
I only bad mouth the homers who bad mouth the people who complain about their service. Believe it or not when most people hear "Speeds up to 12MBS" they never think their actual speed will be 1/12 of that quite often. The common retort from the homers is "Did you read your contract" . How is that helpful telling someone they were duped by deceptive advertising?

I did my research before moving here and trust me, deceptive marketing abounds in my area and not just for utility services. My favorite one is for my business supply places claiming to stock certain items on their websites when in fact they special order them at a high markup on a two day delivery. My research on satellite internet led me to believe I would be ok as long as I didn't use much data or play video games on line as that are what most of the satellite internet complaints are about.

I am lucky Verizon Wireless finally improved service in my area where it is usable for my needs. Speeds are .5MB on a bad period which is rare, normally 5mb-10mb, but it never drops so I am perfectly happy.

Another annoyance here is from certain homers ripping people for expecting cable speeds out of satellite. I don't see anyone complaining about not having speeds of a 100MBS+, which is what modern city cable will do. The Comcast at my girlfriend's house in the suburbs of Washington DC tested at 147MBS on Christmas.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Viasat quality of service depends a lot on location. Some beams, especially in Virginia, have a lot of users and speeds degrade more than say parts of the upper midwest.

As far as the "up to", I can probably count on one hand how often I have done a speed test showing 12Mbps or higher. And I have had the service since Viasat-1 went online in my area.
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
So why is VIASAT bombing the local TV here in Virginia with ads claiming "Fast internet for all" and "Better than slow DSL"? They are aggressively selling their service in an area that they must know their service is terrible.That is flat out fraud.

Old Labs (VS1-329-L12FZ)

• 4281 Posts
  • 4366 Reply Likes
Because after a 6-8 month absence plans are now being offered once again on  Viasat-1 beam 329 covering much of Virginia - Liberty plans only. At the same time the Richmond TV coverage area also covers other beams (both Viasat-1 and Viasat-2). I've yet to see the ads on any DC stations but the DC demographics are much different and probably don't justify an ad buy.

If you have a product to sell you market it where it can likely be sold - northern VA markets have more internet options available to them.

The disclaimers are on the ad in fine print. The "better than slow DSL" claim is actually based on the FCCs Measuring Broadband America report (the report itself is deceptive and slow refers to rural DSL tiers comparing median speeds of each - and again medians can be very deceptive). The "fast internet for all" also carries a fine print disclaimer on the ad  - service is not available in all areas and speeds are not guaranteed. Does that make it right? No, but I didn't fall off the turnip truck just yesterday.

If an ad sounds to good to be true, chances are it is - I'd no sooner buy internet service based solely on a TV ad than I would my pillow.

For now beam 329 is running pretty smooth for me and has been for months - that will likely change as they load 'er up again.  But I really have no idea and have no explanation for why experiences differ so dramatically on the same beam. Verizon is not an option for me or I would try it - no reliable cellular service except for simple voice and that's not the greatest either. 
(Edited)
Photo of Al Santayos

Al Santayos

• 229 Posts
  • 106 Reply Likes
A lot of people did fall off of turnip trucks. I have one friend who is at least as tech savvy as I am and at least average intelligence tell me my Viasat problem was I needed to up grade my plan. Another said I needed to upgrade my computer. They said no way Viasat could get away with making claims they could not deliver on.
I understand they can't help everyone, but they should let people cancel with no penalty if they can't deliver to minimum standards or if your service doesn't meet a minimum standard you pay a reduced rate.

As for Verizon not being an option I didn't think it was either until I tried it. For some reason the hotspot functions better off the signal than my cell phone does. My phone can vary from 0-3 bars in the same spot by the minute, some calls are great, some terrible. Sometimes the phone won't drop a call for weeks, then a call will drop 3 times in 5 minutes. The hotspot seems pretty steady depending on where placed in the house, but still only 1-2, bars, yet it has never dropped out. I tried AT & T wireless years ago and it did not work, so I assumed Verizon won't even know because cell coverage actually regressed here and did not improve.

I had techs out 3 times and all the visits went the same, after the basic tests I then showed them websites I had problems using. They instantly blamed my computer and to prove it the connected to VIASAT and went to the same website, when they started having the same problems they started blaming the website, it was the same old crap over and over again.
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes
"A lot of people did fall off of turnip trucks."

And unfortunately they seem to all land here....
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
And the holidays are over!

• 3103 Posts
  • 1988 Reply Likes
But we are entering a new weekend. Ugh! 
Photo of Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver)

Deku (The #1 Hero Data Saver), Champion

• 931 Posts
  • 505 Reply Likes
@VeteranSatUser YAY FOR THE HOLIDAYS ARE OVER :D

@Steve Fredrick and yes, yes we are entering a new weekend ;-; i too also feel all of yalls pain to be honest ;-; BUT!!! "FEAR NOT CITIZENS!!! FOR HOPE HAS ARRIVED!!! CAUSE I AM HERE!!!"

@jim16 LOLZA!!! XD!!! your joke is funny XD way too funny XD
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2453 Posts
  • 2179 Reply Likes
Nice to see you back Deku!
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 5133 Posts
  • 3175 Reply Likes
Careful. It could be the anti-Duku!
Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3287 Posts
  • 1462 Reply Likes
Yep, gotta be the weekend, there's a semi tractor sitting in my driveway, hubby's pickup is missing, as is hubby and, I just got the notification that something has been charged to the Home Depot card - definitely the weekend. LOL.