Is this normal? I'm supposed to be able to watch youtube videos at 480.

• Question
  • Updated 6 months ago
  • Acknowledged
  • (Edited)
I've been miserable ever since changing from my previous plan to the newer Viasat. If you spend all of your time on youtube, you essentially only get 480, which isn't broadband. But I digress. I'm willing to live with 480. But that doesn't always work. It does sometimes. On shorter videos it almost never works. What I mean is that instead of being able to simply watch videos, I'm spending my energy dealing with intermittent buffering when viasat doesn't keep up with the streaming. This is nearly every video. Here's one I just watched as an example. Also, I am anxiously searching for an alternative to rural broadband. 
Gene Ammons And His All Stars - Groove Blues
Photo of Gregg Kuljian

Gregg Kuljian

• 17 Posts
  • 2 Reply Likes

Posted 6 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3076 Posts
  • 1291 Reply Likes
How many devices do you have connected to your router or modem? The speed is split between all devices that are using data. If two are trying to stream, then, that 1 Mbps or so is split between them so, yes it buffers on both then.

1 device, no other internet using programs, apps or processes running, only one tab open in browser and, yes, if there is not a weather issue at your home or gateway, 480 is fine.
Photo of Bradley

Bradley

• 1087 Posts
  • 353 Reply Likes
Not a fan of the OP’s derogatory comment, but the above explanation is wrong. Each stream should pull its own 1MBPS. Assuming overall speed is sufficient for each stream, you should be ok. That said, YouTube is notorious for buffering. I’ve had videos buffer on fiber connections. I think it’s more of a server issue than the quality of your connection.

You could double check your resolution settings. ViaSat seems to “try” and stream at higher resolutions before the video optimization kicks in if your settings are on high resolution. This causes buffering.
Photo of Matt B

Matt B, Viasat Employee

• 843 Posts
  • 433 Reply Likes
Gergg,

I've edited your post for profanity.  I get that you're frustrated, but please keep it civil.

As for your post, check Bradley's response.  If you follow his suggestion and still have the same issues, please send us an email with your account number and a description of the issue.  

ViasatListens@viasat.com
Photo of James Paramore

James Paramore

• 148 Posts
  • 55 Reply Likes
The link you posted is not a video, it's audio only and it played fine for me, no buffering. I'm on the Unlimited Bronze 12 plan.