Is there any way to block sexual content thru router.

• Question
  • Updated 5 months ago
  • Answered
I want to block all sexual content that comes into my router
Photo of Merry Bormann

Merry Bormann

• 0 Posts
  • 0 Reply Likes

Posted 5 months ago

Photo of Bev

Bev, Champion

• 3067 Posts
  • 1285 Reply Likes
What router do you have? If you mean the Viasat Modem, then no beyond blocking internet access by changing your wifi password and not giving it to people viewing such content. If it's another brand of router, contact them.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 906 Posts
  • 554 Reply Likes
If it's a computer that you're worried about there are a few DNS services that block adult content.  OpenDNS Family Shield is one.  It's free.  Norton ConnectSafe is another, and it is free, as well.  

If you're using a third party router, you can configure the DNS via the router to block the content on any device that uses it for its connection.  

I should add that I don't have ViaSat, so I don't know if the DNS server setting is configurable in the ViaSat modem itself.  
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3390 Posts
  • 1951 Reply Likes
Good luck trying to stop it. There are tools you can use on a computer to prevent it, but tablets and mobile devices are a different animal.
(Edited)
Photo of Andy Schack

Andy Schack

• 854 Posts
  • 753 Reply Likes
If you buy one of the better Netgear routers they have parental settings you can employ. 

Andy
Photo of Brad

Brad, Viasat Employee

• 3090 Posts
  • 1088 Reply Likes
I think the best bet is to utilize some parental control program via a router or one of the suggested programs above. 
Photo of johnny c

johnny c

• 303 Posts
  • 120 Reply Likes
I haven't had the need to do this but on the Viasat Modem options there is a tab named Parental Controls. It has options that will supposedly block certain devices,  web sites and control the time the internet is available.

Parental Controls Help InformationParental Controls can restrict Internet access for up to five computers or devices. You can block Internet access or limit it to specific times, and you can also block specific websites.Parental ControlsEnabled/DisabledTo restrict Internet access of computers or devices in your local network, select Enabled.Access Blocking PolicyThe list displays the computers affected by Parental Controls.Enter Policy NameEnter a name for the policy.StatusTo restrict Internet access of computers or devices in your local network, select Enabled.Target DevicesIf you want to apply Parental Controls to more computers, click Add Another Device. If you no longer want to apply Parental Controls to a device, select it and click Remove.Block Internet AccessSpecify when Internet access is blocked. To never block Internet access, select Never. To always block Internet access, select Always. To specify days and times when Internet access is blocked, select Specific times.ScheduleSpecify when Internet access is blocked.Never/Always/Specific timesTo never block Internet access, select Never.To always block Internet access, select Always.To specify days and times when Internet access is blocked, select Specific times.Block Specific SitesURL 1-8. In each field, enter a website address that you want to block.

(Edited)
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2200 Posts
  • 1095 Reply Likes
There used to be a lot of programs you could install on your computer back in the day.  Two programs I can remember were BeSafe and I Am Big Brother.

Both were very good programs and difficult to disable.

The router option would be ideal, but here is something to think about.  It is very easy to get around a router.  All your kid needs is a patch cable and they can plug directly into the Viasat gateway, effectively bypassing your router and its protection.   

Kids these days are smart.  It is a lot easier to bypass a router than it is to crack a password for a program installed on a computer.  The only real way to prevent bypassing the router would be to keep the router and Viasat gateway locked in a room the kids can't access.

That's my professional opinion.  I'm pretty sure I made the moderators chuckle with another post I made, but of course they had to take it down and I don't blame them.

Just glad I'm still here to do a little more trolling.  I've got a trolling motor and the battery hasn't died yet.

Not banned yet...
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 906 Posts
  • 554 Reply Likes
Stephen,

Can the DNS server setting be changed in the ViaSat modem that has the built in WiFi?  
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3390 Posts
  • 1951 Reply Likes
Many people have tired to bypass the Viasat DNS server. Short of using something like a VPN, not sure how else.
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 906 Posts
  • 554 Reply Likes
Ah.  Okay.  The reason I asked is that with HughesNet's WiFi modem you can change the DNS server used, so I thought that maybe you could do the same with Viasat's.  It's understandable, though, for them to not want people tooling around in the modem's settings.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3390 Posts
  • 1951 Reply Likes
The Viasat DNS is tied into the technology to provide faster speeds. If you do bypass it, your system will perform slower.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3390 Posts
  • 1951 Reply Likes
I also wanted to say, no matter how hard you try, kids find a way!
Photo of Jim16

Jim16

• 2203 Posts
  • 1909 Reply Likes
"Not banned yet..."

You must have 9 lives Stephen!
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2200 Posts
  • 1095 Reply Likes
I love the comment that was put in the email I received when my post was deleted.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3390 Posts
  • 1951 Reply Likes
Well Stephen. There is always DSLReports. You and DrStrangelove can be the only 2 that hang out there!

Good content on that site for all things internet infrastructure related. Might want to skip the Wildblue/Exede/Viasat forum on there though.
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2200 Posts
  • 1095 Reply Likes
Cool.  I'll have to keep that in mind in case I ever get banned around here.  The good news is, I own a forum of my own, DMCToday.  Its pretty hard to get banned on there and I think I have something like 700 members.
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3390 Posts
  • 1951 Reply Likes
What is it about? Maybe I can stir discussion up on yours and be a shill for something!
(Edited)
Photo of GabeU

GabeU, Champion

• 906 Posts
  • 554 Reply Likes
DeLoreans.  
Photo of Stephen Rice

Stephen Rice, Champion

• 2200 Posts
  • 1095 Reply Likes
What Gabe said.  It started out as a very family friendly place and it has drastically gone downhill over the last year or so.  Its a trailer park dream come true.
(Edited)
Photo of VeteranSatUser

VeteranSatUser, Champion

• 3390 Posts
  • 1951 Reply Likes
I find the man more fascinating than the car. He was something else!